What a find! I was searching for cooking classes in Italy but specifically on Lake Maggiore since we had never been there before. There weren't a lot of options. In October however, it is off season so two of the options I found, were not available that time of year. I happen to read a review in Conde Nast Traveler about this wonderful restaurant on Lake Maggiore where on rare occasion, the chef will give a cooking lesson. When I researched the restaurant, I found out it was a 3 star Michelin award winner and the hotel was a Relais & Chateaux hotel. So, I started my quest to get the chef to give me cooking lessons. I e-mailed several times and waited weeks before I finally got a reply to my request as it was there busy season when I was inquiring. My husband and I made reservations and I had confirmed cooking lessons so we made our way to Ranco. We had no idea how tiny the village was until we arrived. Unbelievable, this excellent restaurant was out here in this tiny village but it is easy to make trips to other locations all around the lake.
The staff could not have been nicer. We were greated the moment we arrived in the parking lot by one of the family members. We had reserved a jr. suite and were shown 3 options so we could make our own selection. The room we selected had twin beds so the staff moved the beds together and rearranged the furniture for us. The bathroom was very spacious with a marble tub and a separate shower. They went out of their way to accomodate us, it was such a pleasant experience.
The restaurant was fabulous. They showed my husband their wine cellar which houses 22,000 bottles of wine! I began my cooking lessons to find that the chef has about 14 sous chefs. I spent each day in a different chef's area of expertise, tasting as we progressed of course. Since I do not speak Italian, they provided a translator for me.
Although we were there in their off season, I find it hard to believe that anyone could write a bad review on this hotel and restaurant. The view and the grounds alone are unreal they are so fantastic. We could not have been more pleased, it was a great trip to Italy and a great stay in Ranco! I am recommending this hotel and restaurant to all my traveling friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 14 camere distribuite su due edifici che si specchiano sul lago. Una parte delle camere è situata nell'edificio in cui l'hotel si è originariamente sviluppato, per lo più disposte su du piani senza ascensore, mentre l'altra parte si trova nell'edificio in cui è situata la reception, recentemente rinnovata e dotata di ascensore. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Ebookers so you can book your Il Sole Di Ranco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Il Sole Di Ranco Hotel Ranco
- Il Sole Di Ranco Varese
- Il Sole Di Ranco Italy - Lake Maggiore