“A nice Hotel”

and 1 more site!
San Giorgio
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Skala
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I didnt stay in this hotel but my aunty did, I visited the hotel on several occasions, When arriving my aunty had a room right at the top which was steps then more steps and then more so she went to reception explained her legs arn't the best and they moved her down to another room just at the bottom of the hill by reception, this roon was very clean and spacious. The hotel was up a hill but once your up there you havent really got to leave, the pool area was really relaxed, the food in the afternoon was lovely, the toasties and wraps were good, I walked to the hotel from my hotel in skala, It was a nice walk a bit dark in places on the night but I used my phone for light and was fine. I also attended quiz night which was a laugh and my aunty loved the Karaoke. A very nice hotel with pretty grounds.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that are very very high up.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank katiemck
There are newer reviews for San Giorgio

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Just returned from a weeks stay at the San Giorgio. A very relaxing location away from the activity of the centre of Skala and set into a hillside opposite the bay of St Giorgio. Initially our room was on a low floor despite having requested a higher floor, sadly it didn't have a sea view and smelled of damp. Following our complaint the next morning we were offered another room at the very top of the complex; a modern room with panoramic sea views and no smells! The staff were apologetic and admitted that they were aware of the damp/musty smell from some of the lower rooms. Despite this unpleasant experience the rest of our time at the San Giorgio was great. A very clean and well maintained resort with two fantastic pools. We rented a car for a few days which was a real advantage when returning to the hotel and the prospect of the climb up to our room. With a (very) steep new road leading directly to the very top of the resort and parking outside the room - life was easy! On the days when we didn't have the car we needed to plan our day carefully so that it involved the least number trips back up cardiac hill! Having to check out at 10:00 in the morning didn't really bother us, but It did seem a bit mean to charge customers just to keep the room for a couple more hours. All in all a lovely hotel in a great location with super swimming pools and friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank balbithan
Reviewed 14 June 2012

what more can i say! Best holiday ever. Gorgeous location. Wonderful staff. Rooms cleaned every day. Fantastic food in the pool side snack bar. Would highly recommend and cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2012
9  Thank mevamad
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Returned from the San Giorgio yesterday, we had a very pleasant stay. Our room 212 was clean, modern and not too high, but still had a good view of the hotel pool and sea. The whole hotel was spotless and the staff friendly. We stayed B & B - took our own travel kettle as one is not provided in the room but you can hire one from reception for 3 euro per day. Breakfast was ok; fresh orange juice would have been preferable to the orange squash and fresh fruit instead of tinned would have been better. Evening meals in the hotel restaurant were good and reasonably priced, about 7 to 9 euro for a main course.
Overall we were very pleased with the hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank c e
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We had a fantastic week at the San Giorgio from the 3rd to the 10th of June. As previously stated the hotel is about a 40 minute walk from the centre of Skala, which we did most mornings, in the heat of the day though we either took the courtesy bus or called a cab. They were there in a couple of minutes every time, and at five euros before a tip, we thought very good value. The staff at the hotel are very friendly, especially Sophia at reception. It is spotlessly clean throughout, from the rooms to the pools and bar area. The rooms are cleaned daily, and the towels changed alternate days. If I had one very small gripe it would be some more towels would be appreciated. Our rooms were high, which meant we had amazing views, but as an asthmatic the stairs could be a killer. A little break halfway did the trick though, and the views were quite breathtaking. We were only there on a bed and board basis, so I can't comment on the breakfasts, but there are plenty of places in Skala to eat breakfast, and the rooms all have a fridge, two rings and a kettle if you want to eat it at home. It's a quiet resort, and feels completly safe, and for 12 euros for a week you can hire a safe for your room. The grounds are lush with lots of well maintained flowers and greenery. I have to also mention the Thomson rep Suzie, who really knew her stuff and was very efficient. We took the Discover Kefalonia day trip which was a great way to see the Island. My favourite place being Fiskardo where we ate lunch, very pretty harbour village. The Drogarati Caves and Melissani Lakes are beautiful and well worth a visit. Our favourite restaurant was The Old Village which has a great garden and lovely food and friendly staff, especially Danny who made us feel really welcome All in all a very relaxing break, in a picturesque setting. Would happily recommend.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Jacqueline A
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My husband, 4 year old and I stayed here for a week at the end of May. We chose self catering and it was ample for our needs. There is a fridge, 2 ring cooker, sink and plenty of utensils and pans. Everything was clean. Our room was spacious and had modern furniture and a lovely patio area with a wooden pagoda and nice patio furniture. The beds were 2 singles which was pushed together and although firm suited my husband and I. Our little boy slept on a very comfortable sofa bed which we were pleased about as we thought it was going to be a camp bed. The room was cleaned daily and when the bedding and towels were changed, the maid made shapes out the towels on the beds. She even arranged our little boy's teddy's on the bed.
We found all the staff to be very friendly and the reception staff are wonderful and helpful.
Unfortunately I did not take beach towels as we have taken them on most holidays to find that the hotel supplies them. This is not the case here so we had to use our room towels!
The grounds are very spacious and because of the way the pools are spaced out you did not feel like you were on top of each other. The kids pool was fab and it was not slippery underfoot when the kids were out of the pool running along side it. We went swimming and it was cool at first but very nice.
We used the mini bus into Scala every evening. There are seat belts. The driver is polite and I was most impressed when he did the seat belt up for my little boy. We felt it could have done with having a bus going in at 5 and maybe a 10pm return, but then I suppose it would take trade away from the hotel and it is a free daily service.
Scala is a small place and most of restaurants are in main road. We found them to be good but found that the restaurants of the main strip did bigger portions and much cheaper.
Overal we found this hotel to be a very good standard for a Greek hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it. It really is a gem of a hotel and we did not want to leave.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Iabud67
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We went there with our baby daughter for 14 days at the beginning of March when they had just opened the hotel for the saeson. The room was very spacious with an adjoining terrace sporting a lovely sea view and the cleaning lady came around every day keeping it up to a high standard. Had a nice new travel cot in the room with fresh laundry as well. They have 3 pools and while we were there it was always easy to find sun loungers. The pools are very well cleaned and maintained. Only the huge, high palm trees around them give away that they are not made yesterday. The shower/ toilet facilities near the pools are very clean too.
Maybe because of our need of a travelcot they did not put us up in the higher regions of the hotel rooms, but I think without having to carry an infant and the associated equipment the higher up rooms are slightly better for a view.
The San Giorgio is outside of Skala. Wanting some peace and quiet this is why we booked it. You are alright to walk into town in about 50 minutes, but on the way back I would recommend a taxi because of the heat.
There is a couples retreat "Hotel Tesoro Blu" from Thomson just down the road on your way to Skala. It is new and looks stylish, but it is built so closely to the main road you can see everyone in the pool area on closeup view just walking past.
In the San Giorgio instead you have such a huge amound of space - no one on the main street will even know where the pools are:-).
I recommend to hire a car for a few days. Kefalonia is a wonderful island with a wide varietry of nature. You would miss out just staying every day in the hotel or Skala. Another recommendation is to buy yourself a pair of rubber sandals. Just slightly outside the hotel there is a wonderful little bay where you can go swimming/snorkeling, but the little beach is very stony. If you are going to some other tourist attraction beaches they are also very nice but extremely stony. So without rubber sandals you will hurt your feet.
Regarding the food at the hotel I personally would recommend you to not eat there. The food in the restaurant is not very nice. I say that after a several greek holidays. I can not really recommend the breakfast as well. There is no fresh fruit, elderly bread to be toasted, one cheese, one ham, packaged jam and honey. The "hot breakfast" was changing daily between baked beans or scrambled eggs and both were not nice. But saying that: I was on holiday and driving down the road every day for fresh croissants and then preparing the rest of the breakfast plus the following washing up compared to just having toast at the hotel restaurant - the restaurant would win.
If you look for a nice place to eat in the evening I can very highly recommend "Old Times". They serve authentic greek food, have very friendly staff and a wonderful sea view. It is even in easy walking distance to the San Giorgio and back.
We are planning to go back next spring and book a car in advance for the whole stay this time. if you have a look what Thompson charges for the transfer from the Airport to the hotel you are much better advised tpo hire a car for yourselfes and do some trips.
The San Giorgio is a lovely place. I never considered to go back to the same hotel on holidays before.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pseepferdchen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skala
Apostolata Island Resort & Spa
Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel
Paspalis Hotel
Paspalis Hotel
#7 of 23 in Skala

Been to San Giorgio? Share your experiences!