“I can't get this place out of my mind!”
Review of Hotel Villa Giulia

Hotel Villa Giulia
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Gargnano
Reviewed 6 September 2010

After working almost 80 hrs the week before I left and having to remain in NY due to a flight cancelations, then my luggage was lost.... I finally made it to the Villa Giulia We spent a week there and I have to say it was the best vacation of my life. The staff if perfection, the room was Heaven and the little town was something out of a storybook. When we left to go on with our vacation, my husband and I couldn't get this place out of our mind, so we cancelled out stay in Zurich and came back to the Villa Giulia after our trip to Prague. We are coming back again next June. If you choose this place, you'll know what I mean! The family owned hotel makes you feel at home. I think that is why I loved it so much. They took such good care of us!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Rickicriswell
There are newer reviews for Hotel Villa Giulia

Reviewed 18 July 2010

we stayed 2 nights in this hotel basically because of the very good reviews. we paid 310EUro/night for a small room with an even smaller bathroom. there was no window shades! (room No 8 in the main villa building). the buffet breakfast was very poor with little choice of food/beverages. ok the place is beautiful, the service very good and the garden lovely. for 150euro/day this place would be ok, for 310 it's less than average. beware

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank k0nstantin0s
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Like all brilliant hotels, the secret is the small team of friendly and attentive staff and the relaxed attention to detail. The management have not overworked the interiors or exterior, doing the right thing by allowing the buliding and it's amazing lakeside location speak for itself and letting the staff do the rest. We were there on our honeymoon and couldn't think of a more romantic setting. Get a room in the main building rather than the poolside if you can. Plenty of places to eat a few mins stroll away in town. We very much recommend eating at The Tortuga, a Michelin starred restaurant - great food and once again, excellent friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Rooms: My travel companions and I stayed at Hotel Villa Giulia for 3 nights to celebrate my 50th birthday.

My room was in the main house, “Villa Giulia - no.7”, which is perfectly described by the next reviewer. I loved spending time relaxing on the small private terrace tucked up in the trees overlooking the garden and the lake. The toiletries were large brightly colored bottles - several notches above what I've come to expect from even the finest hotels. I agree that the lighting in the bathroom is a challenge. Solution: applied make up at the desk near the window by the lake, which I didn’t mind a bit. The rate was €345 / night, more than I spent elsewhere, but definitely worthy of a special occasion.

My traveling companions chose a very nice Atmosfera double - Room #1, I think. It was on the ground floor of the “Chalet” garden house. Close to the main house, with a direct exit into the garden and two nice lounge chairs in a private alcove. The rate was €278 / night, including breakfast and tax.

Location: We considered staying in Sirmione (southern shore - more crowded) and Gardone Rivieria (western shore in the middle – more expensive). We were quite pleased with our choice to stay in Gargnano. It’s a beautiful, well-kept little town, very quiet, and situated in the middle (western shore) with good ferry service north and south.

Staff: Everyone was very nice, especially Mary who always greeted you with a warm smile and went out of her way to help with every request. The restaurant staff anticipated every need so we rarely had to ask. Housekeeping somehow knew the moment we left our room and hurried in to tidy up.

Restaurant: Only guests have the privilege of enjoying the beginning and end of each day on this jaw-dropping terrace, in the garden, overlooking this beautiful lake.

Large buffet breakfast: Lots of choices with delicious pastries, fresh fruits, local hams and cheeses, granola and yogurt and eggs.

Dinner: We happily enjoyed dinner at the Villa on two of our three nights. As the sun sets, the staff lights the torches surrounding the terrace - so romantic! There is a simple high quality menu with added daily specials. We were quite pleased with everything we tried. The third night, we had a great chefs tasting at La Tortuga – see restaurant reviews.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trevi
Reviewed 23 June 2010

We were fortunate to stay in Room 7 in the main house for three glorious days. The room had two large windows facing the lake and a side terrace or balcony large enough to sit comfortably and listen to the happiest of birds. The beamed-ceiling room was quite large, but the bathroom was relatively small and dark. The bathroom's dark interior was not helped by the low-level lighting that shone on only half my face when I was shaving. And the shower was confining--not a problem for us but it might be for more corpulent guests. But these nits should not mar what was a truly pleasurable experience. The room had all the modern amenities, including a remote control for the air conditioner.
The hotel is right on the lake with the same view as the nearby Villa Feltrinelli but at a fraction of the price. The surrounding gardens of roses, palm trees, hydrangeas, and so on, are expertly and meticulously maintained; what a pleasure to enjoy. The only sounds are the waves lapping up against the shore and the birds enjoying the garden. The site is so attractive that Villa Giulia might be considered a destination resort. Waking up each morning to open the windows and look down at the glistening lake and see all the tables on the terrace below set for breakfast was indeed a thrill. And the breakfast that followed was excellent and was included in the room rate. Lunch and dinner are also served a la carte and are recommended. The meals were all excellent. One does not have to lower one's standards simply to enjoy the ambience of the setting, as is too often true at other establishments. We tried the Michelin-starred La Tortuga in Gargnano (a 5-minute walk away) but ultimately preferred dinner on the terrace of Villa Giulia for the overall experience. (Note to winelovers: the wine list at Villa Giulia is OK, but the list at LaTortuga is extraordinary!)
This is a very well run property. The staff--the waiters, the porter, the chambermaids, and the receptionists--are all genuinely friendly and helpful. The ladies at the front desk are true professionals, combining German precision with Italian charm. They go the extra mile in helping out. They really care. I wonder how someone can treat so many guests so personally day after day. But somehow they do. I was quite impressed.
I would love to relive the experience of Villa Giulia all over again...and soon.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2010

The lake itself is spectacular but parts of it on the opposite shore are overly commercail and crowded with tourists and tour group. The little town of Gargnano and its environs are an undiscovered oasis reminiscent of an Italy that no longer exists in many places.

The hotel is perfectly situated on the lake and the grounds are beautiful and beautifully maintained. The staff is gracious, welcoming and extremely professional and within a few hours will know you by name. The lakeview room we stayed in was not opulent but lovely and comfortable with all of the amenities one would expect from a hotel of this calibre. Try to get one of the few lakefront rooms with a balcony (there are only three). The public rooms and terraces are beautiful, offering stunning vistas on the lake. The restaurant is first class and far superior to the Michelin starred restaurant in town. Try to visit the Villa Feltrinelli next door which is spectacular but in our judgement not worth three times the price of Villa Giulia.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marymont
Reviewed 24 April 2010

We stayed here for two nights at the end of a ten-day holiday all around Lake Garda - a little bit of luxury to finish our trip. A beautiful setting, right on the lakeshore in Gargnano. The hotel itself was beautifully renovated, and with a nice terrace overlooking the lake - a great place for breakfast and dinner. The staff were at all times very helpful and attentive - from advice over day-trips; making restaurant bookings; warming up the sauna; giving great service at meals; etc - genuinely a great advert for the hotel. The gardens were also very well kept, and a lovely quiet and calm place for relaxing / sun-bathing. Our room - we stayed in the main building on the top floor, overlooking the terrace / lake - was stylishly decorated but perhaps a little small. So why only a rating of four out of five? Purely on value grounds - while really lovely, it has prices to match. NB: the restaurant is closed one night per week (Wednesday?) - try the nearby La Tortuga instead - it's excellent.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple