“Excellent accomodation in Gili Trewangan”
Review of Martas Hotel

Martas Hotel
Ranked #5 of 170 Gili Trawangan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My wife and two teenage stayed at Martas and can't speak highly enough of this peace of paradise. The owners and staff have clearly worked hard at creating a fantastic hotel. Rooms are spacious and clean. Pool is fantastic place to relax. Breakfast is excellent and included in the price of room rate. I will definetly return to this place at some stage in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Adrian W

Reviewed 13 August 2012

We enjoyed our stay here. Martas provides a nice and cozy accomodation. It's that kind of place that seems to attract friendly guests to reflect the friendly service. Cottages are basic but very comfortable even though I am not a fan of the bedroom upstairs and bathroom downstairs kind of set up. There's a small pool. Rooms are close to eachother but still private enough. Breakfast is good as is the outside lounging area. Joanna is very helpful in setting up anything that you may need. Staff are a pleasure to interact with. Martas is located about a five minute walk from the docking area. Try not to use the horse and carriage service as the horses seem to be maltreated. Martas staff will meet you at the dock. This is a nice and good value place to stay if you don't mind being away from the beach. There are places on the island that provide loungers on the beach if you eat and drink there. I didn't like the monopolizing of the beach area by the hotels. The noise from the mosque didn't bother us but might be a nuisance to some.

Room Tip: all look the same
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelglobe
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Of all the places we stayed whilst we were away martas was by far the best. Beautiful villas with amazing wood interiors, great porches with day beds and lovely. staff are the best - breakfast was amazing. no way to describe how nice our stay here was!! Thank you!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The rooms are actually little two-storey cottages, with the upper floor being just a huge big bed and clothes cabinet and the lower floor has the bathroom and shower in the back, the big stair to the second floor, and then a big outdoor chaiselong and table with seating for four. The outdoor living area was a godsent - perfect for cooling off in the shade, reading, relaxing - really inviting and putting you in the mood of island time.

The staff is incredibly friendly and welcoming, the rooms are clean, the pool area is lovely - all in all, a really great hotel somewhat away from the busy main street. No noise can be heard from the parties and bars, even though all that is just 2 minutes walk away.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim H
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Spent a couple of nights here in July and it was the perfect start of the Gili holiday. Incredible friendly staff with a refreshing welcome drink upon arrival and all needs attended to during our stay. We made ample use of the pool area and our day bed outside the bungalow which was also perfect for our daily breakfast. The bathroom looked worn and dated though and could use an upgrade.

This part of the islands doesn't have a great beach but it's minutes away from the best restaurants. While staying here we enjoyed Scallywags, Beach House, Tir Na Nog, and KoKoMo's restaurant, the best food we've enjoyed on the island.

After a couple of days we moved to a place on the North-East side of the island and in the end preferred this over the south-beach due to its close proximity to the beach (5meters!) and despite the food not being as good there than on the south side.

If you're looking for quietness, great staff, value for money and quick access to good food do choose Marta's!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

Our 6 day stay at Martas was fantastic. Joanna (who is English) welcomed us like long lost friends and was always available to advise us on trips out or where to eat. The place itself is in a great location at the busier end of the island but set back from the hussle. The gardens around the pool are quite special and the bungalows themselves very attractive. The Verandah with its day bed was an added bonus. Breakfast was hearty and plenty of choice and you could have it in the main area or back at your room, at any time of day! They have a selection of DVDs and books you can borrow and some masks and snorkels you can borrow too. The wifi was a bonus we weren't expecting!  I would definitely recommend Martas and the Gili islands.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank rocciojs
Reviewed 25 July 2012

There isn't enough good I can say about Marta's! It was simply amazing and exceeded my expectations. We booked Marta's online by chance. After researching it, I found out it was number 1 here for B&B's in Gili Trawangan. Now, I know why.

We rented the family villa for several days and loved the chic style of it! Downstairs, a precious little front patio with entry to the bathroom and a private bedroom. Going upstairs, there was another king bed and a single bed separate from the main area. The beds were comfortable and the rooms clean and neat. They have a private mini bar refrigerator and a mini safe for your valuables. Nice flat screen televisions are mounted on the wall for dvd viewing with a huge selection of dvd's at the front desk.

Joanna and Marta are the owners here and they make the most incredible breakfasts! Fresh flowers are out on the tables and they offer a community area to eat as well as private areas.
Marta's is conveniently located to the main street of Gili and close to most of the dining and dive shops.

My personal review has to include this... besides the wonderful service, very fair rates, and beautiful lodging, Marta's has Joanna.

When we arrived at Gili Trawangan we had just left Bali and been through an ordeal with my youngest daughter breaking her hand in the river rapids. Joanna immediately, without my even asking, jumped into "fix it" mode and helped me with all my worries! She called friends and the hospital local to Gili in Lombok to track down an orthopedic doctor and make an appointment at the hospital he would be at! She did all the interpreting and appointment making, obtained directions for the driver, and suggested ideas for travel arrangements. It's not as easy as you may think in areas like this!

Joanna and her staff also spent many hours going beyond the normal to check on my girls for me in my absence. I could not have asked for more.

No hassles and no worries at Marta's. If you have a question or problem, they can answer or fix it! Not only would I return, if I could I would rent a room year round! I love it here!

Room Tip: We stayed in the family villa and in room number 1. I loved both and can't imagine any others w...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family