“Punches above its weight!”

Playa Moreia Apartments
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in S'illot
London, United Kingdom
“Punches above its weight!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our 7 night stay!
The ladies on reception are unfailingly friendly and helpful. Our room was on the 7th floor, with a wonderful view across the bay. It had a perfectly adequate kitchenette and bathroom and a large balcony. Although this room was not air conditioned we rented a decent fan, for a €5 a day fee - this made night times perfectly pleasant. We ended most evenings with wine on the balcony, however the night entertainment at the local hotels does go on fairly noisily until 11:30pm but never any later.
You can't expect 5* but for the price of the hotel it is extraordinary value especially with the beach so close. We spent everyday lazing in the sunshine and sun beds were always available regardless of the time we got to the beach. S'Illot is a very pleasant town without the usual plethora of Red Lion pubs that seem to populate so many Mallorcan towns.
I have been to Mallorca several times and the food in S'Illot is the best I have experienced. The sea food paella at Onkel Willy was a high light.
The nearby supermarkets are more than adequate but we did do a decent shop at the Eroski hypermarket which is very good value indeed.
All in all a lovely holiday at a very good price.

Room Tip: Top floor!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roogie1378

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

My boyfriend and I have just got back from a 7 night stay at this fantastic hotel in S'illot. Upon arrival the reception was welcoming, bright and very clean, we were also greeted by friendly staff who quickly gave us our room card and wished us a great stay. Our room was fabulous, it was situated on the 5th floor at the very right end of the hotel with an amazing sea view and a balcony which extended around the side of the hotel which was excellent for a breeze whenever you needed to cool off. The room was extremely clean (especially the bathroom) and we were given a welcome pack with bits of food, snacks and washing up liquid/sponge, if you wished to purchase these you had to fill in a little tick list and return any unwanted items to the reception. We also opted for the use of the safe which was 25 euros for the week, however it made us feel at ease when going to the beach as we could leave all valuables in there without a worry.

The room was bright with a good size kitchenette for those who choose to self cater like we did (there is a spar right opposite for all your food) and a very good range of storage space for all belongings. However like others have mentioned it became very hot in there at certain times of the day and so perhaps air conditioning in all rooms should be a priority as the fan did not make a great deal of a difference. The balcony view was stunning with views of the beach/sea, restaurants, kids fairground, the hotel terrace and other hotels in the distance.

The beach at S'illot is gorgeous and lots of places to go snorkelling if you like swimming with the fish (a great experience). Also, you can hire the sun beds and straw parasols for €12 for the day or just the parasol for €4. However you can ask at the hotel reception to borrow a parasol for your whole stay for free which was very useful!
It is a very short walk to Sa Coma as you head over the bridge which has a great beach (lots of water sport activities). We decided to go Parasailing which cost us €70 for both of us and it was a great experience which I shall never forget. The views of the island were breathtaking and being dipped slightly in the water was exciting!

Outside of the hotel towards the right at the end of the road is a bus stop (you can ask for a bus timetable at reception) which has red and yellow buses running every 10 mins and a man standing there to guide you in the right direction if unsure. We used the bus to get to Porto Cristo which is €1.85 each one way and only about a 20 minute journey. Whilst at Porto Cristo we visited the Caves of Drach which were amazing! It cost €14.50 for an adult which was good considering you got a whole tour around the caves, watched a concert including an orchestra on rowing boats on the lake inside and at the end you can go on the rowing boats around a small part of the cave which was really nice.

We also had a ride on the glass bottom boat where you can purchase tickets near the beach at Sa Coma which was super, we used this to travel to Cala Millor and Cala Bona. Whilst in Cala Millor there was a big market with loads of stalls for gifts/clothing etc. Get ready to barter!
We hired bikes for an hour for €3 each and then electric scooters for €10 for half an hour which we thought was fab and used these to go up to Cala Bona which is only about 10 minutes way. In Cala Bona there is a stunning outside bar which is worth a visit with big sofas made up of wooden pallets and large cushions, the views were amazing and so chilling with nice cocktails :)

Back in S'illot there is a lot of fantastic restaurants to eat out at with entertainment (Babibo was nice) and loads of cocktails bars. 57 Pub was a great place to chill out with a cocktail and they even had connect 4 on the tables outside to play with which was a nice touch! However our favourite bar was called The Beach Bar, a really cool vibe inside with bicycles on the walls and the staff were extremely friendly and funny too. They told us that they also offer a late night chance to go paddle boarding which lights up the sea beneath you! If you do go there, order a Fres-ita cocktail- absolutely delicious!

Overall, this holiday was perfect in every way, the hotel was situated in the right place for everything making it easy to buy food, gifts, travel to places nearby, or even just chilling out at the beach. The pool was also very clean and warm and still plenty of chairs left when we headed down there at 9am!
I would definitely recommend this place to anyone, especially families and couples as the hotel staff are very welcoming and always ready to help in any way possible. A big thank you to Henrietta the owner! You have made my year :) I hope to come back soon!

Room Tip: - Sea view balcony definitely! - If you can, get a room up high at the end of the hotel as the balc...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Creedypop
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed with my Mum (I'm 32, she's 62) last month. We both wanted a QUIET getaway. The room we were allocated was number 71...I nearly went home!! It was at the front of the hotel right on top of the stage and the entertainment area, you couldn't have sat on the balcony and had any privacy or peace and quiet!! It was our idea of hell so I asked to move, we were given room 723 (top floor)-a totally different kettle of fish. It was peaceful and relaxing. Room was cleaned 3 times in 7 days and the hotel was well kept.

We didn't go to the swimming pool but used S'Illot and Sa Coma beach every day. We did think it was ridiculous that the air conditioning was quite expensive and that the hotel were charging for wifi...don't bother as nearly every restaurant has free wifi which you can use even if you sit on the wall near the restaurant! We were paying 80p for a glass of wine and £1.20 for a pint.

Loved the area, super chheeeappp and everything was so easy. Poro Cristo and the Cuevas del Drach are a must. Get on the local bus and the open top to explore. DO NOT do any of the excursions that the hotel give you a leaflet on when you check in, the caves were priced at around £37 each, we went on the bus and bought tickets when we got there-ended up costing us £15 each!!

We didn't have enough time to eat in every restaurant and do everything we wanted but I will definitely go back! Next time, I would stipulate to have a room at the back of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lec1
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I am currently staying at this hotel and we have been allocated the room from hell. My children and wife are crying and the hotel staff keep telling us it ispossible to reallocate us or even help us. I am writing this review at 4am on day 2 with around 2 hours sleep after two days. The room is stifling hot with very poor airconditioning we are situated on a ground floor roof at the back of the hotel with a pilon and, aircon units and a bush for company. This is the worst room i have ever stayed in. We will again look for another room allocation when reception opens in a few hours time..... horrendous, horrendous, horrendous.... i believe prisoners would have better accomodation than this room.

• Stayed August 2014
17 Thank Rob D
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Negatives out the way first.

4 day break and saw the cleaner once. I was in the room at the time, she came in, swept (partially) sprayed the bathroom, emptied the bin and left. Was a pretty poor attempt by all accounts.
Hard to get a sunbed at the pool, but it is high season and is difficult at most resorts I imagine.
Never ate here so can't comment on food.

Positives

Pool was great if you have kids, as lots of other kids playing in there.
Our room had air con which was a must in august.
We had a ceiling fan but was originally broken. A quick call down to reception and we had a prompt knock on the door and the handyman fixed it immediately.
Location was fantastic. Situated in the centre and looking at the beach.

Overall a good holiday for the price

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Mrshaile
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I recently stayed here just to get away for a couple of days and found this hotel to be a reasonable price with good reviews. Firstly, the location of the hotel is pretty good. S'illot is about an hour or so bus transfer from Palma airport and there are plenty of buses running throughout the day (I found the best way was to book through resorthoppa.com).

Arriving at the hotel, the outside has very little character and does look a little hectic (its a very large symmetrical building that looks a bit like a block of flats), however when you enter reception it does give a good impression. The reception area is bright and airy and the staff are extremely helpful and friendly. We were quickly checked in and given our room number. There are lifts in the hotel which is very handy considering there are about 7 or 8 floors. As we enter our room though, I must say we were a little disappointed. The layout of the room means the entrance/ kitchen area is extremely dark and a little miserable. The rooms on the other hand were brighter and a little more pleasant. The entire room was exceptionally clean and the large balcony had a lovely view of the ocean. The room is a little dated and could do with a revamp but I would say hands down the worst thing about this hotel is the lack of air-conditioning. The rooms were uncomfortably hot and with only a small fan (that made very little difference to the temperature of the room) it was not pleasant being inside, even with the balcony doors open. I would definitely say the hotel rooms could do with updating and I think air- conditioning is a must!!

After settling in we headed for the beach. The beach here is actually very nice, the sea is very clear, the beach extremely clean and you can rent pedalo's which is nice for family's with children. It's also good to point out that the beach is lifeguarded most of the time. As you enter the sea it does become a little stoney but that soon goes away as you go a little further out. There is also a shop located next to the beach which is great to buy snacks and the odd drink! It's worth pointing out that if you walk all the way through the town (it takes about 15 minutes), there is a second beach. This is even nicer than the beach outside the hotel and very fine sand with no rocks or stones. It's worth the walk for the added beach quality and there is also some water sports here (ie banana boat, para-sailing etc).

At night the entertainment at the hotel is very good. It looks like there is a great kids club that runs every night and the staff are very child focused. At heart the hotel is based around families and it really does cater for them. The first night we were there they had a Beatles tribute act that were actually surprisingly very good. If you want to get away from the hotel at night though there is still plenty to do. The restaurants nearby are very good (Paella is a must)
and there are also a few decent bars and clubs. For families there is a small amusement park located on the beach front which has a lot of entertainment.

I did also book this hotel on a bed & breakfast basis. The breakfast was a little basic but adequate. The food was nice but by the end of the morning it looked like it had sat out for a while. Breakfast runs from 7am-10am, which I found to be too early, 8am-11am would be much better in my opinion. Because of this I often found myself arriving at the last minute and at 10am the staff (rather abruptly) told us to leave. I found this to be a little rude considering I had paid for the breakfast and had not finished eating when they threw us out. However for the extra few pound it cost, it is quite handy not to have to make your own breakfast.

In conclusion, the hotels location is very good. It's great for families and has the entertainment to cater for them. The beaches nearby are of good quality and there are plenty of shops, restaurants, bars and clubs to keep you entertained. The downside of the hotel is that it is quite dated and doesn't have air- conditioning. This is something I think the hotel need to rectify if they want to remain competitive. Another downfall that I experienced when staying there, was that in 3 days my room was never cleaned. I like to have fresh towels and bed linen daily, so found this a little disappointing. On the other hand, a nice touch is that each of the rooms does have a small kitchen area with a fridge, microwave, hobs and utensils. This would be fantastic for families or anyone on a budget as you can cook at the hotel rather than eat out.

Would I stay here again? Well probably not. Don't get me wrong, if I was coming as a family I would definitely consider it and would recommend it to other families, but with friends or as a couple there are some very nice adult only hotels nearby which would cater better. I think the hotel has great potential, it's just way overdue for a revamp!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for an ocean facing room. The other side of the hotel is basically a dumping yard by...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matt H
Northumberland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Have just come back from a week's holiday with my mum & my son. Apartments are in an excellent location, right next to the beach. They are good value for money. We didn't eat in the hotel as we were room only, but there were loads of places close by to eat. We particular liked Onkle Willy and 4 Fogons. Both of these did Mallorcan food and also 'English' choices. So something for everyone. There is a small Spar supermarket directly opposite where you can get fresh fruit and pastries daily for breakfast. The beach was lovely, sandy with the sea being shallow and safe for kids. We easily got sun beds and umbrella right by the sea. We went in the hotel pool only once as it was quite busy and also very hot. They could do with more umbrellas by the pool and they could also do with enforcing the 'no reserving sunbeds' rule. On the day we left we saw a girl putting towels on the sunbeds at 6.30 am! The apartments were basic but clean. They were cleaned 3 times during our week there. Our apartment had air conditioning ( but I don't think they all did), we didn't pay extra for this, the ceiling fans were sufficient. The apartments weren't particularly noisy, we were at the back, with the view if the mountains. On the first night there was very loud noise from another hotel, but this was finished by 11pm. We enjoyed our week there, mainly because of the location. The apartments were fine and I would go back there.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank spinalonga_siren
Also consider these accommodations in or near S'illot
Universal Hotel Perla
#12 of 46 in Cala d'Or
Hipotels Mediterraneo
Hipotels Mediterraneo
#4 of 29 in Sa Coma

Been to Playa Moreia Apartments? Share your experiences!