“A great find - so relaxing” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alam Gili

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gili Trawangan
Alam Gili
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Melbourne, Australia
“A great find - so relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

Alam Gili is at the quieter northern end of the island - about 20mins walk from the main strip. It's a great spot on the island if you are wanting to keep yourself seperate from the partygoers. It's also away from the mosque and roosters that others complain about being noisy.

The facilities are lovely. Nice room with a big bathroom and lovely daybed out the front. The bed is quite firm though. The staff are just wonderful - all so friendly and helpful! Great restaurant too. Others were making the trip to the top of the island just to eat there.

Right out the front of the hotel is a coral reef - magical! Walk out over the coral and there you are - hundreds of beautiful bright coloured fish!

Room Tip: We had the Kura Kura bungalow - very nice.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank AWholeNewWorld10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
El Arish, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Pros: A cool green place on an island that's fairly dry and hot.
The rechargeable torches in rooms were a great idea.
downstairs queen bed and own bathroom which our 2 kids shared
upstairs queen bed and our own bathroom. Towels and sarongs provided.
Staff were friendly grounds kept very neat and tidy.
Much better value than Gili Eco resort we also stayed there
Cons: Restaurant was expensive with small portions compared to other restaurants on island. Bit too far from town and horse and carts were 50,000 rupiah to go one way, expensive transport for indo standards. Not the place to go to party. But great to go and relax.

Room Tip: sweet fish room is next to pool can watch kids play from room or balcony
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We spent 4 nights here with our 2 year old son and friends with 2 young sons and had a wonderful time. Our friends had an entire Balinese style house and we had the bottom floor of one, both had a lovely patio to sit on with table and also a sofa which was good for afternoon snoozes! The 'hotel' - just doesn't feel like one - is right on the beach off of which was the best snorkeling on the island. The rooms are all situated around a lovely garden which is no mean feat on an island where there is no fresh water source and it all had to be brought in from Lombok. Liked the fact that its away from the party side of the island though it means you miss out on the views of Lombok which you get from the Eastern side of the island and you do have to pay for a horse cart into town though we didn't go into town much so it didn't matter. We were impressed that Alam Gili offered half price refills of water bottles as a 'green' initiative. The staff were young guys who were all so friendly and laid back, lovely bunch. Massive breakfast. Kids loved the fact that they could be on the beach right from breakfast time right in front of us so was very stress free. If you want a quiet stay on Gili T this is a good option though I do wonder if we shouldn't have chosen Gili Meno instead. Read another review about the pool being too cold, I thought it was wonderfully refreshing especially as the sea was really, really warm! Our room also had air conditioning as did our friends' room but not sure whether they all do.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Sal P
Toulouse, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

stayed here for my husbands birthday during our trip to indonesia in July 2011 - had specifically chosen it as we wanted a small/personal hotel. Duyong Room was overlooking beach - had a massive balcony, great for relaxing at end of day. Afternoon tea and breakfast served on the beach was lovely. Great snorkeling right outside hotel, can hire equipment from hotel for small charge.

Staff very friendly however i was really disappointed with the service we received. I e mailied hotel a few times before my stay and requested a special cake for my husbands birthday which they said would be fine, the day before his birthday i asked reception if it was still ok and they wanted to charge me £15GBP which i thought was too much so i declined the offer. On his birthday no-one wished him happy birthday (our room was covered with cards) and i was a little disappointed.

Our room was cleaned everyday and was spotless however it was extremely hot, the fan did little to offer any respite from the july heat and was unbearable at times. The small pool was freezing - it had no sun on it all day but was welcome and refreshing for a quick dip after sunbathing.

Location of Alam Gili was right at north of island - a good 25 minutes and in my opinion too far from the other bars/restaurants. I felt very unsafe walking in the dark (definitlely need a torch) as the north of the island was very isolated.

I dont want to be too negative about Alam Gili because it was a peaceful, well kept, intimate hotel but i would stay nearer to the harbour if i was to visit the island again. Overall i was disappointed in gili T - it was a cheap, tacky party island and I much prefered our stay on Gili Meno - in contrast this was a quiet, relaxing and beautiful place - paradise!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Just spent 3 nights with the great staff at Alam Gili. Always smiling and singing, willing and helpful.
Unfortunately there is, at present, construction of another villa/hotel next door, so constant banging and drilling from dawn until late at night. I realise this will one day be completed and no-one can be held responsible but it was not the peaceful few days I had hoped for.
Despite this we had a fun time on the Island

Room Tip: Room Duyung is the only first floor that over looks the beach
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sian3
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

The island is absolutely amazing, probably one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and the Alam Gili was ok. It was by no means bad, (if you've ever stayed in budget accommodation in Greece or Turkey, then this is like staying in a mansion!) but the standard of hotels for their price in Indonesia is so high that the Alam Gili has a lot to compete with.

The main attraction of this hotel for us was the price - it had everything we were looking for but was way cheaper than the others because they don't hike up their prices in peak season. For that reason alone I would recommend staying here if you're on a bit of a budget because we had the Deluxe Mahi Mahi room (it might have even been Super Deluxe) and it was massive. The bed was extremely comfy and huge (!) and they are very helpful with mosquito protection - the room comes with a big clean mosquito net that adequately covers the whole bed, and the staff light you a mosquito coil incence stick every evening and either leave it on your step of if you are out they will put it inside the room and bathroom for you. I think this is a good point - another review says they were not happy about the staff coming in and putting them in your room every day but they wouldn't come in if you were inside and I'd rather that than be bitten all night!

The bathroom was massive with 2 mirrors and loads of dressing space which was great. Downsides are that the room and bathroom were really badly lit - I found this to be the case with 2 of the 3 hotels we stayed at in Indonesia - they use 40watt energy saving bulbs and I struggled to do my makeup (which for most women is a major downside!) - especially as the natural light faded at 6pm at sunset.

Also, the Mahi Mahi room is next to the kitchen. You can't see the kitchen (it's behind trellises) but you can definitely hear the staff when you're in the bathroom in the morning and evening. I actually found it quite sweet because the younger boys (there are about 5 teenage local boys who work in the kitchen/bar) were singing songs and generally messing about a bit, which was nice to hear (at least they enjoy their jobs!) and it wasn't overly imposing. If I was a bit more picky though I might have taken issue with it.. but I'm quite relaxed. You couldn't hear them in the bedroom itself.

The bedroom doors are a bit rickety.. it wouldn't take much at all to break into them - they are like sliding wardrobe doors. I wasn't too bothered as I used the safe box and crime is low (non existent..?) on the island.

The bathroom wasn't air conditioned which was a bit of a shame because if you have a shower and get cool, but then blow dry your hair, you end up just as hot as when you started, but I don't know of any hotels with airconned bathrooms in indonesia!

Breakfast was very basic and to be honest, a bit boring, every morning for a week it was the same limited menu - you choose 1 of 3 fruit juices, 1 of 3 omelettes and a bread roll with jam, and fruit salad, but the fruit was really tasteless. HOWEVER to be honest, who cares when nyou are sat on a STUNNING white beach (the tables are on the sand) under trees, looking out at crystal clear water? It was a nice healthy well presented breakfast and the staff were polite (but don't really speak much English.) They make a massive effort to make the fruit salad look pretty. Gili T has a bit of a problem with flies so it was annoying everywhere you ate - dozens of flies would be trying to land on your food, but that's not the Alam Gili's fault.. they even "swept" the sand under the tables daily.

The hotel is quite a walk into the main area. We deliberately chose it because we heard it's hard to get to sleep in the more central hotels but having been there now it's not actually the massive party island it's made out to be - the bars turned their music down at 11pm and only 1 or 2 "clubs" opened later into the night.

You could get a cidamo horse and cart but they only take you half the way back to the hotel because the dust track that leads you there turns into pure, deep sand halfway through and none of the drivers will take you. (They will take you to the Alam gili in the daytime the long way round if you have luggage etc but not at night as it's pitch black off the main track.)

We didn't mind the walk as it's not like you can be in a rush on Gili T, but be aware that at some points on the track it is pretty much pitch black/moonlight only. I liked it, I never felt unsafe, but take a torch if you don't fancy that. The locals rode around in the dark on bikes using their mobile phones to light their way!

The pool at Alam Gili was pretty disappointing - we never went in it once, it is tiny (they do state it is small on their website in fairness) - it was just very basic and not sure how clean it is as it's freshwater. However about 1 min walk down the beach and you have pretty much your own private white beach with shallow warm water.. so would much rather be on the beach than poolside.

The beach directly opposite Alam Gili was lovely at high tide but not so pretty at low tide - lots of coral/rocks - you can't really go in the sea directly opposite the hotel, but if you literally walk for 2 minutes down the beach it's less corally and if you kept on walking for a few more minutes it's even better, so not a problem at all. The closer you get to the centre the busier the beach was and we loved having "our" bit of beach to ourselves for pretty much all day every day, 2 mins from the Alam Gili.

I agree with other comments that the management of the hotel seems to need a bit of a rethink. The staff there are really nice but seem to be under pressure to fill the rooms - they mistakely had pencilled us in the diary to stay 5 nigths when we only booked 4. Luckily I'd printed off my confirmation as he insisted that we'd booked 5 nights and seemed anxious and angry that we were leaving a night early and therefore they'd "wasted" the opportunity to rebook the room that night and it would be empty, as if they would get told off by their managers. The main reception man wasn't very friendly (the bar staff were.)

Also they totally ripped us off for water - they were charging 5 times the amount for a 2l bottle of water than anywhere else I'd been - don't use the bar - buy one from the mini mart just down the road. That annoyed me as the Alam Gili, whilst great value and comparitively cheap for Gili T, was the most expensive hotel of our trip.

Overall I would stay here again but I would be tempted to shop around and see if there are nicer places.

Room Tip: The standard rooms looked much, much smaller than the super deluxes/deluxes which were not much more...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dawn H
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights.. initally I was a bit dissapointed by the grounds and set up, however after a few days I grew to like the place. Staff were freindly and respectful. I was a little shocked initially when I realised the staff enter your room 3x times a day to clean/turn down and put mosquito coils in. Security was also a concern, as I had to ask several times for a pad lock for the door. Once this was in place however I was more reassured. Generally clean and quiet which is what I was seeking. The rooms are located quite a long way away from town, and the walk is about 20 mins to get to the main food/services area in trawangan. Food was very basic, so I only had breakfast there.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo