“Lovely lunch in a comfy country atmosphere”

The Devonshire Arms
Ranked #2 of 29 Restaurants in Langport
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We dropped into the Devoshire Arms this lunchtime around 1.30.
The menu choice was broad and attractive. The staff were welcoming and attentive.
We enjoyed scallops on an artichoke puree as well as a beatiful goats cheese dish.
The beer was local and good.
There is much to recomend about this place and i can't think of much to criticise

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Poor range of pretentious dinner offering at London prices and not worth the money. poor service from untrained staff and aren't I the best attitude from owner, no personality at all. This could be a gem in new ownership with someone who has customer skills and the right attttude. Visited for lunch once,just OK apart from the prices, but dinner was a business embarassment, poor choice of food and dreadful service,would not go back awful all round.

1  Thank Stephen P
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Having eaten last weekend in the Devonshire and this weekend at one of the top 10 restaurants (pubs) in Somerset as voted by trip Advisor reviewers, I felt I had to write a review about this place, as it knocks the socks off the top 10 entry.
We were given a warm welcome when we arrived and given time to make our choices. We decided to enjoy a glass of wine sitting on the sofa by the fire before taking our seats at our table and placing our order, which we really liked. Too often we spend £60 on an evening meal and find we are in and out within an hour.
The wine choices were good and reasonably priced. The food again was good and the choices varied and interesting. My husband really enjoyed his steak and I loved my hake. He did say however the steak did not come with any of the 'trimmings' which he would have liked.
We also had deserts and enjoyed them very much.
I do have one criticism and that is the tables set for 2 people are placed far too close together. The people sitting on either side of us could not help but listen to your conversation and vise versa which was rather uncomfortable. The tables were set so close together that to get out and go to the bar/toilet you had to put your bum in someone's dinner. I understand this is all about making money, but I think on this note customer satisfaction has to be more important.
We really enjoyed our meal at the Devonshire and were nicely surprised at the very welcoming relaxed atmosphere and reasonably priced food...we are locals having lived in the area for 10 years, but we have never eaten here before as everyone says how expensive it is and I was always put off by the sports cars parked outside (thinking I would feel uncomfortable in this environment), but in all honesty these preconceptions were unfounded.

1  Thank Well_travelled35_44
Reviewed 17 October 2013

A really excellent manor house hotel/restaurant/pub in Somersetshire's ham stone country.We enjoyed a friendly reception from a barman/maitre d' who readily and accurately described each of the well kept draught beers on tap and then seated us with the very comprehensive menus for lunch.,Every dish was carefully presented, roast duck, smoked mackerel, and a superb Caesar Salad.....Here was a Caesar! When comes such another........ the best I have had of many. Small crlsp lettuce leaves, crunchy croutons blended with a delicious dressing and locally smoked Chicken topped with shavings of real Parmesan.Perfection in a tranquil setting!

1  Thank Michael R
Reviewed 13 October 2013

A city oasis in the country. Many locals find The Devonshire Arms pricey - but you get what you pay for. The food is outstanding.

1  Thank ClubCar26