“Very nice hotel, and good 4 star”

Apostolata Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Skala
Manchester, UK
“Very nice hotel, and good 4 star”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I have just returned from the Apostolata, having spent 2 weeks there during which my daughter got married. Firstly I have been trying to imagine what superior and toffee nosed planet ‘moorhey’ lives on; and also whether they are even reviewing the same hotel that I have been in for the last 2 weeks? I have been here as a party of some 40 people who have stayed to attend the wedding, many of whom were young professional people – and yes most of us were all inclusive. Many of us were at the pool very early, and were usually some of the last to leave – we were more likely to be the last to dinner not the first.
I saw no distinction whatsoever between the behaviour of the AI guests as opposed to those who chose to not to book AI, and I am not sure how on earth anyone would possibly distinguish these, as there is no ‘wrist band’ system in operation here at all – in fact some people who were not AI even used this lack of identification to occasionally blag their drinks and meals for free, even when not AI, because the staff just often didn’t know. On the very small number of occasions I saw people with drinks at the side of the pool (and I might add never whilst walking around in the pool) it was never solely the domain of the ‘unwashed’ AI guests, but clearly our earlier mentioned contributor believes that a guests social status is lowered by paying up front for your food and drink.
Anyway to the hotel itself. As reported endlessly on here, there are lots of steps or hills to climb, but the electric cart systems works pretty well and most of our party who were a little inform or who had young children managed to make their way around the place quite well. The hotel does have very nice, modern rooms with instant hot water and quiet but efficient air conditioning. The pool is fantastic, and the hydrotherapy jets are a wonderful way of getting a quick massage – the salt water, and whatever other chemicals are in the water for cleansing purposes, do have the habit of quickly stripping off any sun lotion whether it’s water resistant or not, so keep re-applying.
If I had to be critical it would be things like the cost of wireless internet access; which despite tempting you with a physical network connections in most rooms, is only actually working and available in the reception area – there is a PC available I believe FOC, but there is often a queue. The cost of a safe key is also rather expensive at 20 Euros per week, for something the size of a shoe box. One oddity about most of the rooms was the sliding door and glass window that allowed you to view into the bathroom from the bed area, and then the glass door on the toilet section - this allowed to to watch someone sat on the loo from the balcony if you so desired??? The staff were in the main excellent, although some of the restaurant waiters were a little grumpier than elsewhere in the complex – Bogdan, George, Nikos and Dimitra were all particularly helpful and friendly.
The location is wonderful – great views of the sea, and far enough out of town so no noise or rowdiness, but unless you had a car you would be struggling to eat out at night if you weren’t AI. I won’t bore you with repeating much of the similar comments of previous guests, but please take some of the criticisms with a pinch of salt – the place has a variety of guests – young and old, various nationalities and clearly guests with various opinions of their social standing – but it is a very nice hotel and worth a visit if you can cope with the stairs. We were also extremely lucky as we saw not one cloud in 2 weeks, and had mid 30’s temperatures which apparently are more akin to August than June. I usually like to dive while on vacation but the nearest diving to here is some 1.5 hours drive away – that said I would be happy to visit again and I have many happy memories of this holiday.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank gamgee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We got married at the mareblue and stayed for three weeks and couldn't have wished for anything better !!!! The hotels chapel and grounds over looking the sea where we married was nothing short of stunning.
The staff were excellent and so helpful and friendly, the head chef was one of the nicest people we have met and would often come out at mealtimes and say hello , the girl at the pool bar always had a smile on her face and was very fast and efficient in the way she worked and the hotel manager was just fantastic we were even upgraded to one off the private studios once we were married!
The food was very good and we never got tired of it even after three weeks which is brilliant for an all inclusive holiday.
The scenery and views are just breathtaking and the gardens and pool areas are very well looked after.
We will definatley be going back and would recommend to anybody thinking of staying there.
Oh and to the idiot that says the place is full of wasps nests they are infact birds nests and were not a problem to anyone

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank florence062010
horley
Reviewed 19 June 2012

we stayed all inclusive from 28th May for a week. Cant believe how beautiful kefalonia is. You need to hire a car to get about and see it properley. We hired a car in Skala for 5 days for £140. filled it up once and that took us everywhere. We visited Fiskardo about an hour and a half drive up very windy hills. As someone who ahs never driven on the "wrong " side of the road it was pretty easy as there is little traffic on the roads and the map they give you is very simple to use. There is only a couple of main roads so you cant go wrong. Sami was lovely and if you want a shop go to Agostoli about an hours drive. Some of the hidden places off the beaten track like the beaches are worth the drive down off the main roads.

We went all inclusive and couldnt fault the food and the service. The staff are geat and very attentive, the food was varied and we even came back from visiting in the morning to have lunch as the food was better in the hotel than we found outside.

If you want peace and quiet in an unspolit country then this is ideal. The wine was drinkable - we were a bit dubious as its Greek but the luxury of all inclusive means you can experiment.

we stayed in room 147 which overlooked the sea and the pool and had a big terrace on the end of a row. the room had all the facilities we wanted and if we wnated something else like an iron or a fan just ask at reception they are very accommodating. There is a shuttle bus if you dont want to hire a car from the hotel to a couple of the resorts on the island.

loved it - was relaxed and recharged by the end of the break and would definately recommend the hotel to anyone...not suitable for kids though! which suited me even better

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank jenfreya
Brighton
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Had we known this was a resort with an "All-Inclusive" option, then we would have gone elsewhere. My fault, I should have read the reviews on here before making the booking.
As it was, those guests on the all-inclusive deal had their heads in the trough from the moment they arrived at the poolside after breakfast and, by about 4pm in the afternoon (when most of them left the pool so they could be first in the queue for the evening meal), some areas looked like a bomb-site.
It was a real shame for such a beautiful hotel, in such a breathtaking location, and whose staff worked hard - but you could see some staff were getting dispirited when the facilities were treated by some (not all) with contempt.
I cannot fault the hotel: the pool was one of the best I've used in Europe and the rooms were extremely spacious.
For us, the holiday was spoiled by the other British guests. Why claim sunbeds at dawn and then not use them until after 2pm? On one day, at least 10 beds were "claimed" and nobody appeared to use them all day.
But what upset me the most was the profligate waste of food and drink thru'out the day at the poolside and, as the week progressed, the detritus left behind grew-and-grew. Left unchallenged, the behaviour of the "all-inclusives" got worse to the point (by the final day of our holiday) that they were placing cups of beer at the pool edge and drinking smoothies and milk-shakes in the pool with apparent complete disregard for the effect a spill would have created to the water quality of the pool for other guests.
The hotel has undergone a major recent refurbishment and the management clearly consider their hotel to be "4-star-plus" but, if they don't manage the poolside better, they could end-up with a very expensive version of Butlins.
Would I go back? Only if they raised the prices by 50% and dropped the "all-inclusive" offer.

3 Thank moorhey
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Having read some of the other reviews prior to our stay I was slightly unsure what to expect. I have travelled in Greece before so I was aware that 5* might have a different interpretation! But I really needn't have worried. We travelled with Thomas Cook, our rep informed us that it was one of the nicest hotels in Skala and we weren't disappointed. The transfer from the airport was about 1hr 20mins. Once we arrived, we were checked in very quickly, given a cool drink and immediately upgraded thanks to it being our honeymoon! Having read other reviews where no upgrade was offered, I imagine this is done on the basis of whether or not they have availability rather than something they can guarantee. We were then taken directly to our room on the golf buggy. The room was large and clean and the view was fantastic! Air conditioning was included which was a bonus.
There was massive variety at all meal times - I'm three months pregnant which is making me uncharacteristically fussy but I still had no problem finding plenty to eat at all times! Equal choice if you'd like to try some local flavours or just want to stick to something you know. We stayed on a half board basis which worked well for us (obviously I wouldn't have been getting my money's worth on the alcohol front!). We made use of the free shuttle bus into Skala for lunch which was considerably cheaper than the hotel, though you can't argue with the pool side restaurant for convenience! All inclusive would probably have been the best choice if we had been drinking though, it seemed to include a lot more than I would have expected - full bottles of wine, large beers and even cocktails :)
I can't comment on the entertainment, it wasn't something we got involved in. If, like us, you're the kind of people who are happy to do your own thing you'll be pleased to hear that it wasn't at all intrusive. There are several pools, all beautiful and refreshing. There is also a small beach area though you should be aware that it's not a sandy beach :) Actually it's beautiful, straight out to the sea. Probably not suitable for children but that's nice if you're a couple. We did a bit of snorkling down there, plenty of fish. Bit of a climb back up, but the golf buggy will collect you if you're struggling.
We found the staff very helpful, they were happy to deliver things like a corkscrew and wine glasses to our room. All in all, a lovely stay and a great hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a friend, and the island itself is absolutely beautiful and so full of history.

Room Tip: There are some rooms with a shared pool but be aware that this is linked to a pool which can be used...
1 Thank AmeliaWakefield
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My husband and I just spent a week at the Mareblue Apostolata. Befrore I went, I was concerned by the reviews............. where did those folk stay? This was the best all inclusive hotel we have ever stayed at. The food was perfect every night. It was quiet. The staff were amazing - particularly the resteraunt staff and Christina in the bar. I would not hestitate to return. It was the most relaxing chilled week ever

4 Thank Yogakoolkat
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2012

My boyfriend and I have just come back from a 7 day holiday at the Mareblue Apostolata in Kefalonia.
What can I say... I cannot rate the hotel highly enough.... before going away I read some of the reviews on here and I was a little apprehensive but IT WAS GREAT!
This was our first holiday on an all inclusive package and it was brilliant. Transfers etc all seemless. check in fast and efficient.. golf buggy took us to our room, which was fun.
The resort is fabulous with stunning views, the facilities were great and the resort was extremely well kept, we particularly enjoyed the pool was huge with plenty of room to swim. It was a great resort for us, as it was mostly couples so quite relaxed.
The accomodation was fab, fantastic views... rooms air conditioned, everything you needed really. The lock broke on our door, the hotel staff were fantastic, they were so efficient and fast and upgraded our room for the rest of our stay - the staff were so helpful.Yes, the hotel is on a cliff, so there are a lot of steps, so could be difficult for some people, but we found it fine and a good workout from all that food and relaxing. The beach is 5 minutes in a shuttle bus, was no bother at all. There is a cove at the hotel and although not quite a beach, was great to be able to swim in the sea and there is an area for sunbathing with parasols and sun loungers etc.
The food was good and choice of drinks on all inclusive menu was great. The hotel had everything that you needed and tried to cater for everyone.
There is a spa with some good offers if you are looking to pamper yourself.
We enjoyed the tennis courts but only in the evening as it was so hot. The enterainment was great, from reading the reviews... it sounded really in your face (not my sort of thing) but actually, if you wanted to get involved great, if not it did not disturb your holiday at all. Entertainment involved.. swimming in the sea as group (which we did), table tennis, darts, aqua aerobics and football in the day and with live singers/bands in the evening.

all in all, a great holiday... thank you Mareblue... we will be back!

Room Tip: you can make request for room preference, we asked for a quiet room and so we were quiet room... whi...
1 Thank Jennifer S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skala
Apollonion Resort & Spa
Astra Village Hotel & Suites
Emelisse Art Hotel
Emelisse Art Hotel
#2 of 7 in Fiscardo

Been to Apostolata Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!