“A Gastronomic Must!”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“A Gastronomic Must!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My finest Birthday Dinner ever, was recently celebrated at this very elegant Hostaria. My anticipation was high because I know that, as part of the excellence of the establishment, the owner supports the amazing food offerings with one of the finest collections of wines and liqueurs in the country.

As well as a gastronomic delight, the food is prepared with only the finest ingredients.

My dinner celebration opened with a flute of champagne, followed by several small appetizers, a gourmet sampling of what is traditionally Piemontese (from the region) followed by a risotto and Fassone (finest beef from Piemonte). The finale of this wonderful odyssey was a lovely sorbet complemented by an assortment of chocolate/pastry.

The staff and service were impeccable and the owner indulged us in every way. They made certain to enlighten us in detail before every course was served and asked if the preparation was to our liking.

It was an unusually memorable experience that I anticipate soon repeating.

• Visited April 2014

Toronto
“A Superb Dining Experience”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I had to good fortune of patronizing this wonderful establishment in August of 2012. The cuisine, service and atmosphere are excellent. The owner makes all the dishes herself. All pastas and breads are made by hand and the most of the ingredients are local. All dishes are made with care. There is no menu, which I find interesting. Whatever is fresh in the local market is what is made that day. During the meal the owner makes her rounds to ensure you are having a great experience. I'm Canadian, where our portions are super-sized, and I still found the size of my meal sufficient. As for pricing, I never saw the bill as I was treated by family. I am told it is pricey but I believe that if you have a great experience then the cost is worth it. Also, EVERYTHING in the Lake District of northern Italy is pricey. Would I go again? Absolutely! I can't wait!

• Visited August 2012
New York, New York, United States
“What a wonderful place”
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Great restaurant, great atmosphere! It was not coincidence that me and my sweet half happened to be at the Hostaria, in fact we were suggested this place by a good friend of mine that had been there a couple of years before while visiting the lago maggiore during a business trip.
Well he couldn't give us a better suggestion! Out of all the restaurants, me and my wife had been to during our staying in the "la bella italia" this was definately the one that has struck us the most.

Very sofisticate food, definately high class cooking, and execellent service, not to mention the awesome wine choise that this place offers.
All waitresses very polite, and wow let me tell you, one more gorgeous than the other !! if it wasn't for for the undoubtedly higher class outfit of them, as well as for their certainly sofisticate manners, one could think that he has just walked into an italian hooters :)
In conclusion, one shouldn't neither say that he has really tasted the real italian flavors, nor that he has experienced the best italian hospitality unless he or she hasn't been to this high class restauraunt.

• Visited July 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Memorable experience”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

5 of us had a great evening here recently. The extremely characterful owner doesn't really speak any English, but was able to find a waitress who could help us a bit as we don't really speak much Italian.
The deal is that you pay her 40 euros, and she provides you with food, drinks and entertainment for the evening. The price includes bottled water, and plentiful red and white wine.
There is no menu as such, you pretty much get what she decides to give you. We were served with a wide range of tasty hot and cold anti-pasti, saffron and parsley risotto, then a choice of meat or fish, pudding, chocolates and coffee. Maybe it's not haute cuisine, (more dinner with an eccentric aunt), but the philosophy is to provide typical Italian family food in a warm and friendly atmosphere.
We found all the service to be polite and efficient despite her having a large local party occupying the other dining room and everyone being apparently run off their feet.
The experience was enhanced by the astonishing collections of silverware, pictures, glasses and ceramics (taking ducks on the wall to a whole new level) and by the most stunning coffee machine any of us have ever seen - it made good coffee too :-)
We wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Visited September 2012
Ireland
“DO NOT DINE HERE”
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We arrived in this restaurant in a thunderstorm. We were shown into the 'dining room' This room was full of furniture, ornaments, carpets, silver, etc .., The food was served by a friendly waitress along with a very dominant owner. We were offered a starter 'del casa' which was 2 small plates of Ravioli sprinked with parmesan cheese. We were then offered either fish or meat. We both selected meat and we were served about four very thin slices of beef and three carmelised onions. Several local people arrived while we were eating and they were greeted by the owner and brought into a different room perhaps the kitchen! The waitress was preparing a table beside us for about six people and it was very obvious that the owner wanted us gone. We asked the waitress if we could have ice cream for dessert and she drew a deep breath and said we could have the dessert of the house.
She then brought us two small slices of jam tart and a few chocolates in a bowl. The owner was anxious for our table to be cleared and did not appear too happy when we asked to two cups of tea. She then instructed the waitress to clear off our table and we asked the waitress for our bill. She said we would get this from the owner. We were shocked when she presented us with a bill for €120 the most we paid during our holiday in Italy and also the worse meal and treatment we had during our holiday. We paid the bill with €150 in cash and we were waiting for our change which the owner was very slow to give to us and she went off setting other tables ignoring us. Eventually we got our change and made our escape feeling completely robbed!!

• Visited June 2012