“Peace and quiet at Como lake”

Grand Hotel Imperiale
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Moltrasio
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Excellent location for final stay of holidays before turning home: friendly, clean and hospitable. The waiters however, are from a different planet: they say friendly words but their body language is quite aggressive: 'don't bother me too much....'

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 31 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 7 nights in July, with Riviera Travel. A lovely hotel in a good setting. The only downside was the fact that there is no promenade or pavement to walk along in Moltrasio. Excellent views along and across the lake from a small square across the road in front of the hotel. Our room was spacious with bath and shower over. Décor was a little dated, but room was clean. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice from hot and cold buffet. We also enjoyed the evening meal - choose at the table from limited menu [full choice from a la carte menu would have cost around 50 - 60 euros] food quality was very good. Staff were extremely friendly and we all got on well with them. I cannot understand some of earlier comments regarding the staff being surly, etc, and can only assume that the guests concerned had been unpleasant towards the staff in the first place. We had no problems with them whatsoever. Hotel is very handy for the ferry station. All in all, a good place to stay, apart from the lack of a promenade or pavement.

2  Thank Geoff K
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely holiday in Lake Como, Italy. We stayed in the Grand Hotel Imperiale at Moltrasio as part of our tour with Riviera Travels. We enjoyed it all, the hotel with its friendly, helpful staff and superb Italian meals, the tours with a wonderful guide (Denise) for whom nothing was too much trouble and we had gorgeous weather. What more can I say?

3  Thank Chrisfens
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We just spent two nights at this hotel. Elegant!! The room was spacious and beautifully appointed. A lovely bathroom added to the feel of luxury. We had a buffet breakfast each morning with a variety of foods offered. Delicious! The dining room was gorgeous. All of the chairs were slip-covered ahd had bows tied in the back. Our dinner was exceptional - a true Italian meal, The staff was pleasant and very accommodating. With the hotel facing the lake, a guest could ask for nothing more.

Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

We spent wonderful five days on April, in this hotel. Everything was so good. We were stayed in family room, which was very big. We have two separated room, balcony with excellent view. Room was very clean. I was fascinating with waterfall, that was near hotel, and in your room you can hear their sound. Food was excelent, and dinner was served as a a la cart! We were very surprised! Position of hotel is good. My family and I spent excelent time on lake Como in that lovely hotel. I would like to recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Putni
Reviewed 9 July 2013

When I arrived at the hotel from an arduous journey from southern Italy, I was in a horrible mood. I complained about everything and the staff at the hotel did everything they could to help make me happy. My biggest complaint, and I find this almost everywhere in Europe, is the poor lighting next to the beds. When I called down to the front desk informing them that I was a reader and needed to see when I read in bed, they immediately had someone bring me a better lamp. They also worked hard to satisfy my other concerns. I am giving the Grand Hotel Imperiale a 5 star rating based on it's appropriately designated 4 star hotel status. The hotel is a bit dated and is not the "fanciest" of hotels I've stayed in (but these "fancy" hotels have a much fancier price) but based on the price, the Grande Hotel Imperiale is a very good value for what it offers. It is very lovely hotel in an even lovelier locale--I LOVE LAKE COMO--and the concierge, particularly Diego, couldn't have been more accommodating. I booked this hotel before leaving for a Mediterranean cruise and while on the cruise, we changed plans which subsequently added nights to my stay in Como. I corresponded with Diego from the ship and he made sure everything was set to extend our stay, at the same price. He also arranged transportation for us from the Como train station and again for our departure at the end of our stay.
The hotel has a small little gym and spa for those of us who like to exercise. They also have a great pool right on the lake which is a nice size and is great for lap swimming.
The town of Moltrasio is tiny but charming and I loved returning home from the boat launch each afternoon to settle in for a cocktail in the bar under the care of the lovely bartender, Maudi. Others did comment that it is somewhat of a downfall to have no walking path along the lake in Moltrasio and I would have to agree but this has nothing to do with the Hotel. It would be nice, though, to take a walk up or down this beautiful lake without putting your life in danger. You can walk up to the village on the hill, which I did, and have a spectacular view of the lake. There are a few cute little bars and restaurants in the village, next to the hotel, as well as two lovely restaurants at the hotel. We ate at the hotel's restaurant on the water, the last night of our stay, and it was delicious, presented beautifully--a five star restaurant.
If we ever have the good fortune to return to Lake Como, I would totally recommend this sweet little town, over Como or even Chennobio and will most definitely return to the Grand Hotel Imperiale.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank docshelly
Reviewed 9 July 2013

A very nice property right on the west shore of Lake Como with the main building across street from lake, with a tunnel access under the narrow Via Regina to two separate villas, the Ristorante Imperiale and the pool. Looks as if it has been remodeled. Easy access to Water Taxi as stop is right there. The accommodations are nice, but lacking some simple amenities like enough electrical outlets. Internet access is good. The breakfast buffet is adequate with coffee that tasted like instant Nescafe. The pool is fantastic, with the food at the Regina Pool bar above average. The Ristorante Imepriale is romantic with tables along the lake and one very romantic table in the Gazebo. Service is average but Kudos to Modi and his intelligent attentiveness. We also enjoyed the Piano playing of Sergio every night.

2  Thank Ray J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moltrasio
Grand Hotel Tremezzo
Royal Victoria
#2 of 6 in Varenna
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
Sheraton Lake Como Hotel

Been to Grand Hotel Imperiale? Share your experiences!