“Crappy Stay, Lobby-Only WiFi but Close to Beach” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hoteles Apartamentos Lux Mar

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hoteles Apartamentos Lux Mar
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Ibiza Town
Washington, DC
“Crappy Stay, Lobby-Only WiFi but Close to Beach”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Location was a short walk from old town (Dalt Vila/High Town) and the beach. Cost was 25-28€ for a taxi from the airport (2 people). The apt style rooms have a microwave, stove and small fridge if you wish to use them. The refrigerator had a spoiled odor. Decor and furniture were very dated but functional. Towels were supplied, but no washcloths. Although there is a pool in the courtyard (and pool table), the hotel does not supply pool towels, so we had to buy our own, but we used them at the beach as well. On the bright side, there was an iron and ironing board in the room. The room is a long walk from the lobby, and never really appeared clean.

We were able to buy club tickets at the front desk of the hotel. Also, the hotel is located on a strip with small restaurants and beach stores.

IMPORTANT: WiFi at Lux Mar is only free in the lobby area, so the lobby is always full of people using it, and the speed is devastatingly slow, like dial-up. You can purchase WiFi in your room, but I couldn't get a signal in the room, so I was issued a refund without question. I wondered if it happened often.

Side note: once I arrived, I turned on the A/C unit in my room. An hour later (3 am), I headed to bed and realized the A/C unit's condensation had dripped on my bed and it was soaked. Reception came to my room immediately and switched us to another.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, stay at another hotel.
3 Thank insanaq
MARIA ANTONIA P, Gerente at Hoteles Apartamentos Lux Mar, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear insanaq,

ON the behalf of all stuff we really thank you for choosing our apartments as your holiday destination in Ibiza. We appreciate your time taken to write your comments that help us to keep working hard.

However we deeply regret the inconvenience caused to you during your stay and we really would like to apologize for that.

We would like to let you know that we will take your opinions into account and we try to do our best to avoid that kind of situations.

Once again let us to apologize and hopefully we could see you soon at any of our establishments.

Kindest regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,577 helpful votes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

The booking process is horrendous when direct and always more expensive (way overpriced compared to the quality, instead pay a little more and stay at Hotel Los Molinos, same street, 40 yards away, it's a proper hotel, 4-stars, amazing views and facilities with very nice staff) than comparison sites such as expedia, triavago, etc. So if you really have to stay there check every other site first then call them and ask them to match the best price you've seen.
Tried to change a booking done on booking.com and tried to talk to someone in charge directly at the hotel. I was told to contact their telephone booking number (grupoplayasol.com). There no one seems to have a brain except for reciting their rule book (if you're hoping to find a commercially minded individual that will seize the opportunity to put a smile on a potential prospective client - you- then look somewhere else because it isn't happening!).
Trying to be creative I managed to trace through Linkedin the director in charge of this particular hotel within grupoplayasol. Initially, she wrote please forgive us for any inconvenience and let us know how we can help. My question was simple, I just wanted to add one night too our stay so we don't have to change hotels after the second night, could you please arrange for the same tariff as the other 2 nights. Problem is we had called the telephone bookings line about this and magically the rates spiked enormously the next morning. The "director" explained that she couldn't help at all and to top it all said she would disconnect herself from Linkedin so that people do not invade her privacy (???). I know what most of you are thinking, Being on Linkedin representing your firm and advertising your role as a director for this form is not exactly synonymous with wanting privacy in the exercise of your duties and function.... so I will leave you to draw your own conclusions...
Anyway, so now, I am being quoted 50% more for a 3rd night (vs the first 2), I am being ostracised as a potential Linkedin stalker (I thought you'd only find those on Facebook) and no other choice but to choose a room in nearby Hotel Los Molinos, just because I would rather give my money to people that make your holiday experience a pleasurable one.
So, aside from the fact that our plane was 2h30mns delayed - cheers BA - and arrived at Lux Mar at 4am, we are greeted by the sign Wi-Fi is not working. Fine, these things happen... We're told it should work the next day by the receptionist. We get to the room and after neutralising a couple of silverfish insects crawling out of the furniture (these disgusting things that usually live in dirty bathrooms), we proceed to play let's find the tv remote (needless to say we lost). So off we go and then on departure the next day I happen to have forgotten some clothes in the cupboard.
Having checked out in neighbouring Los Molinos, I return to Lux Mar at around 10pm and ask a Lux Mar receptionist if they had retrieved any items from the room I stayed in. He replied straight away, come back tomorrow as i cannot help you with this today, the cleaning lady is gone for the day (and obviously, no one else has access to the place where she keeps items, no one knows her phone - as she probably still uses the spanish post every time she wants to communicate with others- etc.). Clearly this chap is not willing to raise even his little finger to find a solution and seems more occupied in watching his little tv behind his desk. I told him I was leaving overnight and needed help now. No can do. Upon returning home, I called them and the only way I could retrieve my clothes was for me to arrange pre-pack courriers (200 gbp) which makes it nonsensical economically. They simply won't arrange to send it by normal post themselves. Refused categorically.
I have travelled a fair amount and stayed in very forgettable hotels, this one goes beyond that level where I think it is my duty to inform others to avoid it at all costs. Just don't stay there and give your money to another company.

Room Tip: Best tip I can give is to pay a bit more and stay opposite at the Hotel Los Molinos, the difference...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank genevatopreviewer
MARIA ANTONIA P, Gerente at Hoteles Apartamentos Lux Mar, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Dear Mr. BigPhilPDS,

First of all thank you for choosing our apartments to spend your holidays.
We deeply regret you were not satisfied and obviously we would like to clarify certain things which we consider important to declare.

As we are a big company of almost 40 hotels and there are kind of rules which follow all tourist establishments, it is more than acceptable that the room tariffs are commercially done much before and, especially, in august when there is a highest season with a high occupation it is not possible to create a discount for a client who wants to book a room or to modificate his reservation just few days before, as there is the highest demand on the island. Moreover, basically, for all people the prices are the same so it is understandable that it is not fair to put in advantage some clients before the others.

The topic of Linkedin I must agree that that page is a kind of professional website but ,however I am a director of the hotel, do not represent any company or any commercially entity on this website. I would like to highlight that I am on my own there and my professional dates do not represent the place I work.

The last point we would like to declare is that the lost or found things inside the rooms as, it is understandable too, are in charge of the supervisor of clean ladies. Obviously, the lady has a certain schedule and all the outstanding things from the day before she manages firstly on the following day. We would like to let you know that we normally do send lost things to the clients however it is up to their request and their charge.

Anyway, if there was any convenience caused to you during your stay at our establishment, we really apologize for that and we try to do our best to avoid repeating that.

Management.

Travellers are raving about these Ibiza Town hotels

Antarvedi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed at the Hoteles Apartmentos Lux Mar for 3 weeks between June and July of 2013.

Many reviewers refer to this hotel as being “cheap,” and not “inexpensive.” The word “cheap” describes this hotel to a tee.

Due to a flight change out of my control by the airline Iberia, I had to leave the hotel one day earlier than I was supposed to; otherwise my future travel plans would be ruined. I checked out prior to the checkout time at the front desk and asked them to please make a note that I had to check out one day early. They would not give me a refund then and there because I had booked by trip through Expedia. Fair enough I thought.

A week later I called Expedia inquiring about the refund. After 7 separate phone calls over the course of several days to Expedia, they finally managed to get a hold of the apparently "hard-to-get-a-hold of" Lux Mar manager, who in the end refused to give out a refund for a last night stayed. Under no circumstances would the hotel give refunds for nights paid for, no matter how many or how few. The way the Playa Sol hotel chain does business is absolutely disgusting. Based on this negative experience alone, I cannot recommend this hotel whatsoever.

While staying at the hotel, I noted the following:

The Good
- Always felt safe when in the room and on the premises.
- Safety deposit boxes are in an area with a camera on them in the lobby.
- Cooking implements include cutlery, tea kettle, pots, pans, plates, utensils hot plate/stove top, toaster.
- Front desk staff are helpful, especially the two Hungarian receptionists (these two outstanding individuals were the major highlight of my stay. If they read this, I would like to thank them for their helpfulness and politeness).
- None of my belonging appeared to be tampered with/ stolen when I asked for my room to be made up.

The Bad
- Safety deposit box costs 4 Euros per day. It really should be free.
- No free wi-fi.
- No power outlet in the kitchen area. Prepare to make your toast in the bathroom or on your night stand.
- Strange foul smell emanating from the bathroom, as noted by other reviewers.
- Bathroom soaps were not replenished until my second week staying at the hotel.

The Ugly
- My stove top would NOT boil water. I left it on for half an hour to make pasta and the water only became warm to the touch. Test yours before buying food to cook, unlike myself. This REALLY negated the point of having a kitchenette in the room.
- LINENS ON THE BED ARE NOT CHANGED! I stayed in my room three weeks and slept in the same bed sheets for just as long. The beds get made up when the room is cleaned by the maids but the sheets are NOT clean! Why bother?
- No sound isolation between rooms. Prepare to hear your noisy neighbor’s conversations and airplanes taking off from the airport. As a consequence, I had many poor sleeps.
- No refunds for an early checkout, whether it is your choice or circumstances beyond your control.

For the price I paid for the room, I should not have to deal with the ugly. Those points are the BARE MINIMUM that should not even have to be addressed when staying in a hotel.

Amazing receptionists aside, this is a hotel I would never recommend to anyone under any circumstances, unless you are a masochist and enjoy being walked all over by a hotel chain.

Find somewhere else to stay on this amazing island. Don't ruin your vacation by staying at this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank A S
MARIA ANTONIA P, Gerente at Hoteles Apartamentos Lux Mar, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear A S,

First of all let me to thank you for your opinion which helps us to keep working hardly and getting a new motivation. We are really glad you were satisfied mainly with our reception staff and we will pass them the congratulations.
On the other hand we deeply regret we did not reach your full satisfaction. We would like to apologize for all inconveniences caused to you during your stay at our hotel.

Please, let us to clarify the certain things:
The tourist establishment have the kind of cancellation policy. Normally the cancellation is free of charge if you cancel your hotel room within ‘X’ number of days (normally 24h – 48h) before the date of arrival; it means no fee will be charged. However, if you cancel at any later point, you’ll be charged the full price.

The wifi is free of charge at the reception´s zone Lux Mar.

The safety deposit boxes are available for all the clients, however no for free. That is a common system in many other hotels, too.

We have maintenance services 15hours / day, so we are absolutely disposed to manage all the technics defects in the hotel. Obviously, they must be told at the the reception.

The cleaning services are normally every day. However, if clients do not want to be disturbed, there are available cards PLEASE, DO NOT DISTURB. In this case, our cleaning ladies do not enter. On the other hand, there are available green cards which mean PLEASE CLEAN MY ROOM. In this case, we clean immediately that room. If any misunderstanding causes, the clients can inform the reception, we are definitely ready to clean the room at any moment.

Hopefully, we could invite you to our establishment again to see the difference. We take notes of all your suggestions and definitely we do our best not to repeat that kind of situation.

The Management.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

if all you are looking for is somewhere cheap, dark, clean and quiet then this is the best place.
i go there every september for closing parties and stay here each time. every year it is the same - friendly staff, quiet for sleeping in, the rooms are dark enough to sleep through the mornings, and the rooms are clean.
if there are just a fewof you and you dont want a nice villa then i could not recommend it more.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Dear meganlouiserussell,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our company PlayaSol Hotel Group for your holidays in Ibiza.

On the behalf of all staff we are really glad you enjoyed the stay at our establishment We are grateful for the motivation you gave us and that is the right reason for us to keep on improving.

We hope you will come back the next season and it will be a pleasure to see you again at our establishment.

Kuwait
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

I have stayed here for 5 nights beginning of July 2013. The room was spacious and have a small kitchenette, which has almost everything needed. The kitchenette has spoon, forks, knives, plates, bowls, etc. The beds were two single, however I have moved them to look like a double one. The room has a functional PC and a balcony with swimming pool view as my room was in the tropical garden building. I did not swim in the pool, however from my room it looks great as people are enjoying swimming there. Staffs are in general helpful. The room is clean as well as the hotel public area but the floor is slippery may be because they are using fairy or something similar so that one have to be very careful.

As for the breakfast which is served near the reception area with a small swimming pool. The breakfast itself is very good and consists of cereals, eggs, juices, tea, coffee, honey, jams, bread, and some packed desserts.

I was in room 111; the door is not locked automatically, so you have to be careful when going out. Additionally, since balconies are very close to each other, your neighbor may gain access to your room so better to close the balcony before leaving.
Next to the hotel there is a lot where you can park the car,. however it crowded and sometimes very hard to find a place.

Room Tip: Upgrade to sea view and enjoy the view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear IbizaLoveYou,

Thank you for choosing our establishment for spending your holidays in Ibiza and for your comment as that is the right motivation for us to keep improving our services.

We keep working hardly day by day to reach the guest´s expectation because the main goal is right your satisfaction and we are really glad that in your case we were successful.

We wish you all the best and hopefully you will visit us the next year.

Kind regards
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed here for 10 nights July 2013. Had a side sea view room which was nice. Pillow was a bit lumpy for the last 2 nights think they changed it from the first 8 nights! . . . Basic kitchen and clean bathroom. Not a lot of mirrors in apartment though.

Lots of international customers who were all going out to explore the big clubs of the island! . . .15 min walk from the lovely old Ibiza town and harbour. Ate in the hotel first night 11 euros for buffet which was lovely.

Free wifi in reception which was soooooooo slow or you can pay to have it in your room / all around the hotel (40 euros for a week I think but rent by the hour and day too).

Overall a good hotel for the budget price we paid!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view :)
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear stuartlharris,

On the behalf of all staff we would like to thank you that you choosed our establishment for your holidays in Ibiza.

Your satisfaction is our main goal and we are really glad that in your case we reached your expectations. The comment like yours is the reason why we continue hardworking.

We hope you will choose the PLAYA SOL HOTEL GROUP as your holiday destination also another time, so that we could see you again in our apartments.

The management.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

I think your enjoyment of your stay at the Lux Mar is dependent on two things, one your expectations and two the other guests at the time of your stay.

Having stayed in a number of "allocation on arrival" places in the years before sites like tripadvisor, I figured this would be similar to some of those so I went with low expectations and I was pleasantly surprised.

We had an apartment with a separate bedroom and although it certainly wasn't spectacular, it was clean and comfortable. Both myself and my friend were very surprised by how comfy the beds were and we both slept well, the apartments were pretty quiet when we were there but the walls are quite thin so if you had noisy neighbours, you could have a very different experience! There is also free air con, which was a nice surprise and made sleeping much easier.

The location is good, Figueretas is a 10 minute walk away, you can walk into Ibiza Town in 25-30 minutes, there is a beach 2/3 minutes away but it's tiny, the one at Figueretas is much better. If you're not a beach person, there is a very small but usually empty pool at the Lux Mar but there is a lovely large pool in the other part of the complex by the Panoramic and Tropical Garden blocks.

If you're the type of people that want to cook and eat all your meals in the apartment, these are not the apartments for you, they're not very well equipped at all, but if you only want to have basic breakfasts etc and drinks, they're fine, we survived ok! We didn't eat in the restaurant at the apartments so can't comment on that.

I can't speak to some of the experiences other people had with the staff, all the staff we spoke to were polite and very helpful the whole time we were there. If I had one complaint it would be that the cleaners are sometimes a little heavy on the bleach but sometimes that's not necessarily a bad thing!

If you do go, watch out for the door locks, they don't lock automatically and it's very easy to leave the doors open by accident, so make sure you double check the doors.

All in all we were quite pleased with the apartment and it's location and would probably go back. Please don't go expecting the Ritz, when it comes down to it, this place is a 2 star, it's basic but it's clean and functional.

Room Tip: If you can have a sea view, it's a good view!
Dear vjg278,

Thank you for choosing our establishment for spending your holidays in Ibiza. The comments as yours are the right motivation for us to keep improving our services.

We are conscious about our deficiencies and we do our best to keep getting better. Thank you very much for the suggestions and let you know that of all of them we take a note.

We wish you all the best and hopefully you will visit us the next year.

Kind regards