“Definitely not a 5* hotel but an amazing location”

Apostolata Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Skala
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Me and my fiancee spent one week in this hotel and all was ok regarding:
-location(on the hills, beautiful sunrise)
-room size(we had 610-superior sea view)
-pool facilities(plenty of sunbeds, umbrellas, big, nice& clean pool)
-pool bartender (George-very friendly and really familiar with the notion of hospitality).
-souvenir shop (the lady was extremely friendly and helpful with all the info regarding Kefalonia and she could be a good example for reception staff.)
-transfer from hotel to Skala or Poros and retur free of charge and provided by the hotel

Exceptions:
-food (a lot and low quality except Greek night on Friday when even the salad taste was different)
-reception (no service at all. Try to imagine that I am saying this due to my work experience in this field over 6 years. No interest at all in providing info's about the island and definitely they don't know how to sale trips even if the people are obviously interested about it. Generally, they are not looking over the guests. Lowest service-if I can name it like this-was represented by Mrs.Eva)
-housekeeping ( superficial level)
-restaurant staff (mediocre level)

Overall, from what we saw, is the best option in Skala due to the location(if you like sea and rocks). A sandy beach you will find only in Skala (the closest one). If you are looking for a relaxing place Apostolata is the right word for it.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I traveled to this hotel for two of my friends wedding in June 2013. They actually got married by the chapel on the hill within the hotels grounds. All I can say is the whole experience was fantastic. I even used the spa facilities which was amazing. I had a full body massage and facial and felt like I was in heaven. Well worth a visit if like me you needed to unwind after a busy work life! The hotel, services, staff and location are great and nothing is too much trouble. The food was second to none and there was nothing I could complain about. I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone. Evening entertainment is very chilled so if you want lively you need to take a short taxi trip into skala about 6 euros in the evening. The hotel has a courtesy bus to take you into Skala every half an hour except for Sundays. I could go on and on about how fabulous this hotel is but you need to see for yourself. The view from my room was amazing to wake up to every morning.... I will definitely be returning here. Thanks to all the staff at the hotel and spa for a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Paul C
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Very clean and friendly hotel, Staff are lovely. Our room was very clean and had amazing views (225) we were lucky to have a room next door to reception so we had Wifi in the room and close to the restaurant. We went late July early August when it was very hot, we found the Air Conditioning poor in the room and had a few uncomfortable nights.

As it was our honeymoon we had a few bottles of water and champagne in the room on arrival.

We were half board, this was ok for us as we decided to eat out a lot. The food is ok, but pretty much the same all week with the odd dish changing. Breakfast was a little disappointing. If you are not all inclusive i recommend not drinking in the hotel, it is very expensive. 5 euros for a beer, 2.50 euros for a coke and you only get 150ml (less than a can). We found a great supermarket on the way to Skala (beers 1.50 and a 2L bottle of coke 1.50) and kept our fridge stocked.

We found eating out not very expensive (most meals for 2 with 2 drinks each would cost around 25 euros) and many places in Skala offer great food (we found ourselves in Flamingo's more than once, great service and food, and good prices).

Overall a lovely hotel, stunning views. Food could be improved and unless you are all inclusive leave the bar's well alone! Also expect to do a lot of walking up stairs to get to any where in the hotel!

But we had a lovely honeymoon on the island and will be returning to the island but not to this hotel, maybe self catering villa next time.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view room! We had room 225 was a bit of a walk to the pool and the sea. But next d...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dyoung87
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I am new to this but felt compelled to write this review after reading some of the latest reviews & because I HAVE EXPERIENCED THE LUXURY OF THE WORLDS ONLY 7 STAR HOTEL IN DUBAI, so therefore would say I am in a real position to judge what constitutes 5 stars! Let's be honest to start with, everybody knows that a European 5 star hotel is probably going to be a little less luxurious than a 5 star hotel in the likes of Dubai or the Caribbean so I think some people need a bit more common sense to begin with! It is not really the hotels fault either that there is building work going on nearby is it? The noise from the building work could be heard from our balcony yes, but when we were at the pool I was either speaking to Chad or other guests, engrossed in a book or listening to my I pod so didn't notice it in the slightest. The pool was clean with plenty of loungers & stunning views & those were things I appreciated greatly. The infinity pool near reception is so peaceful & relaxing. Our room was spacious & clean with a good sized balcony & close to the restaurant so the steps were not an issue for us. The restaurant has the most genuinely friendly staff & manager of any hotel restaurant we have EVER been to. Bearing in mind this was peak season & very busy the staff still took time to chat to us each evening & cleared our table quickly. The food was also perfectly fine. Maybe slightly repetitive but I am not a pig where food is concerned so I was able to have a decent salad, hot meal & desert each evening without a problem. Yes, the drinks here & in the bar are not cheap but lets face it, in all of the hotels I've been to worldwide the drinks are more expensive in the hotel than in local supermarkets , bars etc. Fresh fruit juices ARE available with breakfast but do cost you which was fine with me.The entertainment is low key yes but for me that is the point of coming to a hotel with a spa... to RELAX! It's not really difficult to get a taxi into the town at night is it, though I would say Skala is a very calm resort all round & that for me along with its beauty is the attraction. The hotel lays on a free shuttle bus to both Skala & Pourus which we used when we wanted to have a few hours break from the hotel. Last year we stayed at the newly opened Tesoro Blu in Skala which felt cold & sterile, had smaller rooms, the traffic on the road to contend with while round the swimming pool, a rude receptionist & rude, busy waiting staff so the Mareblue Apostolata is far better than that hotel hands down. All the staff we met were wonderful & professional & seem happy in their work & they went out of their way to help us have a great stay here. Kettles & tea bags, coffee for your rooms are available IF you ask at reception. We would certainly come here again. I would like to say thanks to the manager & staff for giving us our best Greek holiday yet.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tina S
Reviewed 9 August 2013

This is NOT a 5 star hotel.

The view is stunning and the staff are very friendly but it is a very long way to becoming a 5 star hotel. The superior rooms have lovely Ionian Sea views only to be interrupted by few unfinished construction sites nearby. There is no tea or coffee making facilities, no shower cap and the soaps are of very low quality they don't even lather/foam. There is no tissues and not even bottled water in the rooms but strangely, there is a bathrobe and slippers... But sadly, this does not elevate it to a 5 star standard.

We opted for HB and realised that it was a huge mistake. The food is really aweful, plenty but simply mediocre and of canteen standard at its best. The food is reheated over and over again and ended up looking more like stale prison food. The orange juice is not even juice, more like yellow coloured water with no flavour. Overall, the food is the Greek's interpretation of a very poor quality English pub grub. The hotel should serve more local dishes as this is what they do best both in terms of presentations and tastes.

The entertainment is OK but again just a pub style at it's best. I would recommend this hotel at 3 star and happily come back here but only at HALF the price. We just came back from AI CLUB MED, which when all added up, not much more expensive than this but at least, we actually got what we paid for.

Strongly suggest the management to invest in training themselves on what actually is 5 star offerings so they know the huge difference between a 5 and 3 stars.

Can't really blame those who never had the opportunity to experience real 5 stars, to think that this is as good as it gets!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Linda B
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed at the mareblue apostolata in skala, kefalonia for a week with my family. it was amazing!

Food:
Plenty of choice! There's 3 restaurants - a buffet style restaurant, a pool restaurant for more snack/casual type meals, and an a la carte restaurant if you want somewhere fancier. Everything i tried tasted absolutely amazing, and there IS lots of choice despite what reviews say here. At the buffet there's always the same things like salad, fresh bread, and pizza but there's also varying other dishes like different meats and traditional greek dishes so there's honestly plenty to try.
Staff:
Absolutely amazing. They were all so friendly and eager to help no matter what it was, and honestly tried their absolute best to make sure the guests at the hotel were enjoying their holiday. In particular, George the bartender, Chad who ran the entertainment and Demetria who also worked at the bar were amazing.

There's different activities and entertainment that goes on like a fire show, aqua aerobics, and live music but if you want to leave the hotel there's plenty of things to do and see - i'd personally recommend Fiskardo (which is in the north of the island) and Mirtos beach.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view - worth the extra money
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank charley_blackwell
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Hotel Mareblue Apostolata is definitely 5* hotel. The view is so stunning from every corner of the hotel. The staff is very frendly, and the food is so good, you can eat what ever you have in mind. The hotel also offers car rental, and you can park your car directly in front of your room. The rooms are very clean, and the cleaning lady was so nice, every day with the big smile on her face. Every few days they organised the evenig with live greek music on the terrace, its was great.
I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skala
Regina Dell Acqua Resort
Astra Village Hotel & Suites
Kefalonia Bay Palace
Kefalonia Bay Palace
#3 of 6 in Agia Efimia

Been to Apostolata Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!