“Superb return visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Ibiza Town
UK
“Superb return visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

I return to this hotel year after year. what i like is the lack of fuss and stuffiness. If i need anything i just have to ask and the staff (who are now like friends) always deliver.I met Ainara - new head of reception - for the first time this year and she is absolutely great - very funny but efficient and Sem brilliant and charming as always. These guys are not 'in your face' types, they may appear reserved but they are GOOD at what they do. Several well known and famous people return to the hotel year after year - and it is the discretion of the staff and lack of fuss and stuffiness which they value the most. I felt that the hotel this year was ready for redecoration and up - dating. I have been informed, on good authority, that come October the place is being totally gutted and transformed. Looks like the old place is going to be even more special.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank rockstaruk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Our recent holiday in Ibiza was meant to be a special one... but this was spoilt somewhat by the choice of hotel.

I pride myself on being able to find great hotels and often research thoroughly but this was the worst mistake I have made.

In 30 years of travelling this was probably the most disappointing hotel I have ever stayed in.

It is an expensive hotel so of course there was an expectation of some degree of luxury and also service. Apart from the Bose i-pod deck in the room there was minimal luxury and absolutely no service whatsoever.

First of all, the location of the hotel is a nightmare if you want a relaxing holiday. Very few, if any, of the taxis will bring you this far up in the old town. We had to walk quite often and it is a very strenuous walk in the Ibiza heat. The hotel's own vehicle had broken down and to compensate they had offered us a trip to the beach or a taxi to the airport. This never materialised. In fact, there was such confusion around ordering a taxi to the airport back to the airport that I had to walk with all my cases into the town as the taxi never turned up. I nearly missed my flight. I have since written to the hotel to ask them for an explanation and to express my disappointment and they haven't even bothered writing back to me.

This lack of service is typical of this hotel throughout.
- No help with cases on arrival
- Only one person ever present, often trying to do the breakfasts and reception at the same time
- A very poor breakfast of a couple of bread rolls and a doughnut: outrageous given the price of the room - if you want fruit or eggs you have to pay €10 or more extra
- Little service at breakfast
- No wifi in the rooms despite the website saying they have it
- No bar service to the terrace
- No response at reception when calling down

All in all, this is the most disappointing hotel experience I have had and would certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone.

I have written to the hotel and they had promised me a response from the owners but so far I have received nothing (over 2 weeks later). I even offered them some advice on how to improve the hotel as I work for a leading international tourist board but given the attitude of the hotel and the lack of attention to the customer I cannot see them implementing these very necessary changes.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank baby_boy_11
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

Most TripAdvisor reviews do not reveal several important points about this hotel. First, and most importantly, this hotel is quite remote and inaccessible. Unlike all other Ibiza hotels,it is hundreds of meters up steep,dark and narrow cobblestone streets (really alleys) above the main Dalt Villa area (where the Hotel Mirador and restaurants are located). In transferring from another Ibiza hotel , it took us two hours to get a taxi ( four separate taxis refused to go to this hotel) and the one taxi that took us left us 150 meters below the hotel (you need to travel very light to stay at this hotel). The hotel supposedly has a van but it is often not available and the operator is quiet rude and difficult. At night (Ibiza is a very late night place), the last several hundred meters up to the hotel are dark and deserted, and one should expect to meet occasional prostitutes and undesireables. This is a very small hotel and run by amateurs. Generally one person is on call most of the time, but the front door is often locked at night and getting in can be an adventure. The hotel also refused to honor our Venere reservation, demanding three hundred euros (one hundred euros per night) more than the Venere booking. Service is not good. On arrival at 9:30 at night ( we had visited earlier in the day to seek assistance in getting a taxi and were refused), the beds were not made and there was not enough towels, and upon returning at 1:30 am , the beds were still not made ( we had to wake the night attendant to find bedding). The staff is typically unhelpful and generally has poor English language capacity. We have stayed at many small hotels throughout Europe, in London , Paris (de Buci), St. Remy (Chateau des Alpilles), Florence, Avignon, Aix, Cannes , Capri (La Flora), Venice, Roma, Sorrento, Santa Margarita, Barcelona etc. , and for its price, this hotel ( which is quite high) was the worst.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank dogsandantiques
eindhoven
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

We had the suite with the bath outside on the terrace. Very very nice to stay there. Our nights were long, so during the day it was very comfortable to relax there. Also very very nice people of the hotel, really great staff!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stefaniEindhoven
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

I stayed with my two teenage daughters. On arrival - despite being 2.00 in the morning! - the staff were welcoming and helpful. The room we had booked we knew had no view but was beautifully presented with a very large modern bathroom. The views from the hotel are stunning and we took breakfast each morning on the upstairs terrace - also perfect for an end of day sundowner! All the staff are lovely. They all speak good English and are happy to make restaurant reservations for you. They happily provide transport for you which is the same cost as the local taxi firms. They are very well situated for Ibiza Town but the walk up the hill is a workout!! To sum up I would describe the hotel as friendly, relaxed and efficient. Would not hesitate in rebooking this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

Situtated at the highest point in the town not for the fainthearted or less able-bodied. This glorious boutique hotel is a hidden gem (one that the concierge will drive you to from the airport if you book as most taxis wouldnt attempt the climb).
The hotel is only 15-20mins from the airport.
This hotel is very traditional in style with contemporary attention to detail.
I would highly recommend this place for couples who want something alittle more exclusive.
The service from the whole team is exceptionally efficient and friendly, they are very knowledgeable and speak english well.
The roof top terrace is a lesser known secret which only took a nosey brit to find :-)
You can take breakfast overlooking the harbour to start the day, but be advised you will need sensible footwear to get around as the cobbled streets are very steep and narrow.
Within walking distance there are many fabulous restaurants and boutique shops as well as being very close to the harbour.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank sunshinegibbons
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2009

We booked this hotel for a week over the New Year period so we could see in 2009 in style, and we were not disappointed. Everything about this place was first class. We booked the hotel's airport transfer service (€18) so we were picked up and whisked up to Dalt Vila in about 15mins flat. The hotel sits almost next to the Cathedral at the top of Ibiza's Old Town and the views over the harbour are breathtaking. From the outside it looks unassuming, but don't be fooled: inside it is remarkable. The reception area is candlelit at night and very beautiful. Our room (Tipo 4) was huge and had a delicious four-poster bed, a TV and DVD facility, a whirlpool bath and well-stocked bathroom, personal robes and slippers, a mini-bar -- and there was even a complimentary double CD of mixed chillout Ibiza vibes! Nothing was too much trouble for the staff: my girlfriend likes tea and they would prepare a teapot with hot water, chocolate and biscuits whenever we asked. There was 24-hour internet available in the breafast/bar area. The breakfast was served from 8am until 2pm (!!) so we were not restricted to early starts: clubbers take note! The standard continental breakfast was just fine, and you can get a royale (with museli, yogurt, fruit etc.) and other upgrades for a mere €5.

The helpfulness of the staff could not be faulted. They were available 24 hours a day, could recommend local restaurants and book them for you, and answered all of our questions with friendliness and charm. When we told them that we wanted to go to Pacha for new year's eve they made out a complimentary pass which got us into the club for free, saving us €80 (they do this in the summer too, I learned): again, clubbers take note! Nothing was too much trouble -- in fact, I can't think of a single thing to fault about this hotel (and I can be a fussy traveller too!).

Because the hotel is at the top of the OId Town, it is a steep climb to get to it from the harbour, but it only takes 10 mins and the views (day or night) are worth it. If you don't mind walking and are relatively fit then you won't find it a problem (although take your heels off on the climb!). I actually liked the exercise and it made me feel as if I was walking off the midnight glass of sangria!

I'd go back to this hotel without hesitation. There are only 14 rooms so it never feels busy, and you get undoubted with luxury and the personal touch. It's the not the cheapest hotel in the world but it is worth every cent. We had the most memorable new year ever and were genuinely gutted to leave. Treat yourself!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank DrMacca
#1 of 50 in Ibiza Town
ME Ibiza
ME Ibiza
#5 of 55 in Santa Eulalia del Rio

Been to La Torre del Canonigo? Share your experiences!