“Excellent 3* hotel”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Baqueira
St Helier, United Kingdom
“Excellent 3* hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is a 3* hotel with most of the the attributes of a 4 * establishment. Quality of service, large guest lounges and an excellent restaurant make for a very pleasant stay. The rooms are comfortable and the newly refitted bathrooms superb. Proximity to the modern ski lift system is an added bonus. Overall, this hotel offers exceptional value for money. I will return.

Room Tip: The rooms looking down the valley have extensive views whereas those facing the mountain are sent fr...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Braga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed at Tuc Blanc as part of my annual ski trip to...well...somewhere (I never go to the same place twice). This year I chose Baqueira because I had heard lots of good things about this ski resort.
We'll get there, first the hotel.
Tuc Blanc is conveniently located across the road from the main gondola. So, take your skis from the locker, a few steps and you're there. Nice.
The hotel has good rooms (I stayed in a single room). Spotlessly clean. Big bathtub to soak in at the end of the day, Great.
Food. Great buffet breakfast in the morning with an egg station and lots of choices. You even have unsual (at least for hotels of this standard) freshly squeezed 100% orange juice. Brilliant.
Dinner. You have buffet during the week and "a la carte" at the weekends. Nice choice and quality.
The hotel has its own ski/snowboard rent store. If you have any problem with your skis (as was my case), you can leave them at the end of the day and they'ill fix it overnight.
Minor faults: no internet in your room. That sucks but I think one can survive :-)

So, what else can I say about this hotel? Well, this: just go.

As for Baqueira, it's a small resort by Alps standards (about 120 km), but it has reliable snow, good chalenging reds and a good family and relaxed atmosphere. But, please be advised it can get pretty busing during school holidays (but I guess it's the same everywhere). Move up and the crowds (kind of) disappear.
I guess the snow should suffer late in the season, specially at lower altitudes (we had +7ºC at one of the top lifts, in February!!!)

The only thing that they urgently need to work on are the Mountain restaurants. Disgusting fast-food, and only one good Restaurant (5J) for which you need to book in advance.
The barcode forfait system is, at the same time, laughable and strangely heartwarming "Hola, como está", "Have a nice ski day". It's a change form the faceless magstripe cards.

So, if you're in for a 4 to 5 days ski holidays, do not want to spend much, this is the place to go.
You'll have a great time.
And Tuc Blanc is a obvious, "good for the wallet" and easy choice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank DecoBraga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

We spent 5 days last February in Tuc Blanc and were very satisfied. The staff is very nice and efficient. We stayed in a Duplex room, which is ideal for a family with one or two children. Breakfast is very diversified, with options for all tastes. I did not love the dinner option though. I would recommend, if possible, to only have the breakfast included in the package and have dinner in the several very nice restaurants in Baqueira and on the other close villages, like Vielha for example.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Andrea S
Tokyo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

Great location if you are there to ski as the lifts are directly across the street. Location is the best the hotel has to offer. Had an unpleasant check-in by the front desk person (Kiko) who failed to advise us that parking was assigned and ended up getting blocked in to a spot assigned to someone else. Kiko was argumentative and very unhelpful in trying to resolve the problem and prevented us from using our car for several hours until the car blocking us was moved.
Rooms were very basic and quite worn and tired. Did not eat in the main restaurant, however had the breakfast buffet which was mediocre at best. Food options were pretty basic and not real fresh.
In summary I would recommend checking other hotels. There is a large parking lot close to the resort and good (free) public transportation which can be used, so while the the hotel is close to the resort the overall experience is not worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

The hotel is not luxury but it is extremely good placed, walking distance to the ski teleski. Most important staff is very friendly and helpful, food is very very good, tasteful and abundant, breakfast buffet also perfect. It has a jacuzzi and a small pool which I hadn't had time to try..Wireless internet access for free at lobby, bar and common areas,

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank FIR54
Gaillac, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed here for one night at the end of a family skiing trip. It is a fairly basic hotel, but the staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms were comfortable if a bit small. We were staying on a half board basis and were dismayed to find that the dining room didn't open til 8pm which is late for small children, and then everybody arrived at once and the service was a bit slow. We couldn't use our half board allowance in the cafeteria which seemed a bit unreasonable.
There was a good swimming pool and on the whole we were satisfied.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank wriggle2
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

We stopped off here to eat. It has a sign outside Buffet Libre (As much as you can eat). Adult cost 17.12 and child cost 12.84. Drinks to paid for separately Not great value for a standard meal but good for an all you can eat.
The resturant is down some stairs where your are met by a non smiling woman with an arrogant attitude. She guided us to a table in a corner of the room where everybody else was sitting. I wanted to sit at a different table to give us some space. It doesn't make sense to bunch up if there is plenty of room. We moved just one table away as the table we were guided to had a big pool of liquid under one of the chairs.
There was a starters/dinner area and a desert area.
The dinner area had a cold section which consisted of salad style food. Unfortunately there were swarms of flies all over the cold food so we skipped that. The hot food consisted of catalan sauages, fried chicken, pork chops(I think), squid rings and bolied pasta with no sauce. The pasta sauce was in a bowl beside the pasta. Unfortunately it tasted like and had the consistancy of tomatoe ketchup. A little further up was paella and further was chips. I decided on the paella. Unfortunately when I got to the paella I saw it was mainly rice and those red and white minced fish sticks with a few muscles. I couldn't see any prawns or any of the other stuff that makes paella edible. It seemed to me that the paella was made as cheaply as possible. So I skipped this and went back for the squid rings. After, I went for the chips but there were only about 5 left the rest were on the floor and around the surface top. I waited patiently for more to arrive. Eventually a waiter came and scooped up all the chips that were lying around on top of the surface area and popped them back in the chips contaner. My appetite disappeared.
We ordered three cokes and a bottle of water from a waitress who stood next to us with a male collegue who instructed here on what forms to fill in. All the while neither acknowledged us. Eventually the waitress said "Para beber" ("To Drink") with a frown.

Anyway we had a few deserts which weren't bad if you could keep the flies off.

Total cost for 2 adults and 2 kids was 68.52. Considering most other meals in the area cost less than 35 Euros this was expensive. Considering we paid for some desert, some drinks and very bad service this was outrageous. Don't make the same mistake as us.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family