“Stay Here with Paul and Nicole”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Argegno
Paul Wright Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 Argegno B&B and Inns
Florida
“Stay Here with Paul and Nicole”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a few nights a couple of years ago. We have been remiss in reviewing this wonderful B&B sooner. Paul and Nicole are wonderful and very interesting folks. We had to leave very early in the morning and yet they were both up with breakfast for us and to wish us a good journey home. The house is spotless and the view spectacular. Our room was very comfortable and had everything we needed. It did take us a bit to find the location and there are a lot of steps but in living on the steep slopes of Lake Como it is to be expected. Paul and Nicole were very helpful in giving us the information we needed to catch busses and ferries. If you are in this area this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank skygranny

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Deal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Stayed here with friends for three nights in June. Spectacular views across lake Como can be seen from your bed, which more than compensate for the climb up from the road! We stayed in the self-contained flat on the first floor which had everything you would need for a lengthier, self-catering stay. The owners, Paul and Nicole, are friendly and full of local information, and made our stay memorable. They serve a good continental breakfast of fresh fruit, cheeses, meats, fresh bread and croissants, along with a bottomless pot of coffee. The village of Argegno is a ten minute walk away and from there you can catch frequent ferries to all parts of the lake. Bellaglio, Mennagio, Villa Carlotta, Como......all easily reached. Would thoroughly recommend both this accommodation and the resort.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank RplusV
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Would highly recommend staying with Paul and his wife Nicole at their lovely B & B. My husband and I stayed for five nights in the self catering apartment and it was perfect for us. The view is gorgeous and the breakfasts were great and so generous that we often made a sandwich for lunch or snacked on the meat and cheese with cocktails. The town is friendly and quite interesting since it is really old when measured against what we are used to in the U.S. Paul is talkative, but we enjoyed our conversations with him and found him to be interested in us and what we were up to. Paul also was a big help us in getting our clothes washed which became a top priority for us. We took the convenient ferry boat to Bellagio and to Villa Carlotta and enjoyed our time cruising the lake and our tours of the Lake Como towns. This is a beautiful area in northern Italy and, if we are lucky enough to return we look forward to staying with Paul and Nicole again.

Room Tip: If you would like to do a little cooking, the catering apartment is perfect for you. Paul delivers a...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Julie S
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I am seriously at a loss as to why this place has received 5 stars...but here is my take. This review is for the guest bedroom (NOT the apartment).

The good...After climbing who knows how many stairs, the view of Lake Como IS spectacular, no doubt. The location is also excellent, as you can easily walk to the ferry and go to dinner dinner through an awesome old stone walkway. 5 stars for the view and location

The bad....The website is VERY MISLEADING when it comes to the room. First of all the room is an ordinary bedroom in their home. It does NOT have an adjoining bathroom, but rather the bathroom is "across the hall" next to Paul & Nicole's bedroom. The balcony off the bedroom is a nice touch, but the traffic noise is SO LOUD, you cannot sit outside to enjoy it. The bed is very uncombortable as it is hard and lumpy. It definitely needs replacing.

Paul is described as a great story-teller and an exceptional host in other posts. We found him to be quite ego-centric. He is a talented artist and writer, but it was more about him than it was about the area. I felt pressured to buy his book....but why would I, when he forced me to hear his life story anyway? (BTW, you can easily read his bio on his website with his 30 year old picture). I am NOT on vacation to feel like I need to run from my host when I see him. "Too much about Paul" for our liking.

The ugly...If you are allergic to cats (or even if you aren't), I would pass on this place. They have 4...yes, count them, 4 cats. I personally love cats, but not when they are FREELY WALKING ON the kitchen counter and breakfast is being prepared on that same counter. How's that for unsanitary conditions?

I should have known something was up when there was a towel placed over the bathroom sink when we arrived, but I guess I'm a slow learner. Hummm....I thought to myself, why would they do that? Well, it took a day for us to realize that the bathroom sink was covered because the smell from the sink was THE WORSE SMELL EVER!!! The sewer system must not be working properly, because it STUNK to high heaven. I was literally sickened when I went into the bathroom without the towel covering it. And, even with the towel, you had to hold your breath.

Bottom line....I would NOT go back...and was glad to leave.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank retiredtraveller56
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

booked this B&B ( a real B&B, not a hotel) for myself, my sister and my gran. Although I was a bit worried about the steps, it was not as bad as we had thought even though granny is 77 years old. The views are really worth the climb! We had no trouble at all finding the villa as Paul provides detailed instructions.

Our introduction to Italy was somewhat fraught as our luggage did not arrive and it was impossible to contact the cargo handlers on the number given to us at the airport. However, thanks to our hosts’ private contacts our bags were delivered to us within two days otherwise I don’t think we would ever have seen them again.

The weather was really hot! The ceiling fans in the bedrooms helped a little but when we mentioned to Paul that we were having trouble sleeping, he provided us with additional ventilators.

Just before leaving we had read a review saying that the bathroom was shared so I was rather worried that we might be sharing with other guests – not so. The bathroom is not en-suite but it is entirely private to you and your companions. Bathrobes are provided, basic toiletries and everything is spick and span.

The location is great – under 10 minutes by foot to the village centre where you can catch hydrofoils and tourist boats up and down the lake. There is a bus stop right under the house (cheaper than boats but not nearly as enjoyable). There are plenty of restaurants, snack bars etc., and the village is very lively and friendly. No charge for WiFi at the villa and telephone from the landline is free.

Finally, my sister and I wanted to see Venice and again, thanks to his private contacts, Paul managed to find and book a small apartment for us right in the middle of the high season, worked out a full travel itinerary and even booked our train tickets as we had problems doing this online.

Excellent service, really helpful. I shall certainly return to this B&B.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank meganrosea
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2012

There are not enough superlatives to describe this place, the best simply does not do it justice. Having stayed on Como before I can honestly say that for our self catering short stay this was truely the best value, the best location, the best hosts,but mostly the best view on Como! only a person more akin to staying in a Ritz Carlton or Fairmont group hotel (and I have) would be able to find any fault. In response to the previous review, there is some noise from the road, but we found this gave the village a gentle buzz, it certainly did not disturb us nor make us feel that we needed ear plugs, we were far too mesmorized by the view. The steps are not for Louboutins but what would you expect in a medieval village? If you look at the photos of the house can see that it is a huge white building very difficult to miss and if you follow the given instructions I'm not sure how you wouldn't find it as it is the only white house on the main thoroughfare for miles, no sign necessary. Also unnecessary, is a car. We spent a week in the area relying purely on public transport, which is an extremely cost effective and efficient in Italy. The bus stops right outside to take you to Como, a half hour scenic journey past Mr Clooney's house, the ferry, to access the whole of the lake is a five minute walk away. Argegno itself has everything that you would need for a short self catering holiday, weekly market, bakers, greengrocer, fishmonger and general store, as well as an authentic Italian cafe restaurant and bar scene based around a delightful plaza. I cannot recommend this home enough, was sorry to have to leave. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I have only marked down the room and sleep quality as the bed was a sofa bed, but it was a larger an...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnnaA3_12
Green Cove Springs, Florida
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 2-month, Rick Steves-inspired tour of Europe. We scheduled a week near the back-end for a "vacation from a vacation." We couldn't have chosen a better place than Argegno, a village on the west bank of beautiful Lake Como in northern Italy. Nor do I think we could have chosen better than the Paul Wright Bed and Breakfast in Argegno.

We were mesmerized by the marvelous view of Lake Como from our perfectly-situated balcony. The bedsit (efficiency apartment) was a perfect size for vacationers, with a good size bed and plenty of storage to fully unpack. The kitchen was well stocked with everything we needed to prepare our meals. Paul's place is a true, English-style bed and breakfast, however, so you don't need to prepare all of your meals, since the package includes a proper breakfast, which Paul delivers promptly to your door every morning on a tray covered with fresh table linens.

Paul is an excellent host, an artist born and raised in Britain, but, with his wife Nicole, a resident of the Lake Como area for the last 20+ years. He is very knowledgeable about the area and very willing to help. He's likeable and an excellent conversationalist too, if you just want someone to talk to. He kept our place spotless and even made sure we had enough milk and butter in the refrigerator.

There's more information about Paul and the b&b on his website: http://www.wrightart.com/. Also, Paul has written a book about his and Nicole's relocation to Lake Como - 'An Italian Home' by Paul Wright for sale on Amazon books UK, Barnes and Noble and Kindle e-books.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple