This was a last minute trip from Milan & we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We spent a day touring Lake Maggiore from Stresa & then drove around the lake to the hotel. The hotel is set on the lake's edge with a very nice pool & pretty lawn. THe property is surrounded by a public park & boat launch, but we did not hear any noise from those areas. The car park is down the hill from the reception & the hotel rooms, but you just leave your key with the desk & they transfer all your bags. We had previously stayed at the Chateau d'Eze in Cote d'Azur & that was a much more difficult transition from car to hotel...
The room was pleasantly decorated in a country style. Not exactly my taste, but charming. We had a junior suite with a sitting room built as a loft on the upper level & a balcony overlooking the water. Wonderful to wake up overlooking the lake. Complimentary decanter of Amaretto, perfect for an afternoon drink on the balcony. Bathroom isn't the most modern, but perfectly fine. Rooms could probably use a little updating, but nothing wrong with them.
Started dinner with drinks on the terrace. We were only ones doing it, but they were perfectly accommodating. Also brought a tray of gourmet nibblies. Continued dinner in the main dining room, which is a very nice elegant setting.
Bread tray/basket is one of the best I've ever had. Selection of ~12 different types of mini breads. Chose the degustation menu with the wine pairing. Dishes were wonderfully conceived & prepared - very imaginative approach & good execution. Wines were micely matched. Service was very attentive & very warm. Have eaten in numerous Michelin-starred restaurants throughout the world (NYC, London, Paris, etc.) & thought that this was a very special place.
Breakfast was a treat. They charge extra for eggs & fresh squeezed OJ, but there is such a broad selection, that we didn't feel that we were missing anything. Once again, the baked goods were spectacular (15-20 different types), plus fruits, meats/cheeses, etc. The owner made a special point of seeing us off in the morning.
We would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a warm welcome and good food in a special setting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 14 camere distribuite su due edifici che si specchiano sul lago. Una parte delle camere è situata nell'edificio in cui l'hotel si è originariamente sviluppato, per lo più disposte su du piani senza ascensore, mentre l'altra parte si trova nell'edificio in cui è situata la reception, recentemente rinnovata e dotata di ascensore. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Il Sole Di Ranco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Il Sole Di Ranco Hotel Ranco
- Il Sole Di Ranco Varese
- Il Sole Di Ranco Italy - Lake Maggiore