“Fantastic Birthday Treat”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Skala
Rugby
“Fantastic Birthday Treat”
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I am absolutely amazed at the reviews I have read. My partner and I went to this hotel for my birthday for 10 days and we had a fantastic time. We had a standard room which was small but perfectly formed, it was cleaned daily to a high standard. The hotel staff were very helpful and could not do enough for you, the pool was clean and the jacuzzi was an additional benefit.
Skala the resort was ideal for couples with a handful of restaurants and bars with only one tacky 'English' disco/bar that we saw.
I would recommend this hotel and resort to any couple with or without a young child as the resort was family friendly with no groups of young lads or gilrls looking for a good time.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2010

10 years ago my partner and 3 of her friends were transfered to the 9 Muses when their holiday hotel went bust and although their original hotel was only 3 stars they were looked after like royalty. The 9 Muses had only just opened that year - 2000.
We met soon after her return and she has always wanted to return. This year being our 10th anniversary of meeting we decided to go back with 1 of her original friends and husband. Having booked 6 months ago you can imagine our apprehension when we started to read the very negative reviews that were popping up on Trip Advisor.
All we can say is ' who upset their applecart!'
Reading the reviews again one can spot the 'chav' element in the way things are worded. I am not being aloof - I mix with all sorts in my profession. I just dont feel that their biased reporting deserves to go unanswered.
Staff - excellent. Always a smile and nothing too much trouble.
Rooms - Very well maintained - a very good 4 star standard and not showing their age. Towels changed daily if required and sheets every 2 days.
Pools - Always space although it was mid May. Yes water was cold.
Breakfast - Yes the same display every day but consisted of 3 cereals, toast, various bread rolls, croissants, ham, cheese, greek yoghurt, fresh fruit, fruit juices, tea and coffee. And a good full english fry up for 5 euros extra. (And no sergeant major checking on how much you eat.)
Evening restaurant - sadly only average - it flatters to deceive - the ambiance and food in the tavernas is better although you dont go to Greece for haute cuisine!
Guests - A good mix of ages although tending to be 40 - 60 at this time of year. Friendliness was on par with any other resort. It's not a hotel for children - in fact Skala is not geared up for them at all. There were 2 young families with babes and the staff appeared very eager to help them.
To sum up - I wrote home on my postcards that I felt like the original ' Prisoner ' from the 60's TV series - except that I didn't want to escape!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2010

Honestly, I will talk to anyone but we found that unless you were a repeat visitor or got friendly with a repeat visitor you were persona non grata. Horrible room which repeat visitors told us was a rubbish room that they fob off on new comers. If your not "in with the gang" you're considered a moaner. Spent the equivalent of a trip to the US to go to Greece for our wedding anniversay. Suffice to say this holiday has ensured we go to States now. To be fair, food was good.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank janie75
bristol
Reviewed 26 March 2010

I have stayed in the nine muses several times and am actually going again with my mother this July and this is a lovely hotel with genuine friendly staff. I can't believe some of the recent negative comments written. I am only 30 and class myself as pretty well travelled to give a overall genunine opinion! Yes there are older couples who stay at the hotel but then there are younger couples also. As for being clicky at the bar, If you don't join in and get into the holiday mood and don't make an effort then your not going to enjoy yourself! Re noise levels, if your on ground floor, what do you expect! You get this in thousands of hotels even in England there isn't sound proof so deal with it! I admit the food in the hotel restaurant isn't the best but the breakfasts are fine a normal continental breakfast which me and my mum enjoyed, and the view overlooking the sea, what more could you ask for. Plenty of sunbeds at second pool iwhich was quieter, if none at main pool, we went peak season and never had a problem.We have stayed in a ground floor room and you can sometimes smell the drains but this is the heat and you get this anywhere, it's not that bad and not all the time. As for people saying the resort is run down I think it is more rustic and the true greece I would hate to see this lovely town turn into a metropolis it's perfect just as it is! Great restaurants are Aquarius, Flamingos, the best bar is bonnie & clydes, sam and Theonnassis are so lovely and make you feel so welcome and make the best cocktails. Fab hotel and fab resort. you'd be mad not to go!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Solihull
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I was browsing reviews for 9 Muses and could not believe the 1 star reviews I was seeing. We too were there in October 2009 and had a fantastic time . This was our 3rd stay there and we are going back again this October which I think says it all really. An excellent hotel, comfortable clean ( if a bit basic) rooms , right on the beach and only a few minutes walk into Skala which , while not being Benidorm ( I am glad to say!) has enough tavernas, shops and bars to satisfy most people . Poor breakfast and unfriendly staff? Were they really at the same hotel I was? The food at Aeolos , the resturant at the front of the hotel is always good and the staff always have a smile and a friendly greeting. Maybe you need to give a smile to receive one.... I would also point out that Aeolos is NOT actually part of the 9 muses hotel, it merely has a tie in with the hotel to provide breakfasts for half board guests and does offer 15% discount to hotel guests on evening meals. Also, to mark an excellent hotel down to one star on the basis that they dont feel obliged to look after a few stray kittens is just ridiculous. Ths island is full of stray cats after all ! In summary- go to 9 muses, have a wonderful holiday , we always do !

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
windsor, berkshire
Reviewed 10 November 2009

Myself and my husband stayed at Nine Muses from 15-25 October 2009 and we had a wonderful time. Before booking we researched reviews about Nine Muses- which up until about a week before our departure were glowing, however some negative reviews were starting to be posted which worried us. We were surprised to find that these negative reviews (in our opinion) were unjust and unfair to the hotel.

It is very aesthetically pleasing from the outside with beautiful colours of the apartments with an array of foliage and flowers, very welcoming and obliging staff who always greeted and did all they could for you. The breakfast buffet was perfect, with a choice of croissants, bread, boiled eggs, ham, cheese, cereal, fruit, greek yoghurt, cake, tea, coffee, o.j. or the option of an english breakkie which I think was 4euro extra. I did notice that nobody had english breakfast as the breakfast supplied was quite substantial and it made me think how there's no pleasing some people who reviewed the breakfast as dull, and anyway Skala highstreet is 3 minutes walk from the hotel and even though the breakfast is included if one doesn't like it that much why not just stroll over to the high street and buy your idea of a perfect breakfast there- problem solved.

As for other reviews claiming it's full of old people, we were VERY disappointed at the huge LACK of old people, average age being about 30 (hubby and I are 27 and 24) and people were very friendly with no scowls being seen at all.

Cats- well we love animals and own cats of our own, there was an abundance but it was pleasant to see, they're all soooo cute!!!The staff were very tolerant of the cats, giving them tid bits and a lot of the holiday makers were feeding the cats while inside the restaurant, this wasn't frowned upon at all, least of all by the staff. It is an unfair claim to say staff mistreat the cats- also the hotel can't control the cats, they're strays and it would be impossible to prevent them from loitering.

The only thing we didn't like about the hotel was the on site restaurant, Aelos. We had two (low standard) courses with water-no alchol -for 45euros so personally we wouldn't eat there again. If you don't like it, go somewhere else which is what we did. For us, the best restaurant was Old Village on Skala highstreet- it's wonderful, exceedingly good value and offers the best array of food- including the best Baklava and Kephalonian Meat Pie we had (and we tried many!!) with the most wonderful staff, particularly Danni. A two course meal with wine is about 30 euro- serious cash back for the quality you get!

The rooms are ideal, not luxurious but tastefully decorated and practical, we were on ground floor and it was lovely, own terrace and as for the shower- it was excellent! Room includes fridge, tea/coffee making facilities (we came prepared and bought our own tea bags&coffee sachets from home because reviews warned that hotel is quite tight with this which is true, but if you come prepared then it's no biggie) , air con, small tv and a lot of storage for suitcases, clothes etc. so it's very spacious with king size bed. The walls are thin which at first we were aware of but we got used to it and it wasn't a big deal.

We hired a car for 6 days and a scooter for 1, which are highly recommended to explore the rest of this stunning island, we did so much but still managed to totally chill out.

We were worried that the weather might be bad due to the time of year but we only had 2 days of rain out of 10 and the rest were pleasantly warm, about 25'c. We were told the best time to visit Kephalonia is end of May, which we'll do next time.

Places to visit: Mirtos beach, Lixouri part of island, Argostoli, Poros, Sami, St Georges' Castle (and visit ''The Castle'' cafe next to the castle itself- to experience the BEST carrot cake known to man!!!) Monastery Agios Gerassioms, took a day trip to Ithaki...quite underwhelmed by Vathi but the rest was interesting (though not a lot there) and peaceful.

All in all it was a lovely holiday, probably not the place for hard core clubbers and those looking for a crazy time, it's very peaceful and uncomplicated which is what we fell in love withit, the locals are just wonderful, it's good to know kind hearted and generous people still exist. Hotel is recommened to those looking for relaxation and a break from the rat race, we'll be returning. Remember if you're nice to the staff they're nice to you.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank smittenkitten168
Kent
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Maybe if we had propped the bar up all night or dined at the boring restaurant (not much sign of Greek food) we would have felt more welcome. The hotel is well appointed, liked the small units and the layout. The rooms are small but comfortable but maybe a 4 star hotel could afford to refill the shampoo etc-10mils a week between 2 doesn't go far-equally the tea and coffee. The staff need to look as though they like tourists-at breakfast it was very gloomy-not a smile or good morning to be had. I would not recommend October-most tavernas are closed and the Cephalonians can't wait for the last tourist to go home.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PSBKent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skala
Apostolata Island Resort & Spa
Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel
Odyssey Hotel
Odyssey Hotel
#1 of 6 in Agia Efimia

Been to 9 Muses Hotel Skala Beach? Share your experiences!