Hotel Gardenia al Lago
Bogliaco Hotel(Gargnano)
  • Pool
Hotel Tiziana(Gargnano)
View Hotel
All reviewsoverlooking the lakelovely hotelantique furniturerecommend this hotelfamily runsmall beachfamily photographsguided walkfive nightslovely familygood sizeexcellent englishrestaurant food and servicesmall gardenferry terminalquiet lanepretty garden
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Gardenia al Lago for a week, hoping to relax and recuperate. I could not have picked a better place. Gargnano itself is 3 sleepy villages with ports that link together, and Hotel Gardenia is situated in Villa. From the street, the hotel does not look like anything special, and indeed when I arrived and initially saw my room I thought it was pretty and functional, but nothing more. The Hotel Gardenia al Lago, however, swiftly works its magic on you, with the highlight being its terrace, outside and inside dining area, and the garden, that have breathtaking views of the lake. Indeed, you can literally step off the garden into the lake via a step ladder that leads directly into it. Having intended to travel extensively around Lake Garda, I actually spent my time lounging and reading in the Hotel Gardenia's garden on a sun lounger, and swimming in the lake to cool down. After a day of doing this I realised that this truly would be the highlight of my holiday, and an experience that I could not beat!

Rooms are simple, with antique furniture, and spotless bathrooms. They have wi-fi access (there is also wi-fi access in the garden) and (noisy) air conditioning. The beds are firm. There are thin curtains that are perfect in the hot weather, but if you are someone who has to sleep with thick curtains in the pitch black then you might need to bring an eye shade with you! I was in an Atmosfera room which had a view of the lake and the mountains, which was wonderful to wake up to in the mornings. My room also had a little balcony with wicker chairs. The hotel was built in the 1920s I think, but clearly had a lovely refurbishment in the 1950s, and has pretty tiled floors and 50s furniture and detailing.

Breakfast on warm days is on the terrace, and was the best breakfast that I have ever had on the continent in a hotel. Given that the Italians have bread and coffee for breakfast, Hotel Gardenia made a real effort here, offering a spread of cold ham and salami, cheese, yoghurt, fresh fruit, a sort of cake, and a massive type of cereal bar with ranges of muesli, granola and cereals, along with a large selection of different types of seeds and dried fruits (e.g. flax seeds, cranberries). There was also a facility to boil very fresh eggs, along with different types of fresh bread and croissants. Eating this on the terrace overlooking the lake was a lovely experience. On colder days, breakfast was served in the dining room, which was also spectacular, with three of the four walls being on the lake, with large windows. I really thought this would be special in the evening in the autumn or winter - it really couldn't be beaten.

The hotel does excellent food in the afternoons and evenings as well, and I had lunch there on most days and thought it was some of the best food I had on my visit to Gargnano. If you wish to laze by the lake in the garden, one of the hotel waitresses will also come and take orders for iced coffees, chocolate, alcoholic drinks, and gelato while you are lying in the garden. Prices were very reasonable. The hotel also has a very pretty little bar and a terrace where you can have a drink out the front. I found all of the staff to be very helpful and friendly, including the waiting staff and the cleaning staff who work very hard.

If there is anything I would like to change about this hotel it is the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms. Breakfast is not until 8, and being a Brit I found myself waking up early and desperate for a cup of tea!

I think if you are someone who expects big corporate style hotels (and I have nothing against them) which offer large, plush rooms with heavy furnishings and cooked American style breakfasts, then this hotel may not be for you. If you like something simple, charming and with character (but not quirky), then Hotel Gardenia is certainly it. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a lake view. They only cost a little more and you won't regret it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Kris M
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed at The Gardenia Hotel for 4 nights. It was perfect. The hotel was beautiful, very stylish but informal and friendly. The location was exactly what we had hoped for i.e. overlooking the lake with easy access from the garden to clear water for swimming. The local village was very pretty with shops and restaurants but not spoiled by tourism. The breakfasts were delicious and dining in the garden on warm evenings delightful .

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pollardwillow
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We arrived at the hotel with a rental car. The parking lot is very small but after i gave them my key they found a spot which was great.
Checkin very friendly and efficient. When i went up to my standard room 302 i must say that eventhough the rate was very low, i was not happy with the room which was somewhat outdated and needs renovation. I changed the room with no problem to a higher category with a reasonably supplement and this one was absolutely great. New, spotless clean, large daylight bathroom and a great balcony, I was very happy !
Breakfast is excellent and sitting along the lake with a coffee and a drink enjoying the fantastic view cannot be topped.
I will certainly come back when i have the opportunity and i can recommend this hotel to everyone who is looking for an unpretentious stay in a truly family run hotel with the best location at very good rates. Love it !

Room Tip: Book a renovated room with lakeview. Its certainly worth it !
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank HHCBrunoWolf
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We have just returned from a four day break. The hotel lived up to all our expectations. It is in a lovely quiet location right on the lake side. The owners are very hospitable, friendly and knowledgable. They made us so welcome. The Benaco room was spacious and well equipped with two balconies overlooking the lake. We ate in the hotel and also the sister hotel - Hotel du Lac which is very close. The food in both hotels is very good. The village is very romantic and quiet with several restaurants within easy walking distance. The ferry is also close making it easy to get to other parts of the lake. We followed the advice in the other reviews and hired a small car (rather than a larger one) which we appreciated as the roads in the villages can be very narrow. The only problem with the hotel is tearing yourself away at the end of the stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth S
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Stayed here for a week this summer - we were very impressed by this hotel. Our room overlooked the garden and was comfortable and clean. The hotel is run by a family, all of whom were friendly and helpful in giving directions and making reservations for us.We loved eating dinner on the terrace overlooking the lake. This may turn out to be our regular summer vacation hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple