“Good Food and Friendly People” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cuan

The Cuan
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Strangford
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Good Food and Friendly People”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I were visiting Northern Ireland for a few days and took a drive through Banbridge and visited the Legananny Dolmen before heading to Strangford to cross over and drive back up to Belfast along the peninsula. We landed up at the Cuan quite by chance when we were unable to locate the restaurant our innkeeper had recommended. It was the 12 July holiday weekend and things were quite busy. The staff was very friendly and particularly helpful when it came to sorting out menu items with which we were unfamiliar. We speak American English and sometimes find ourselves at a loss over fairly simple terms that we just don't encounter at home. They answered our questions without making me feel like an idiot for asking. My wife had the Crossgar Beef Fillet & Chicken and I had a fish & chips. Both were quite good. The cost was slightly more than your average pub fare, but was still reasonable and worth it in my opinion.

The owner, Peter, came round and spoke to us for several minutes. He was very personable and made us feel welcome, as he seemed genuine in his interest. We discussed our travel plans and he asked us to have a look at the Old Glory that flew over the Capitol in Washington D.C. that he acquired from an American Representative. The dining room was comfortable, clean, and decorated with pictures related to local history.

I'd recommend the Cuan to anyone passing through Strangford!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear WyldWeezle
Thank you for your detailed review of your visit to The Cuan and your strong recommendation to fellow travelers.
Regards

Belfast
“Standards have slipped”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Visited with my family recently, I ordered for a starter mussels as I get them everywhere I go, I was totally shocked, 13 mussels in a wee skimpy side dish, £6.95, unbelievable!
My aunt had the famous chowder, served in another small bowl, more used for catering functions rather than an award winning restaurant, nothing wrong with the taste but portions miserable for the hefty price. Don't be fooled by pictures as I will add mine. (If it lets me).
My main of Roast of the Day had to be returned as it was served lukewarm on a cold plate, no great taste and I left it.
Service not great compared to previous visits which I must add was a while back so maybe staff have changed, struggled to get a drink. Ordered a 7up poured and got a 7up and port!
Only thing I can say is I was glad I was not paying the bill, all in all disappointing, I won't be rushing back!

6 Thank Stubmeister123
Dear Stubmeister123
We were very disappointed to read your review; the mussels and the chowder were ordered as starters and are viewed as very generous at that. As a main course our chowder is served in a broad rimmed bowl with a smoked salmon garnish. In relation to our roast beef, we use a rib-eye cut of Co Down beef and it is the best selling dish on our menu - indeed we had a gentleman in yesterday who ordered the roast beef in the afternoon and returned that evening and ordered exactly the same dinner!!
The old adage comes to mind:
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time"
yours sincerely
Caroline & Peter
Cannock, United Kingdom
“Delicious food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Had a lovely evening. Crossed from Portaferry to Strangford as foot passengers to visit the Cuan. Great atmosphere, delicious food, friendly service. No need to say anymore!

Visited July 2014
Dear marcelp505
A very eloquent summary of your visit to The Cuan.
Thank you for your review.
County Down, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Cuan offers a relaxed service in a cosy restaurant. The staff are very friendly, the food is delicious and the portions are very generous. They offer bed and breakfast accommodation too and we took advantage of this when we stayed before Christmas. The room we had was clean, comfortable, warm and we both had a very comfortable night's sleep. The ferry boat across to Portaferry is opposite and Downpatrick is about a 15 minute drive away. All in all a very good place to stay if venturing over to explore County Down.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Cbiss1965
Dear Cbiss1965
Your review was a delight to read; a wonderful all round promotion of The Cuan and the beautiful location of Strangford village. Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the rest of the world!
Regards
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
“Sadly not what we'd hoped”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor we, going on the favourable comments, booked and looked forward to eating at The Cuan. I can only presume we hit it on a bad night as what we ate simply didn't match what we'd expected.

The food was pretty non descript and neither of us enjoyed our choices: the scampi was very dry, frozen chips had no taste whatsoever and the lasagne was so hot I was half way through my main before my partner could attempt to start his.

Sadly the food we had that evening made the decision to eat in other restaurants during our stay fairly easy.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank IrishEyesSmile
Dear fabatfortyish
We were disappointed to read you review, and also surprised that the two dishes you had rank consistently in our top 5 choices! The scampi is a gourmet product that is freshly prepared for each order and we use organic beef from Churchtown Farm (1 mile from the village) in our lasagne. We are constantly striving for excellence so we will keep a vigilant eye on these dishes to ensure that they go out at their very best.
yours sincerely