Review Highlights
A Must Do In Niue

I loved this tour with Tony and his son Max, their obvious connection to the bush and the land... read more

Reviewed 11 July 2018
JaneB4187
via mobile
Brilliant Tour

Decided to do this tour on the recommendation of my son who live in New Zealand. My partner and I... read more

Reviewed 21 February 2018
managercers
lancashire

All reviews coconut crab take home fruit clams tour uga niue plantation bush track taro life insight hours land plants number
Reviewed 1 May 2015

One of the reasons I visited to Niue was to go on a Uga (Coconut Crab) hunt but with this tour got more than I bargained for.
Trekking through the rainforest we saw a number of these strange beasts and Tony explained how he baits for them and the habitat they live in before we found some decent sized males to keep.
He also takes you around the rest of his plantation and allows you to try his various crops (garlic onions, coconut, taro, paw paw etc.) and there is something awesome about eating something fresh out of the ground or off the tree.
After the tour we ate an Uga over a drink, the whole thing provided a great insight into island life and I was given some produce to take home which I ate over the rest of my holiday including another Uga.
If you are the adventurous type (and if you're looking at Niue you probably are) then this is a must. It doesn't feel like a tour at all, I loved it. If you visit Niue visit Tony your stomach will thank you.

Date of experience: April 2015
5  Thank swiftyf1
Tony A, Owner at A5 Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2016

Thank for your comments. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the tour and experience. Our tour is aimed at providing you an inside to Niuean living and culture.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Tony looked after us in Niue, a great tour guide and amazing local knowledge. Highly recommended to anyone wanting to see the local culture of Niue. Great uga's, plenty of coconuts to drink, and and all round great host from the Mutalau village. Thanks again Niuean Coconut Dundee!!! We will be back again.

Date of experience: August 2014
5  Thank IakopoFu
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The A5 plantation tour was fantastic! We took our 2 school aged sons, and they had a ball (and learnt a lot too!). Tony is a fantastic host, and gives you a great insight into 'island life'. Visiting real plantations - touching, smelling and tasting local produce was awesome; but the highlight had to be the Uga Hunt! We headed into 'the bush' and Tony was great at assisting the kids when needed (but it certainly is a manageable trek for all ages and abilities). Collecting the Uga crab from the traps was exciting and interesting for the kids, and the simple things like opening up the different types of coconuts to try the milk, flesh or 'candy floss' was great. I would do this tour again and highly recommend it to everyone of all ages and abilities who want a real taste of Niue - with plenty of smiles and laughs. Thank you Tony and A5 tours for the fantastic memories!

Date of experience: September 2013
3  Thank Bl0ndie007
Reviewed 17 June 2014

An absolutely amazing day, great tour, awesome food!
I really enjoyed the uga hunting, followed by an interesting plantation visit and delicious lunch.
I recommend A5 Tours to everyone planning on going to Niue Island. Definitely a must-do!
Thanks again for everything! :-)

Date of experience: June 2014
2  Thank DJKiwiNZ
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I went on the A5 tour with one other individual and it was just amazing. We were greeted firstly by Tony our tour guide at his residence, where we then parker up and jumped into his 4 wheel for a short drive down the Mutalau Sea track. As we walked through the jagged rock formations under tall coconut trees Tony explained how he would bait the uga, the different colours you could get the Uga in. We saw many ugas on this particular night however they were all baby ones. I got to see soo many different coloured Ugas and Tony explained how they ate and when they would come out to look for food. Also on this tour we learnt about basic survival skills, the Mutalau community and also touched on different types of local food there were available on island (A5 tours also run a plantation tour). The high light for me was when we sat down in the muddle of the forest and Tony cut open a a coconut for each of us. As we sat there and chatted I took in the amazing suroundings, it was breath taking. After the tour Tony let us take an uga home to try, he also gave us some coconuts!! :) - Tony is a very informative and interesting man with alot of knowledge and experience under his belt. i thoroughly enjoyed talking to him and learning more about Niue's history. I would highly recommend this tour to those looking to know more about the Uga but also to those looking for adventure, a good laugh, and an experience of a lifetime. Fakaaue lahi mahaki A5 tours - I have a FANTASTIC time :)

Date of experience: May 2014