“Great Week”
Review of Playa Blanca Hotel

Playa Blanca Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in S'illot
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Just had a fantastic relaxing week in Sa Coma staying at the Playa Blanca. For what we paid it was faultless.
All inclusive , food and drink was very good.
Ok the barmen is a grumpy sod but this was part of the entertainment. Lol
Dont forget to check out the little welsh bar, round the corner, excellent breakies and sunday lunch if you fancy a change.
Will definetly go back to Playa

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
5  Thank Graham W
Margrit D, In charge of marketing at Playa Blanca Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Graham W
Thanks for having chosen the Playa Blanca Hotel for your Mallorca holidays and especially for having written such a nice review to Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. Every single review helps other people make their choice and we are very grateful for it.
We are already now looking forward to having you again stay with us and wish you now a very nice summer!
The Playa Blanca and Beijuan Hoteles Team

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Hotel rooms are bit crowded with ertra chairs but comfortable,food okay but could be better and hotter.good pool area,not too far from the sea front ,on the bus root if you require a bus .we stayed a week but never received any clean towels but otherwise no complaints.the manager was very helpful when i had my purse stolen.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank justme123515
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Do not read previous reviews!!! We just came back from holiday (21.05-28.05 / 10 adulds + 2 childrens) The hotel is ** but for us it was like **** , rooms cleaned every day, food nice and always hot, staff so lovely and the big boss doesn't speak in english but he is very friendly and helpful. If you're going with nice people and you know how to have some fun you don't need better place like this ** hotel :) I just want to say again THANK YOU Playa Blanca Staff for everything! You make us holiday so nice!! Katarzyna & Dawid ♡♡♡

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank zamotka86
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I want to start by giving my honest opinion about this hotel, otherwise there is no point?

When we arrived at this hotel I did think OMG what have we done? Music on the terrace was blaring away with an awful Karaoke, but I thought, ok we've only just arrived, don't pass judgement just yet. When we got to the reception desk we were greeted by a very nice lady called Monica, who was very friendly and polite. She checked us in quite quickly and gave us the keys to our rooms.
I had booked this hotel on a B&B basis for 8 nights travelling with a friend of mine. The holiday was quite cheap, so I wasn't really expecting too much knowing it was only 2 star rated.

The Hotel:

This Hotel originates from the late 60's is part of the Bei Juan family chain and is one of 8 other hotels and apartments buildings in the same chain, run by the owner Juan Ballester & his 2 daughters.
Other hotels in the chain are:
Hotel Pinomar
Hotel Playamar
Hotel Bona Vista
Hotel Bei Juan
Apartments Playamar
Apartments Europa
Apartments Club Sa Coma

The hotel itself is very dated but still very presentable, there is mini golf in the grounds and a large swimming pool in front of the hotel which is very nice. To the rear of the hotel there is a large terrace that wasn't being used when we were there. Underneath the hotel there is a heated pool & solarium that is useable in the winter months. This is the only hotel in S'illot that us open all year round. The guest rooms are spread over 6 floors.
There is a large restaurant for guests, a lobby/reception area that has wi-fi and internet facilities. A large entertainment lounge with bar.

The Rooms:

When I opened the door to my room I was shocked? It was huge, with a enormous wrap around terrace, a lovely double bed and quirky wardrobes. You'll see from my photos why I was so shocked after reading all the horrible reviews about this hotel. The room was nicely decorated with a feature bed. The room was very clean and there were nice clean quilts on the bed with fresh clean bedding.
There was plenty of wardrobe space with lots of hangers and bedside cabinets. The ensuite bathroom was a little dated but clean and presentable. The shower was not that powerful and sometimes the water was only warm but I didn't mind that to much. There is fresh towels everyday and guest soaps. The bathroom also has a built in hairdryer which was quite powerful.

B&B Food:

I must say, I the food isn't the best I have eaten but then we didn't pay much for the holiday so I'm not complaining too much. I think the choice with food has to be yours as I know the resort can be a little expensive to eat out every night. If you are on a tight budget then it may be wise to go all inclusive, due to the fact the resort of S'illot and nearby Sa Coma is only open from March until April, so they seem to charge more for meals to make their money.

The Resort:

I cannot find fault with S'illot and nearby Sa Coma. S'illot has some amazing beaches and they are very clean. There is a lovely stretch of beach from where the boat trip kiosks are up as far as Sa Coma. There is a beautiful deep stretch of beach in the other direction over the footbridge, with some nice bars are restaurants. If you walk from S'illot through Sa Coma travelling in the direction of Cala Millor there is an unspoilt part of Mallorca that has been protected from development. There is a really nice walk through woodland to a lookout tower which is surrounded by beautiful wildlife and flora. The tower itself is quite small but is interesting and has some nice views. There is a cafe there for refreshments after your walk. You can continue walking to Cala Millor if you feel energetic, and again this is a lovely walk.
Walking in the other direction from S'illot to Porto Cristo you stumble across some very pretty hidden coves which is very popular with the locals. Cala Morlanda is a gem. A pretty little cove with small beach pockets to sunbathe and a beautiful aqua blue ocean perfect for swimming. You can carry on walking and find some hidden coves like we did, there was nobody around for miles.

Restaurants:

If you want to eat out there are a few places I can recommend

Cafeteria Happy in S'illot: (10min walk from Hotel Playa Blanca)
is a very nice covered terrace restaurant with traditional food and a menu that caters for everyone including children.

JJ's in Sa Coma: ( 15-20 min walk fro Hotel Playa Blanca)
Highly recommended. This restaurant and bar is run by Darran and Sean, and is a really nice British food family restaurant, serving breakfasts, homemade specials, amazing burgers! A must!

The Red Lion: (10-12 mins from Hotel Playa Blanca over the footbridge)
A small but nice beach restaurant serving everything from rib eye steaks, curry club dishes, fish and chips and a English tea in a mug!

Stay away from the Chinese restaurants in Sa Coma. They try to tempt you with 5 dishes for 4.50€ but then you end up having things added to your bill that they tell you are included in the price. Our bill for 2 people ended up being 57.00€. When you argue the fact, they make out they don't understand.

Well I hope this has been of some help if your thinking of staying at Hotel Playa Banca and in the resort of S'illot,

REMEMBER: You only get what you pay for!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
30  Thank Colin B
Reviewed 28 May 2014

stayed here last week and was thoroughly surprised! cheap week away, breakfast was fresh, same as lunch and dinner and plenty of options. the pool was clean and spacious and the view from our rooms was lovely. The foyer was clean and bright and the staff were friendly and polite. I think people do forget it is a 2 star and there are plenty of other hotels to go to if you wish. 5 minute walk away from shops and the beach and the local entertainment. The rooms are a little dated but who spends all day in the rooms on holiday?!

For the price we payed, we weren't disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank Laura G
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Took two grandkids here for ten days in April and I can honestly say it was the worst holiday ever.The first couple of mornings breakfast was ok but after that I didn't eat anything. Never had any lunch there and the evening meals were all chips with something We did go for lunch on the second week and the same potatoes from the previous day were there again, warmed up and they were grey when cut into. I paid all inclusive and all there was between meals was drinks. Crisp were either 1euro or 2 out of the machine. The crazy golf has not been touched for so long the rails are all lose and then they have the cheek to charge for playing on it. The bathroom looked clean when we got there but then there was a plasic cup behind the toilet which was still there when we left. Make sure you have enough money when you go because nothing is free only drinks. The pool was never cleaned in two weeks I was there and the indoor pool smells disgusting. others I ignored the bad comments and booked there. Bad choice. Won't be going again. There was Nothing for the kids onle the pool or the beach.

Room Tip: Rooms over the pool are noisy. I stayed in 211
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank lunchyCheshire
Reviewed 21 May 2014

On zero hours contract since September 2013, I eventually saved enough money for a much needed break from lorry driving. I was delighted to get 7 nights all-inclusive and flights and transfers, all for under £240.

I too read the reviews before going but made light of the situation after using the google earth yellow man to take a walk around the hotel and nearby places.

Yes the hotel and rooms are clean and cleaned regularly throughout the day. If you need new towels in your room, then leave the used ones in the bath. There are notices telling you to do this. The staff are helpful and want you to enjoy your stay. Whoever posted pictures of mouldy furniture and paint peeling walls must have taken these down in the basement where the sports room and jacuzzi are. Its very humid in this basement, so paint would peel and mould would have a field day. But this must not fool anyone into thinking that this is how the entire hotel is. Its actually ok. The outdoor pool is ok too. Those dark patches on the pool floor, as seen in other reviewers picture, are just the colours of the pool tiles. The pool is safe and clean and even has a lifeguard on duty for your safety.

Bike hire locally is around £4 for a day. You get a comfortable modern bike and you can use it from 9am until 8pm. S'illot and its neighbouring beaches are very enjoyable. You will not be dissappointed with your bargain holiday here.

As for the food in this hotel it has to be said that you do get value for money. Salads, meats, pasta, rices, vegetables, etc. You will find that the rande of dishes isn't what you would find in the four or five star places but you won't spend much eating out as there are lots of bars and coffee shops and eateries close by.

Go and enjoy yourselves. Ignore the critics. One tip from me is to take ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. I would go to S'illot again but now I have seen the other hotels I know which one to stay at next time for just a few bob more. Be happy with what you can afford.

Room Tip: This is an honest review from an individual traveller when comparing this hotel with the many hotels...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank V V
Also consider these accommodations in or near S'illot
Playa Moreia Apartments
#3 of 78 in Playa de Palma
Occidental Playa de Palma
Occidental Playa de Palma
#9 of 78 in Playa de Palma

Been to Playa Blanca Hotel? Share your experiences!