“Everything a Hotel should be”
Review of Devonshire Arms

Devonshire Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Langport
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Everything a Hotel should be”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed for two days visiting friends locally, staff were welcoming on arrival, nothing too much trouble. early evening good mix of locals and guests in bar and restaurant. Menu varied and food exceptional, wine list price and quality adequate. Rooms and facilities were charming and very comfortable, breakfasts freshly cooked with fresh fruit and all juices and cereals.
All staff were charming and helpful and owner very professional in all areas in making sure your stay was perfect.
Exception value even though the weather was appalling, rain hail, but Hotel was safe from flooding.
Would recommend to all, including families with children at any age.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We were shown this place by some friends. And we now go here every few months. The staff are wonderful there is always a great vibe. The location is beautiful & peaceful. The pub itself is gorgeous inside & out. I have never had a bad meal or experience here. The food is exquisite. And I always look forward to going here. I just wish it was closer for us as we live in wedmore so its about 40mins drive sometimes.

• Stayed July 2013
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

We visited the Devonshire Arms on Sat 21st for a birthday meal for my sister in law. We all had an amazing evening with fantasic food. Very relaxing and made to feel welcome by all the staff. I had the partridge for starter and venison for my main, both where faultless and the chocolate and Bailys torte for afters. Already looking forward to our next visit.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Took my family to lunch and Sunday 15th December with small granddaughter who was treated exceptionally well. when booking we were asked if we needed a high chair, but as she is four she was seated at a table between us. the lunch was excellent. more than enough to eat especially as we had three courses. the service was excellent, no waiting forever as some places we have visited. the Devonshire was busy, but everyone was well looked after. I would recommend this to anyone wishing to have a meal.Very well priced. will visit again.
Carole Burridge

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Yeovil, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I should start by saying that I visited the Devonshire in search of a good pint of real ale, not to eat. The 'Dev' is after all in the Good Beer Guide this year. I didn't try the food and for all I know it could Michelin quality. However, the same cannot be said for the beer. My friend and I ordered a pint of Moor's Amoor, an excellent beer from an excellent brewery in the same village. Being forced kicking and screaming through what looked more like a lager font than a hand pump should have been enough of an indignity for this noble ale, but it was badly poured to boot so that the first attempt was half beer, half head. The server then scooped out the froth, topped up and repeated until eventually we were handed two wet glasses. The beer wasn't unpleasant but I have drunk far nicer pints of Moor's and I think the lack of quality was far more to do with the way it was served than the way it was brewed.

But what about the place itself? A country pub this is not. It is without doubt very plush and you can tell that it has had a lot of money spent on it. But the result is an aloof cosmopolitan sterility more reminiscent of a West End restaurant than a village pub on the green. Not very welcoming. The atmosphere was virtually non-existent and the diners (of which there were admittedly quite a few) ate their probably delicious meals in virtual silence. I would venture that it is, shall we say, a little pretentious, certainly for my liking.

If the Devonshire is going purely for the whole 'posh dining experience' vibe, then it may well have succeeded. And I would applaud them for that. However, I shall never know for sure because I don't intend to go back and try the food. Their one opportunity to fish me in has unfortunately failed.

However, if it is nothing more than a decent pint of real ale that you want from a proper English pub brimming with atmosphere, then I would recommend driving the extra 2 miles to the Halfway House at Pitney. And we did.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SimonPates
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Maybe it was a Wednesday evening which made this evening not as enjoyable as the excellent Sunday lunch I had there a couple of months back.A lack of atmosphere in was is a tastefully decorated lovely building.
The manager/owner makes you feel awkward on arrival. he lacks charisma for his front of house position.
The menu is limited.
The £18 steak I had was average considering the long spiel about how they source the best of local produce written on twin blackboards in the paper table clothed dining area.
And I would quite like a steak knife with my steak.
And how about when I have a fairly soft ice cream its not really advisable to serve it on a roof slate.
A bowl is designed bowl shaped for obvious reasons which will become apparent when you try to chase your soft praline ice cream off of something which should be copper nailed to the roof.
And when I come to pay it would be nice if the awkward manager asked if I had a nice meal....or say anything while my debit card connects.
I live locally and I can say there are better pub/restaurants within a few miles of the Dev.
And you will save yourself a tenner or two in the process

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matty558
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Dropped by today.

Great service and the food is really great.

I had the beef burger so well made and yummy homemade salsa and triple cooked chips.

He had the smoked chicken Caesar salad.

Only good comments to say we loved it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langport
Ash House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Martock
Lanes Hotel
Lanes Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Coker

Been to Devonshire Arms? Share your experiences!