“Were we at the right restaurant?”

Restaurante S'Ametller
Ranked #3 of 527 Restaurants in Ibiza Town
Price range: US$28 - US$51
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We visited S'ametiler based on trip advisor reviews and a personal recommendation from an islander, and can't believe that it was the same restaurant that has received all these glowing recommendations.
We can only think that there was a less experienced chef/there were staffing issues on the night we visited.

We enjoy a wide range of 'good' food from street food to Michelin starred restaurants and always seek out recommended restaurants when on holiday and are generally not disappointed. This is unfortunately the first time I have felt strongly enough to post a review.

When we arrived there was a table of 10 already seated and we were the next table seated.
The menu is an interesting formula with a choice of three courses, water, a glass of wine and bread included for 24 Eur. The Spanish menu is well explained by the chatty owner.

However, it took 70 minutes for my starter to arrive and 75 minutes for my husband's, in a small restaurant - the number of eaters was probably 18 at its busiest (We did have an Amuse Bouche during this wait). The choice of starters were essentially three salads or 'scrambled eggs'. When our salad and eggs finally arrived they were uninspiring and ordinary and I can't imagine what took 70/75 minutes to get them to the table. I like the concept of 'slow food' if it is worth waiting for.
Our main courses arrived about 30/40 minutes later. I have to say, my black rice risotto was good. The other dish - duck was tasty, but the look of the fruit sauce accompanying it defied polite description - (it was a gloopy red mass), it tasted OK - but it certainly wasn't exceptional.
I left most of my pudding, which my husband would testify rarely happens.

All in all it just seemed chaotic. We noticed that the table of 10 also had long waits for all the meals at each course to arrive and some of the party members could well have finished their food before others were served. The waitress seemed incapable of carrying more than one and at most two plates at a time and dirty glasses and empty bottles were left out on the side in full view of diners, rather than taken back to the bar area and dealt with properly. Children, presumably of employees/owner walked through the restaurant with take away food.

Essentially we were just really surprised and disappointed with our poor experience and hope that it was an indeed untypical, but I am afraid that we will not be testing this out.

3  Thank Susan A

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I came here with my 11 year old daughter when the rest of the family were busy. The restaurant is off the tourist track and is very simply decorated. The owner is totally lovely and obviously takes such pride in his restaurant, rightly so. The menu was perfect and he translated it for us very helpfully. The olive dip was out of this world. The blue cheese salad was perfect. The pork could not be improved. I have eaten in several Michelin star restaurants and this meal would have been happily accepted in any of them. We enjoyed our whole experience so much I think we will always remember it. It was such good value and so charming.

3  Thank thelondonsmiths
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Went here on the back of all the amazing reviews provided by others.
We walked in on a tues night at 930 and there were no tables available. We booked for thurs night with no problems (I think most could get a table booking earlier on the day you want to go) - but u need to book.
We decided against the set menu option with matching wines and went a la carte. Either way it works
out the same cost wise as all bottles of wine are 18 euros.
The food varies based on what is available (seasonal) which to me is the sign of a good restaurant.
The starters were lovely (salads with fruit- different but tasty) and for main we had duck confit with the best cherry reduction I have ever tasted.
The meal was finished off with on the house Ibizan liqueurs/apperativ.
Front of house was amazing- passionate, keen to explain the menu in full and in English and answer any questions.
All of this plus coffee (we had three courses plus bottle of wine) came to €64.
It's worth mentioning that in playa den Bossa, chicken, chips and salad with bottle of wine would only cost u €10-€20 less....so amazing value.
The only negative would be that it took 3 hours - so don't be in a rush and savour the experience. We booked for 9pm- there was a big group that arrived at 1030pm. They only take one booking per table per night!
A must visit for foodies- you'd be mad not too.

1  Thank ED77
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Because of the countless good reviews we decided to try this place. The menu was in spanish only but the manager translated it for us. They might provide menues in other languages in main season? The menue is quiet small (about 20 dishes in total!?) but I guess everybody will find something he / she likes. To keep it simple we chose a four course menu including corresponding wines to every dish. The food was very good and served quickly on hot plates. Also the wine was very good (for this price range). We were served by the owner who is a very nice and friendly Guy. Only the restaurant itself could be more cosy, to be honest.
Once, we ordered the bill, I did not trust my eyes. Each person we had to pay € 36,00 in total. Each we had an aperitiv, amuse-bouche, four courses, a glass of wine for each course and finally a coffee. I can not remember to have payed such a small amount for a dinner of this quality and quantity within the last 15 years. It even was a little unpleasant for me. So I added a very good tip.

1  Thank TheMrBruno
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We booked here based on tripadvisor reviews, and we were blown away. We were greeted by Juan who could not do enough to please us. He talked us through the menu options and we opted for the €36 tasting menu, Especially as we were able to switch any dishes from the set menu from the other ala carte version. Delicious blue cheese salad, followed by Devine sea bass , then pork Wellington and Apple crumble to finish. Accompanied by 3 different glasses of wine. And not just house wine, well thought through choices of quality wine. The meal took 3.5 hours so make sure you have the time to enjoy the relaxed welcoming atmosphere. Fantastic all round! Our only advice to Juan was to upgrade his website, so more people can book.....we booked through a Facebook message!