“Amazing holiday - Ignore bad reviews”

Apostolata Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Skala
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I have just arrived home from a 1 week holiday here. It was one of the best holidays I have been on!

When we arrived, the lady was very polite. They all spoke good English too.
Our bags were taken from us and in return we were given an ice cold drink, which after a 11/2 hour coach trip, we needed!
The staff could not do enough for you, our bags were swiftly loaded onto a golf cart and we were whizzed off to our apartment. No tip expected!

Apartment
We had a superior sea view, which did not disappoint
Fresh and cool on arrival
The bathroom had a wet room, bath and shower overhead!
Fruit and water on arrival
Huge balcony!
TV, fridge & plenty of clothing space

Upon arrival we were given all timings and availability of the restaurant, bars and spa.
We went all inclusive, it was all very clear what was and wasn't included. We found that the only place that was particularly different between all inc and half board, was the pool restaurant.

The ice was from bottled water, as was the water salads were washed in. No water came from a tap - everything was bottled!

There were no insects, the odd cricket but they're harmless!

The service was incredible. The pool had parasol with a button - press it and along comes a lad named George. You never have to get up!

I can't list everything about his hotel that made it brilliant, but i would recommend this place to anyone. Family or couple - it was fantastic.

Go into Skala, book a taxi at reception and go into the main part with shops and bars - it was a lovely village.

I would recommend to go for the private pool room if you can, go through the hotel when upgrading - we met a great couple who had a private room and it was fantastic!

By the way - the nests are not wasps! They are swallows!

Room Tip: Sea view room, private pool if you can!
2  Thank PhoebeTann

Reviewed 30 June 2012

This is a lovely hotel. The staff are very helpful. The food was very good with a good selection and plenty. The location is outside of scala but it is a very short taxi ride away and we liked not staying right in the town. The swimming pool never seemed busy as it is so big and the sea was lush. There are lots of steps but this was not a problem and I think it is pretty much the same wherever you stay in Scala. Definatly want to go back.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms have a grea view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank m0rgank
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Hi i have just spent 11 nights here. What a lovely hotel, the staff are so friendly they could not do enough for you. The food was lovely and had a wide choice, we paid extra for a sea view and the room was lovely, clean bedding and towels everyday. The bar staff at the pool Anna and George was lovely, the upstairs bar Christina was so helpful, she never stopped running about after everyone. It is worth upgrading the all inclusive as it would turn out an expensive holiday. Had several trips into skala, only 6 euros to get there, would not recommend walking as it was further than quoted. We are thinking of going there again next year as we feel so relaxed.

1  Thank Gaynor H
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I spent two weeks at this hotel from 3rd to 17th June, with my fiancé (now husband!) as we were getting married on the island. We spent a third week in a villa in Lourdas which I will review later. During our stay about 40 of our friends and family came and went as they were attending the wedding.
I booked this particular hotel mainly because they did offer the all-inclusive option, which suited our wedding guests and provided them with certainty of costs so it worked well for us. I have to say that after booking it I was apprehensive following some negative reviews being posted on here but, as is often the case with trip advisor, I shouldn't have worried (some people simply come on here to moan).
Firstly, to answer those negative reviews....yes, the hotel is quite a way out of skala but a cursory consideration of the website will tell you this so they are hardly trying to hide the fact! It is also not technically on the beach, but again we knew this before we left the UK so I'm surprised that other people didn't bother to check it before they booked. There is, however, a wonderful cove for swimming directly into the sea which was absolutely beautiful and I preferred it to a sandy beach in any event. And then there are the steps!! Everywhere you read it says that this hotel isn't for people with mobility issues so simply don't book it!!!! It is built on the side of the mountain, which gives the wonderful views it is famous for. However, our party included people with small children and my 90 year old grandma and they all managed fine with the golf buggy service, even if it wasn't ideal.
We booked the superior sea view room (room 315) and it was lovely and spacious with a huge balcony (some aren't as big though; it depends which block you are in and which floor). It had a huge bed (some did have singles pushed together but we had written to the hotel ahead of time to request a double), great air-con, a beautiful bathroom and lovely furnishings. I had seen a few of my friends' standard rooms and they were much smaller but absolutely fine for a holiday stay. All of the, got sea view rooms even though they didnt pay for them....i think you would be unlucky not to get a sea view considering its location. I was a bit surprised and disappointed by the charge for a safe (20 euros per week) so actually didn't bother paying for one in the end!
The pool area is lovely and clean and the staff were (for the most part) extremely friendly, particularly George who brings drinks around the pool and drives the golf buggy, Anna and Dimitria who work behind the pool bar. Food was of a high quality and I was blown away by the fact that all name brand drinks were included in the all-inclusive option. I have stayed at quite a few all-inclusive hotels and this one had by far the best choices, including bottles of the lovely Robola wine which you should definitely try.
I used the spa quite a lot whilst I was there and nikki, the manager is really, really lovely. As I was getting married she recommended a spa party for my female guests which was excellent value and we all had lots of fun getting mud wraps, massages and using the beautiful facilities. They also provide food and drink for the occasion....if you are getting married I'd definitely ask about doing this if you have the time.
A few of our guests had young children and whilst the hotel isn't famed for kids entertainment, it does have a great little calf-deep pool for them, a small playground and Chad, the animation guy who was really fantastic at keeping them happy.
Guests seemed mostly to be older couples so our large party probably livened things up slightly but everyone was really friendly with us and most just joined in!!!
All in all this hotel was absolutely fantastic for us and our wedding party and I would definitely recommend it for your stay in skala if you don't mind steps, have a hire care and love beautiful sea views!!!!

Room Tip: Room 315 - superior sea view. Close to restaurant and reception, can park hire car right outside, h...
4  Thank Lucielawyer
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I have just returned from the Apostolata, having spent 2 weeks there during which my daughter got married. Firstly I have been trying to imagine what superior and toffee nosed planet ‘moorhey’ lives on; and also whether they are even reviewing the same hotel that I have been in for the last 2 weeks? I have been here as a party of some 40 people who have stayed to attend the wedding, many of whom were young professional people – and yes most of us were all inclusive. Many of us were at the pool very early, and were usually some of the last to leave – we were more likely to be the last to dinner not the first.
I saw no distinction whatsoever between the behaviour of the AI guests as opposed to those who chose to not to book AI, and I am not sure how on earth anyone would possibly distinguish these, as there is no ‘wrist band’ system in operation here at all – in fact some people who were not AI even used this lack of identification to occasionally blag their drinks and meals for free, even when not AI, because the staff just often didn’t know. On the very small number of occasions I saw people with drinks at the side of the pool (and I might add never whilst walking around in the pool) it was never solely the domain of the ‘unwashed’ AI guests, but clearly our earlier mentioned contributor believes that a guests social status is lowered by paying up front for your food and drink.
Anyway to the hotel itself. As reported endlessly on here, there are lots of steps or hills to climb, but the electric cart systems works pretty well and most of our party who were a little inform or who had young children managed to make their way around the place quite well. The hotel does have very nice, modern rooms with instant hot water and quiet but efficient air conditioning. The pool is fantastic, and the hydrotherapy jets are a wonderful way of getting a quick massage – the salt water, and whatever other chemicals are in the water for cleansing purposes, do have the habit of quickly stripping off any sun lotion whether it’s water resistant or not, so keep re-applying.
If I had to be critical it would be things like the cost of wireless internet access; which despite tempting you with a physical network connections in most rooms, is only actually working and available in the reception area – there is a PC available I believe FOC, but there is often a queue. The cost of a safe key is also rather expensive at 20 Euros per week, for something the size of a shoe box. One oddity about most of the rooms was the sliding door and glass window that allowed you to view into the bathroom from the bed area, and then the glass door on the toilet section - this allowed to to watch someone sat on the loo from the balcony if you so desired??? The staff were in the main excellent, although some of the restaurant waiters were a little grumpier than elsewhere in the complex – Bogdan, George, Nikos and Dimitra were all particularly helpful and friendly.
The location is wonderful – great views of the sea, and far enough out of town so no noise or rowdiness, but unless you had a car you would be struggling to eat out at night if you weren’t AI. I won’t bore you with repeating much of the similar comments of previous guests, but please take some of the criticisms with a pinch of salt – the place has a variety of guests – young and old, various nationalities and clearly guests with various opinions of their social standing – but it is a very nice hotel and worth a visit if you can cope with the stairs. We were also extremely lucky as we saw not one cloud in 2 weeks, and had mid 30’s temperatures which apparently are more akin to August than June. I usually like to dive while on vacation but the nearest diving to here is some 1.5 hours drive away – that said I would be happy to visit again and I have many happy memories of this holiday.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank gamgee
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We got married at the mareblue and stayed for three weeks and couldn't have wished for anything better !!!! The hotels chapel and grounds over looking the sea where we married was nothing short of stunning.
The staff were excellent and so helpful and friendly, the head chef was one of the nicest people we have met and would often come out at mealtimes and say hello , the girl at the pool bar always had a smile on her face and was very fast and efficient in the way she worked and the hotel manager was just fantastic we were even upgraded to one off the private studios once we were married!
The food was very good and we never got tired of it even after three weeks which is brilliant for an all inclusive holiday.
The scenery and views are just breathtaking and the gardens and pool areas are very well looked after.
We will definatley be going back and would recommend to anybody thinking of staying there.
Oh and to the idiot that says the place is full of wasps nests they are infact birds nests and were not a problem to anyone

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank florence062010
Reviewed 19 June 2012

we stayed all inclusive from 28th May for a week. Cant believe how beautiful kefalonia is. You need to hire a car to get about and see it properley. We hired a car in Skala for 5 days for £140. filled it up once and that took us everywhere. We visited Fiskardo about an hour and a half drive up very windy hills. As someone who ahs never driven on the "wrong " side of the road it was pretty easy as there is little traffic on the roads and the map they give you is very simple to use. There is only a couple of main roads so you cant go wrong. Sami was lovely and if you want a shop go to Agostoli about an hours drive. Some of the hidden places off the beaten track like the beaches are worth the drive down off the main roads.

We went all inclusive and couldnt fault the food and the service. The staff are geat and very attentive, the food was varied and we even came back from visiting in the morning to have lunch as the food was better in the hotel than we found outside.

If you want peace and quiet in an unspolit country then this is ideal. The wine was drinkable - we were a bit dubious as its Greek but the luxury of all inclusive means you can experiment.

we stayed in room 147 which overlooked the sea and the pool and had a big terrace on the end of a row. the room had all the facilities we wanted and if we wnated something else like an iron or a fan just ask at reception they are very accommodating. There is a shuttle bus if you dont want to hire a car from the hotel to a couple of the resorts on the island.

loved it - was relaxed and recharged by the end of the break and would definately recommend the hotel to anyone...not suitable for kids though! which suited me even better

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank jenfreya
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skala
Astra Village Hotel & Suites
Porto Skala Hotel & Village
Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel
Ionian Emerald Resort
Kefalonia Bay Palace
Kefalonia Bay Palace
#4 of 6 in Agia Efimia
Petani Bay Hotel- Adults Only

Been to Apostolata Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!