“Definitely worth a repeat” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pesona Resort

Pesona Resort
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Shanghai
“Definitely worth a repeat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed on Gili T for 2 nights before going across to Lombok to climb Mt. Rinjani. Only on returning did we find Pesona (turn left off the pier, not right!) and decided after the first day to spend the rest of our time there! Staff very friendly, Shisha's and cocktail jugs very reasonably priced, good setting..

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
, Manager at Pesona Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
Thanks for the nice comments. Happy Hour from 4-8pm all high season and our new set menu's and new reduced price Indian food menu has gone down a treat.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Tallinn, Estonia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2010

Its small hotel, located close to main (center) area. We stayed in a villa (500 000 Rp a night), well I would call it deluxe room not really villa as its a room:) Evening and nights can be noisy, depending your are the rooms next to you rented or not, as everything can be heard well. When ceiling fan was on nothing could hear :) Had also AC in the room.
You get hot water when there is sun, otherwise luke warm. Water is salty, everywhere (pool, shower, sink). So I actually bought bottle water to take shower after salty shower :)
Breakfast: our room it was inc, simple: coffee or tea+ juice-not fresh sadly, pancake or toast or fresh fruit or omelette (or other type egg). If wanted lets say fresh fruit and pancake then needed to pay extra for one of those things.
They had pool in lobby area, sunbeds not comfortable (bambus), no beach really. We used the beach and pool on Villa Ombak area close by. Looked also nice place to stay.
Another nice hotel we visited was Villa Julius!!! Very nice and quiet as located totally separated from others.
Took us 2.5 h to walk around the island by coastline, stunning beaches - lot of them totally empty.
Prices I found little more expensive than Bali and less tasty: drinks-cocktails 50 -95000 Rp, lobster was 55 000 Rp per 100g. Exp: dinner for 2 easily 500k Rp.

As it was Christmas time then it was all merry, too touristic sadly.
Overall it was nice trip to take from Bali for couple of days.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kadi-rei
, Owner at Pesona Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
I wouldn’t quite call ourselves (Pesona Resort) a small hotel as we have 14 Rooms (consisting of a Villa suit and villa rooms, Bungalows, AC Rooms and Fan Rooms). Not quite sure whether you stayed in the Villa suit or villa room....either way both are beautufully hand decorated by our balanese interior designer bringing you original designs from both Bali and Lombok.
I am currently going to be on the island for a year now to grow the business further and bring more quality and service to our guests. Having said that I am staying in the villa room and during busy season when all our rooms are pretty much full...I do not find the evenings noicy at all. Maybe you stayed during the time when we constructed our new water tower and perhaps this is what caused the noice(s) you refered to, if so apolgies but I am sure you would have been warned as I made sure our reception informed all guests before checkin.

As for the ceiling fan in your room and the noice it makes...I can assure you they are a top brand so we have to balance sound with quality. We have had quiter fans removed specifically because they do not provide enough circulation of air in the room.

As for hot water, we have rooms with both electric hot water and solar hot water. Once again solar hot water technology is a growing industry in Indonesia and Pesona Resort was one of the first poineers to use this technology on Gili Trawangan in an attempt to be more ecological. I know we had a few teething problems initially but right now its very stable and the rooms do get hot water.
We actually get great comments about our breakfast so sorry to hear you were not happy with the menu. During high season we provide mineral water to the rooms, and include a free fruit salad for guests at breakfast.
As for the pool....we now have new shiny sunbeds....no longer using bamboo and the guests love them. We also now have pool towels for all our guests.

Hope you come back to Gili soon.

Regards
Sandesh
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2010

Cleanliness:

Rooms are small and clean however on arrival there were dead insects in our shower and basin. Pool looks very clean but you will be on display for all dining guests as well as anyone who walks past (the main stretch). Dining area is very tidy and serves some nice Indian favourites. The nann is great!

Location:

Close to everything, on the main stretch. This can be both positive and negative. Rooms are surprisingly quiet at night.

Rooms:

Small and close to one another but noisy. Generally clean. Beware; power can go off as can the water - you have to wait until the issue is resolved, we spent about three hours waiting for the electricity after a medium storm. They say they have a generator but they didn’t turn it on for us.

Service:

This is the deal-sealer for me to say that I wouldn't stay here again. The service was never bad; however it was poor considering there always seemed to be surplus staff 'floating around'. Even with so many staff it seems to take forever for them to acknowledge you and give you service. They were too busy with their phones, sitting down or socialising - don’t expect anyone to go out of their way for you here. When I asked about hiring two bikes the man told me that he could get them for IR50 000 each, off someone else. I got them myself; two for IR60 000, no one is here to do you any favours. We stayed 3 nights but only booked a night at a time. Instead of saying good morning (like most hotel staff in Bali) we were asked if we were staying another night. We stayed, giving them another chance. This place seems to be a bit of a money grab; normally this is outweighed by friendly service but in this case was not. As I type I am sweating, I have been here for 2 hrs and no one has asked if I wanted anything. There is some make-shift drumming in the kitchen, no guests dining and it seems that the water is still off as a new guest has just enquired about it and received a laesae-fare response.

Value: IR400 000 - IR450 000 in low season, a week before Christmas. You can find better value if you want to look around. You have to pay for Internet.

Sleep Quality: Good, Aircon could be serviced.

Well the other guest is back and making a complaint about the water again, I better go and check our room and surrender to the fact that we cannot have a shower before we head out for dinner and maybe go sweaty to bed.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BALNARRING
, Owner at Pesona Resort, responded to this review, 11 January 2011
As the owner – To begin with I am really sorry to hear about your stay at my Resort. We do pride ourselves in cleanliness and providing good customer service as you will see we have succeeded most times during our 3 years of being open. Unfortunately I manage this business from abroad which has its challenges but I do however come over regularly and set the standards. I'll try and address your points as best as I can so it doesn't happen to future guests:
- Cleanliness: The rooms are cleaned before new visitors arrive and as its rainy season, it appears one or two insects made their way into the bathroom, but rest assured we not only pre-clean the bathrooms and rooms but use insect repellent in these periods, but there may be lapses, which my staff would be more than happy to help with. Its monsoon season soon, as these things can happen, but we do take cleanliness seriously.
- Pool: The pool is clean, last thing I want is visitors falling ill in my hotel. I ensure we monitor both pH levels and bacteria levels regularly as well as cleaning pool twice daily. Pool is at the front near beach, works a treat for me, and hopefully for other guests (appreciate may not suit everyone, but you can make that decision before checking in).
Rooms: We have 3 standards of room- Standard, Deluxe and Villa, so not sure which room you stayed in, but certainly not small compared to other island rooms, each room can accommodate a King-size bed + extra double bed and still have walk around space...and villa rooms are massive.
Water: Unfortunately during your stay we were constructing a new 15m high water tower to increase water supply to all 14 rooms and bar and restaurant. During this time we had to restrict water slightly and use electric pumps but management should have warned all guests. I can only apologise if this never happened. The tower construction is complete so I would not expect this to happen again in the future.
Electricity: The power from the National Grid is out of my hands, however we have recently brought a brand new generator that has enough power to run all rooms and restaurant. We have set times for this to operate as you cannot run it ad hoc or keep it on all day as it will blow up! We are a relatively new family run resort and always learning. We have a schedule and I promote sticking by it as long as we let guests know the schedule should the power go off. This is our biggest challenge to manage but maybe sometimes the staff stick to the rules too much. I'll try and explain to them a bit of flexibility is ok for guests.
Service: This is the most upsetting part as I understand how important it is to get good service and made to feel at home when you are on holiday. I will speak to my management team straight away to explore this area and understand what went wrong here, as this is as you say one of the most crucial bits. I do take Customer Service seriously and will investigate the items you refer too, thanks for the feedback.
Internet: We are not really allowed to give away free internet on the island as there are local business' on the island that charge for this and this is their sole business income and I could be seen to put them out of business which is not acceptable and that’s why internet is not free. This is the same across every resort or at least should be. We have a obligation to give back to the community.
Aircon: All brand new aircoms less than 1 year old in all rooms. They are serviced weekly.

I do hope you come back again to the island and give us another shot. I started this place with my wife 3 years ago after going travelling around the world and tried to create something special in Gili T which reflects our personality and what we liked when we stayed in other peoples places. I completely understand what is important if you are on holiday, traveling or just visiting a place and I’m sorry it did not quite hit the spot for you. We always strive to improve and I will take your feedback seriously and put the necessary changes in place to make future visitors experience better than yours.

Best regards, Sandesh.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

The staff were froendly and happy to offer advice on fun activities for all of my kids and me and my husband. The food was fantastic as was the service and the room were really comfortable. The swimming pool was a great amenity and the beatufiul view and close proximity to the beach just topped the whole thing off!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

Me and my wife spent 4 nights at the Pesona Resort as part of our Honeymoon trip to Bali, and we had an absolutely wonderful time! I would certainly recommend visiting Gili T, and also staying at Pesona Resort.

Firstly, getting here... We took a fast boat from Bali (Blue Water Express) straight to Gili Trawangan. There were no issues at all getting this. The guy picked us up from our hotel, in Sanur, Bali. No problems at all. The ride was fine. Getting over to Gili is easy - most of the travel agents sell tickets to get to Gili T. It's worth booking ahead as the boats fill up! You begin to get a feeling for the number of people who arrive on this island each day.. not many!!

Gili T itself is a lively island. It’s not huge, but has excellent choice for food, drink and entertainment. There certainly is a more relaxed vibe there. There is one main strip on this island, and all of the hotels, resorts, restaurants and stalls/shops are off it. And there are no motor vehicles allowed on the island, so it’s either walking, taking your bike, or the more romantic horse and cart! In terms of location, Pesona Resort is right in the middle of it!

The accommodation at Pesona was excellent. We stayed in the luxury Villa Rooms, which are new and very spacious. We had our own private balcony, where we could lounge, and it even had a hammock (which I fell off!). We also had a look at the other rooms available, and they all looked to be an excellent standard.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. We hired bikes one day, and the resort staff were more than happy to arrange and deliver the bikes to us, whilst we relaxing at the resort. Breakfast was also great, and more than sufficient to start the day on a high. It was also fresh (cooked to order) so no worries about food sitting about for ages. They appeared to enjoy their work, and this gave a positive signal.

There was a pool, and a poolside bar. All looked good and they served a nice selection of drinks!

The hotel also had an excellent Indian restaurant, and look like one of the popular spots on the Island in the evening. It wasn’t just hotel guests eating there… always a good sign. We ate there a couple of times, whilst there. No problems at all.

Within short walking distance of Pesona, you could book snorkelling, buy gifts, hit the bars, sample the other restaurants, or check out the other hotels/resorts. In terms of WiFi, this was also available at the resort (for a cost). There were some bars further down that allowed you to use WiFi for free once you bought a drink. So Skype friendly too! Finally you could arrange a fast boat back to Bali/Lombok very easily from Gili T, again from the travel hut next door to the resort.

All in all, it was a great place, a great island and an enjoyable trip!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

i hve just landed back at home in the uk and what i would do to be back by the pool at Pesona sipping cocktails and shakes.
Pesona has very friendly staff that take care of you, its situated in the heart of Gili Trawangan right on the beach with breath taking views of crystal clear sea and white sand.
Its home to the only Indian cuisine on the island and the food is immense!! and very well priced, due to the indian culture it also provides the perfect relax by offering Shisha, all kinds of flavours and makes for a super social atmosphere any time of the day.

We were lucky enough to meet the creator and owner of Pesona whilst on our trip, Sandesh, he's a lovely guy and was happy to get to know us and chill by the pool with a few Bottles of Bintang and an amzing Shisha.

i thoroughly enjoyed my stay which only started out as 4 nights and ended up being 10, and i will definately be booking for next year very soon,

The Magician!! :)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
, Owner at Pesona Resort, responded to this review, 24 December 2010
Magician - I'm still waiting for you to explain how you made my playing card go to the top of the deck?

It was an absolute pleasure to have such a great bunch of lads/gals staying over. I had an absolute blast during your stay and it echo's why my wife and I started this place....brought back some travel memories. Hope you come back soon...Apple Sheesha and a free round on me ;-)

Hopefully I'll come over to Guilford in the New Year! Best regards, Sandesh.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights and compared to what we had been getting for our money, this place was terrible. It was expensive, the power was off all day from 8am, the blazing sun shone in on my bed, the aircon (when the power was on) didn't work & breakfast was awful. Only plus was that the staff were nice!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank littleboo77
, Owner at Pesona Resort, responded to this review, 24 December 2010
As the Owner: Dear Visitor I'm sorry for replying so late but better now than never. As background to my resort we are a relatively new place and family run but I'm not looking to give excuses but to give some insight to the changes we have done to make future guests stays much better.
A lot of things have changed since your review date to make our place better. We have now installed 16 new aircon units in all 14 rooms across the resort, built a new water tower, built 6 new rooms and a villa, put TV/DVD in most rooms, installed solar power hot water (eco friendly), brought a new generator which supplies power to my resort when the Nation Grid Electricity is down which can run all the rooms including the restaurant during set times and will be explained on check-in. This has stopped these issues of no electric all day which I know was one of the biggest complaints. In addition the Breakfast Menu has changed to give guests more choice and we have changed our breakfast food supplier. I hope all these points address the issues during your stay and I would gladly welcome you back and hope to make your next stay better! Best regards, Sandesh