“Go with an Open Mind”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Moltrasio
Essex
“Go with an Open Mind”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

After reading other reviews before travelling to this hotel, I have to confess I was a little apprehensive about going to stay there, but was pleasantly surprised. Yes the décor in the room was a little dated and yes the hotel website is a little bit cheeky stating that the Lake view superior rooms are on the lake as the ones in the hotel are not, but the view from our balcony did overlook the lake and was beautiful anyway!

The bed was also a little annoying as it was made up of two beds pushed together and by the morning there was a big gap in between that one of us ended up falling down! All of the above did not really bother me as the room was otherwise ok and clean.

The breakfast is great and I have never seen so much choice at a buffet before and you can just go back and forth as many times as you like! As previous reviews the bar is expensive but no more expensive than anywhere else I have been to in Italy. Some people also moaned about the parking charges but as space is at a premium its just one of those things that you have to accept whilst you are there and as I said before we have been charged for parking in other parts of Italy too!

Lastly I would like to say that we found the staff very friendly and very helpful.

All in all this hotel is in need of a little bit of modernisation and I am not sure if I would have paid so much for the same hotel in the UK but I am glad that I stayed here as it is right near a boat stop and does have some lovely views. The pool is also nice. We didn't use the spa during our stay as we were out and about too much.

Lake Como is a beautiful part of the world and whether you stay here or at another hotel you will have a lovely time!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dawny73

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stayed here only for one night during a business trip and all expenses was paid by hosting company so I can't say anything about value for money. But I liked the hotel very much. My room was in separate building across the road in the pool area. There was a wedding at the same time — very romantic. Como lake has a stunning beauty and I wish I spend here more time with husband. The city Moltrasio is very quite and nice. There is a couple of waterfalls here! Pizza in Pizzeria under the bridge is delicious.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Shoorin
Athens
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We thought that have booked to this hotel,
a family room ( 2 adults 2 kids ) with a lake view.

And we ended up to be offered a standard double room to share all 4 of us,
with extra 2 beds, and that was not very confortable, in the end.
With a balcony window to open to the lake,
because there was not a proper balcony.
( only 1 person standing could fit in that balcony - window to enjoy the lake view )

The hotel building is divided into 3 parts.
The very front lake part that is I pressume very good located above the swimming pool, with a nice view.
The main building we had the "bad luck" to stay, where not all the rooms have front lake view or balcony, SO you have to be very careful on the DEAL they will give you.
And the new building that is far in the back i do not need to comment anything for this new industial concrete block of rooms.

So what ever you do before booking do not count on the hotel web site and their photos,
be-careful on the deal they will give you.

The swimming pool is the main attraction of the hotel but there are moments that it too super busy that you do not enjoy it.

Think twice before book this place.

Room Tip: Only villa imperiale might be value for money and good place to stay in this hotel. The rest simpl...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Takisjr
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I thought that to be a 4* star hotel there needed to be more than just a swimming pool attached; any grandeur there may ever have been at this hotel is fading fast. The good points: a pool, excellent, quiet air conditioning in the rooms and communal areas, free wifi in rooms and the lounge area, the most beautiful spa I've ever been to and I had the best massage ever. The bad points: the bed was the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in and I came away with appalling backache; all the hotel seemed to be able to do to remedy the discomfort was to place a board under the mattress, they couldn't or wouldn't change my mattress or the room. I spent 100 euros having a second massage to try and help my back. The room was very basic, but clean. The wifi was free but every time I went on to the internet I had to enter a username and password and it does not work around the pool. The pool is nice enough, but sunbeds are crammed around it like sardines are crammed into a tin and even then there weren't enough of them for all the guests. The staff were not unfriendly, but they were not welcoming and friendly. The lounge is so unstylish with faded, dirty looking sofas. The prices at the hotel and the poolside bar are ridiculous - twenty four euros for half a litre of coke, a basic ice cream and a tomato and mozzarella salad. The cost of breakfast is also taking the mickey. There is nothing around the hotel apart from two other over priced restaurants - climbing up into the town perched above the hotel was very hot and sweaty work and threw up no alternative places to go. I would not return to this hotel and wouldn't recommend it to others either.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Fiona S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed in this hotel during our trip to lake Como this August.
Overall, very nice place to stay, good value amongst the very overpriced hotels on this lake. However, lots of hidden cost (parking, spa) and the hotel is not situated directly on the lake.

The good:
- we stayed in a deluxe spa lake view room, which was nice. Quite spatious room, nice showers, huge and very comfortable bed
- nice breakfast is served on the terrace. Nice food but nothing spectacular
- good location with restaurants within walking distance

The not so good:
- Although advertised as being situated in front of the lake, it is NOT. Only the "Villa" part is directly on the lake, but it is a separate building. Our room was in the building behind it, with the road in between
- Lake view was a partial view from a distance with rooftops in between
- Beware of a parking charge of €20 per day
- If you want to use the spa, it is also charged at €25 per person per day. The spa is quite small and stuffy, but I did like the aromatherapy showers.
- Although breakfast was good, the dinner we had at the Imperialino was awful. Not worth the 3 Michelin fourchettes at all. Expensive and not good. To be avoided.

Room Tip: Deluxe spa rooms are very nice, but beware that "lake view" really means a partial distant...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AmayaD
Lincolnshire,England
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Went with Riviera Travel for a week's visit to Como and Switzerland.

The experience with Riviera was first rate, very professional. This was our third holiday with them and would recommend them to anybody.

Lake Como was the third Italian lake to be visited and lived up to our expectation. The lake is devine.

Nothing in Moltrasio other than hotel and excellent cafe next door so you need a car or on a trip to enjoy.

Very good hotel with all the amenities you would expect from a four star status. We had very decent food package with Riviera but, if you went independent, the standard menus looked even better and the lakeside restaurant very romantic.

Cafe next door great for watching the world go by AND value.

Room Tip: There are lake views but more expensive. Was quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Beath72
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed here 2 nights, mostly due to the high reviews on trip advisor. It was nice, (don't get me wrong) but I am not sure the Deluxe Spa Lake view and balcony room was worth the extra $. The website advertises "bathroom with emotional shower with aroma and chromo therapy". I saw a decent glassed in shower with rainforest tap and a light that you could change the color, but didn't see how this amounted to aromatherapy! We each had a nice massage, although the spa was difficult to reach via email prior to our trip. The hotel was very helpful in arranging a boat rental (must do!). As the hotel is larger,it caters to bus tours, which was not a problem - just to be aware of. The dining at the lake was a memorable meal and thought the service excellent - bar service seemed a bit 'stuffy' and barman seemed to have an attitude. Worth checking out overall.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moltrasio
Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni
#1 of 6 in Varenna
Villa d'Este
Villa d'Este
#1 of 7 in Cernobbio

Been to Grand Hotel Imperiale? Share your experiences!