“A good surprise”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Somma Lombardo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A good surprise”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had to stay here recently because of an early flight and thought we would be in for a terrible experience after spending 2 nights in 2 mediocre hotels. Wow - what a surprise this was - easy check in and showed to a delightful and very nicely furnished room. Very large and extremely comfortable bed with really good bed linen, a lovely well equipped bathroom and excellent tea/ coffee making facilities. An extremely tasty dinner in the hotel restaurant - we will definitely return when we need to stay over at the airport - also well priced.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We arrived at reception about 9.15pm after an agonisingly long wait for baggage to roll off at Milan airport. There were two staff dealing with one guest who was enquiring about some issue.
We waited patiently for about five minutes for one of them to make themselves available and to check us in.

My wife is an Ambassador Platinum Priority member so we use this group of hotels whenever we can and thought checking a guest in would probably be the most important thing to do when they arrive - particularly at that time of night.

Getting to the room the first thing my wife wanted to do was to have a shower after our long 22 hour flight from Australia. So we were not impressed when the shower was just luke warm. We were really looking forward to a nice steamy hot shower to help clear out a bit of congestion we had picked up. Back down to reception I went as they did not answer the phone (must have both gone back dealing with that guest).

The male reception person came upstairs with me to check the temperature. Another five minutes trying to convince him that hot water normally generates steam in the room led to another person having a look at the temperature. We finally managed to get some hotter water through the system but still not hot enough to produce steam.

In the morning the water was so hot that even on the coldest water setting it was far too hot - we couldn't win and just wanted to get out of the place.

To their credit breakfast was a good acceptable range of items.

This hotel needs to recognise that the first choice for travellers for Milan airport accommodation would be the Sheraton which one immediately sees when coming out of the airport. So to continue to maintain the loyalty of regular travellers such as ourselves there needs to be a focus on the absolute basics - such as prompt service (and hot water at all times of the day).

We used the hotel shuttle service getting to the hotel and were quite lucky with the timing as we only had to wait about five minutes before it departed the airport. But travellers should know that if you just missed the shuttle the wait would have been at least another 30 minutes.

This is one hotel we will not be using again in the future.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Salvatore M, Direttore at Crowne Plaza Milan - Malpensa Airport, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Guest good evening,

we apologize for any inconvenience during your stay.

Regarding the hot water we had a problem that has been resolved promptly, regarding the 5 minutes waiting for the check-in I will do my best to reduce the waiting time.

Travellers are raving about these Somma Lombardo hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The rooms are fine, quiet with all modern amenities. Hotel staff is overworked not enough people to handle things when large groups of people arrive or depart. allow plenty of time for checking out because of this. Staff is not helpful and restaurant is disappointing. They will try to talk you into getting breakfast at the hotel but it looked horrible. Better to eat at airport. For dinner, a short walk away is Samaranda a local place, much better. Shuttle system to airport is great. Allow 20 -25 minutes.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Salvatore M, Direttore at Crowne Plaza Milan - Malpensa Airport, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest good morning,
we apologize for the inconvenience during your stay.
The only thing that I can not understands is why our breakfast is terrible, we serve both continental and American breakfast with a wide selection of quality products.
Thank you for choosing our Hotel.
Province of Seville, Spain
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

If you need to go to the airport before 6 then they will charge you for the bus only after 6 it's free. Also if your not lucky you will get a room that has a connecting door to the other room so if you don't like that you should request that.
It's around 10 minutes from terminal 2 and the bus doesn't go to terminal 1. Service at the bar of the restaurant is very cold. In my opinion next time I will stick to the Sheraton in the malpensa airport it costed some more but is much better !

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Danny S
Dear Guest good morning,
we apologize if we disappointend your expectations.
We would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel.
St. George, Utah
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I rarely expect much when staying at an airport hotel. Nonetheless, it was a relief to arrive at such a clean, modern, nicely appointed room so close to where I would fly out of Italy the next morning. I didn't see any restaurants around, or any other businesses, for that matter, but we did get a good dinner and an excellent breakfast at the hotel. The staff was efficient, well groomed and seemed well trained. Ride to the airport was only 5 minutes. Would absolutely stay here again, if I was flying in or out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David D
Maryville, TN
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I spent one night at this location prior to an early morning flight. We arrived at the Malpensa Airport via the Malpensa Shuttle from central train station, but upon arrival we had a difficult time locating the shuttle pick up location for the Crowne Plaza hotel. We were instructed by the woman at the "info" booth that we would need to call the hotel because there were no signs directing folks to the hotel shuttle area. Now, I know that placing a call should sound simple, but being that my husband and I are silly Americans, we had no idea how to use the rather odd pay phones, and the "info woman" was not going to place the call for us. So, needless to say, we were not able to call for the shuttle even though I had the phone number in my hand. Finally after walking around for about 30 minutes, my husband saw the shuttle pulling away through some gates. The pick up spot is at #3 and it's right beside the area where the Malpensa Shuttle picks up to take folks to the main train terminal in central Milan. There is a small sign 1/2 way down the pole showing that it's the designated area for the Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn Express shuttle, but it is poorly marked. The shuttle picks up every hour.

So, after an hour wait, my husband and I were finally dropped of at the hotel. The check in was quick and easy. I had made a prepaid reservation through Booking.com at a rate of $99 per night and this rate included a very nice, American-style breakfast. We spent the night in room 216 which over looked the street in front of the hotel. The room was very modern and spotless. The worse part of this modern facility is the fact that the thermostat will only go so low (I'm sorry, but I can't remember the exact limit) and the room was warm and stuffy. The blankets had to be taken off the bed during the middle of the night. Given the close proximity to the airport, the room was very quiet and we were not disturbed with any noise. The staff here is very helpful. The hotel does have a full service, but quite expensive, restaurant. We asked the staff if they could recommend a local establishment and they recommended a restaurant about "300 meters" away. My husband and I took a quiet stroll down the street thru this quaint little town (about 3 to 4 blocks) to the restaurant that they recommended. (I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but it reminded me of Sambuca or something like that.) The recommendation was spot on!!! Delicious and very economical.

The next morning, the shuttle ran every 30 minutes and the Crowne Plaza was the 1st stop before the Holiday Inn Express so there was plenty of room. I would definitely recommend this location for an overnight stay!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank angi1968
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed one evening before we left Italy for home. The location & price was perfect but we too had a difficult time finding the pick up area at the airport. Also, the options for dinner were limited and average at best. That being said I found the hotel clean, the room comfortable and the people pleasant. As a hotel member I did receive free wifi for as long as I needed.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Idea Hotel Plus Milano Malpensa Airport
Hotel Villa Malpensa
Hotel Villa Malpensa
#1 of 1 in Vizzola Ticino

Been to Crowne Plaza Milan - Malpensa Airport? Share your experiences!