“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wellington
Hertfordshire
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed at this Travelodge for the second time en-route to Cornwall. It was clean, comfortable, quiet and the room could not be criticised in any way. Would thoroughly recommend as this particular Travelodge is new and everything is in good condition. Sadly this can't be said for some other Travelodges in the country as they are often in need of upgrading.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank JaneMarion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I will attempt to give a balanced review of my stay & avoid giving names of staff where constructive criticism is being given.

After a drive of some 6 hours but still in a happy & upbeat mood, I breezed in to be hijacked by the most bullying & aggressive unprofessional female member of staff (NOT Rachel or management) that I have ever encountered at a hotel reception; I found the experience to be deeply upsetting & it left a cloud over my stay at the hotel.

The opening comment before I had even had a chance to take a breath was that the room I had been booked into was not one she would NOT have chosen to put me in ???

This room had been carefully chosen for me by her colleague Rachel with whom I had spoken when making my initial reservation, so not only was this staff member being unprofessional she was clearly undermining her colleagues. This was followed by comments advising me that I had paid far too much for my accommodation & had booked myself in at the hotel during the wrong week??!! (Half term which was of no significance to me but seemed to be a huge personal problem for her despite my clearly avoiding the busy Easter Bank Holidays). Other comments made included the observation that Travelodge beds were pretty awful ( ‘too high’ & ‘too hard’ ) & that the rooms were badly planned.

I personally had absolutely no issues with the timing of my stay or the price that I had paid, however following the above conversation I was most certainly left with questions & issues not to mention having my short leisure break, upbeat mood & day utterly & completely ruined, given the time & fuel cost of my journey of some 400 miles then being informed that I had been given a poor room & had been overcharged for my stay. This left me asking for a refund as clearly she felt that I had overpaid, which of course she refused. Secondly, if in her opinion my room was so bad, could she offer an alternative? Again the answer was no. All which made her opinions & unnecessary comments all the more pointless.

The demeanour was that of a bully & there also appeared to be a seemingly personal resentment from the said member of staff towards myself. It would have been far more appropriate & professional for her to have shut up, calmed herself down & put her bitterness & aggression to one side, however her need to be right & the insistence of forcing her negative personal opinions of the hotel & brand & upon me took over. I politely pointed out that her personal opinions were irrelevant, however to no avail & at every point resistance & argument ensued & thus the anti-Travel Lodge rant continued leaving me feeling not only ripped off, out of pocket but very attacked & shaken by the experience given that one would not expect this level of aggression on a simple check-in which would normally comprise a simple hello/warm welcome, handing over of keys followed by we hope you enjoy your stay & happy to assist with any queries etc during the stay.

This individual should not be on the front line dealing with customers nor should derogatory & detrimental comments be made about Travel Lodge when the brand is going from strength to strength. I also do not believe these were ‘training issues’, rather an ingrained mentality.

Despite wanting to leave after the check in nastiness & not really knowing what horrors to expect from my room on the first floor, with a sinking feeling in my heart & zero expectation, I checked in as I had little option after the long journey. Not in the business of being rude & demeaning to people as I prefer to take the view that no matter how incompetent & ignorant, they are still human beings & are doing a job regardless of how badly, with much restraint & remarkable patience I remained polite, professional & courteous throughout my dealings with the said member of staff & ended the conversation/check- in on a civilised note. I’m sure many others would have stormed out & not before giving the staff member a very strong piece of their mind.

My stay was for a number of days & although the opening incident left a negative cloud over the duration of my as the experience had been so unpleasant, the following day Rachel was wonderful in ensuring that my stay was as comfortable as possible; her two male colleagues were also a credit to the hotel as were the very efficient & friendly cleaners. I made a point of avoiding the original member staff during the remainder of my stay.

My room which was at the back of the hotel had the most stunning views of the Blackdown Hills & I was lucky enough to have turned up at the start of the period of sunny April weather. Despite the advance warnings at check in, I found no problems with the room, the bed & pillows were comfortable, the bathroom was adequate (my room did not have a bath just a shower which was fine with me as I prefer a shower) although the open shower had a shower tray, not flush to the floor & had a curtain rather than a door/ cubicle which meant that bathroom floor got soaked during each shower as the curtain was not made to fit around the shower tray. I placed spare towels around the shower on the floor to avoid the problem.

The TV was fine with a number of channels & there was room a plenty for my luggage & clothes hanging space as well as a kettle in the room. Rachel & co were accommodating in allowing me to use their fridge & microwave as & when required which was very much appreciated, a small thing but it made a positive difference to my stay. The free car park was also safe & secure & I had no qualms in leaving my (rather expensive) vehicle there for a few days. The hotel was a home away from home & I felt safe & comfortable. Rachel is a credit to the hotel.

The hotel is a fairly new one & ideally situated just off the M5. There are also bus stops at the back of the hotel that take you into Taunton & Wellington although the latter is a very quick drive of around 7/8 minutes with 2 hours free parking at Waitrose & everything you could desire from a small town, a fab fish &chip shop ‘Fry Days’, a Greggs & Costas as well as the usual banks & post office & an Asda store.

The Sky Lark restaurant is also next door to the hotel & seemed constantly busy judging by the car park activity however it did seem very costly (despite the 10% discount for Travel Lodgers). Better off buying a Waitrose ready meal e.g a fish pie for £3 rather than paying £9.50 at the Sky Lark for the same thing!

As a young lady who is very particular about her surroundings & standard of service, & who has some experience of the hospitality industry, I would highly recommend this hotel. Also having stayed at the likes of the Marriott Hotels which charge around £100-£150 per night, other than décor/colour themes, there is little difference. The Travel Lodge Wellington has everything that you could want & need. Apart from the deeply unpleasant experience at check-in that cast a shadow over my whole trip and afterwards, I personally will avoid re-visiting the hotel at times that the problem staff member is on the rota & will plan any future trips to the west country accordingly. I believe the above issues as well as other ongoing matters pertaining to the said member of staff are being addressed as I would not want any other unsuspecting Travelodgers to experience the unpleasantness that I encountered.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Aristocrat A
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Excellent location, The receptionist was very pleasant and helpful.
Marstons Skylark is onsite, If you register on their website you can download voucher for free drink: Beer, Wine or soft drink.
Shame that they do not make breakfasts, this was the second time for us to stay here and we will certainly stay here again when we travel to Devon

Room Tip: We stayed in room 208 which was located at the rear , had a peaceful night sleep no traffic noise
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Siwsan B
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Rooms facing the car park are quiet but several first floor rooms on that side have all-night security lights shining straight in the windows. This wouldn't be a problem if the new look rooms had blackout curtains - but instead the curtains are on poles which are away from the wall and so lots of light comes around the edge (use towels to block light). New beds are very comfortable and a great improvement on old style rooms. Watch out for new design of bath plug which opens when water is directed on it from the taps !

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Jonathan C
Bude Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

To the moment that we left. Great. Great. Great.
We were welcomed at reception by a lady that obviously enjoyed her job. She was very efficient and knowledgeable. And very quickly booked us in. We were allocated room 217. On arrival the heating had been turned on, and the room was very hot. We quickly tuned the thermostat down.And the room went to a very comfortable temperature.It came with a very large Dreamerbed .was well carpeted and the bathroom with its very efficient shower was just what we wanted after quite a long journey. The car park was quite large, with disabled parking available adjacent to the main reception doors.. And on the evening that we stayed. Plenty of free spaces. We were offered a breakfast option, but as we were en route to Bristol airport for a very early flight.we declined. We were asked if we would like an early call (we didn't want to miss our flight) which we accepted. And bang on time. 03.00 hrs. There came a knock on the room door. When we booked out, about an hour later. The receptionist bid us a safe journey. He was, like the lady the evening before. Switched on and very pleasant. Would we stay at this hotel in the future. As they say on a famous TV programme. Its a Yes from Me and its a yes from the wife.
I would rate this hotel as 10 out of 10. For cleanliness. For location. For price and for staff. A great start to our holiday.

Room Tip: Book early for great rates
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Norm P
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Excellent value - not far off the M5. In quiet location, a pub next door so perhaps convenient for meals if required.. Quiet room on 1st floor. Very clean, bath rather small. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank greyleader
Hungerford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights in a family room in this much newer Travelodge. Clean and bright room. Only negative is the sofa bed.....very hard and uncomfortable. Pub next door was great just a shame that they don't do breakfast.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank NJR76
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellington
The Cleve Hotel & Spa
Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
The Castle at Taunton
The Castle at Taunton
#7 of 17 in Taunton

Been to Travelodge Wellington Somerset Hotel? Share your experiences!