“Good but can be better”

Bale Sampan Bungalows
Ranked #6 of 170 Gili Trawangan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I remind myself to review this property as relative to our property in the island. The bungalows are set in a nice ground and plants. The room is rather comfortable and of good size. The staff are very friendly and food and juice delicious. It would have been better if the towels are of better quality, provision of floor towels and stronger water pressure.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victor K

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stayed here in November 2012 during my first trip to the Bali area and was lucky enough to stay for 2 weeks. The place is truly to die for. Set towards the quieter end of the main Gili T strip, Bale Sampan is close enough to the bars, places to eat and dive shops etc that you're only a couple of minutes bicycle ride away, yet far enough away to offer truly peaceful accommodation, perfect for a very relaxing and comfortable stay.

Our detached bungalow was simple yet offered everything we needed. The on-site generator proved its worth on several occasions during Gili T's seemingly frequent power outages and a good quality WiFi set up ensured we could maintain our links to friends and family back home and constantly draw envy by posting pictures of this most idyllic of locations!

I think what sets Bale Sampan apart from other places is definitely the staff, who are the most helpful and genuinely friendly bunch of people you could want to be looking after you during your holiday. From sourcing hired snorkel equipment to hiring out their own on-site bicycles, recommending places to eat and putting me to sleep on a sunlounger after a drunken night out which resulted in me being locked out of our bungalow (!!) and a next-day laundry service, the staff are more than capable of ensuring your stay is as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.

We were lucky enough to be treated to a guided sightseeing tour of nearby Lombok by one of the staff which was truly memorable and ensured we took in the vast majority of Lombok's main attractions - from temples to shopping malls to roadside monkeys - in a single day.

The freshwater pool is to die for and a welcome retreat from the heat. During my stay I decided that I'd found my favourite 2 square metres on Earth - the sloped edge of the pool where I could sunbathe while remaining cool with one arm and one leg submerged in the water!

Bale Sampan is truly a place in paradise and one which I cannot wait to visit again.

P.S. The banana and honey pancakes in the cafe are immense - highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Bale Sampan for two nights on Gili & it was a breath of fresh air to escape the madness of Bali. Lovely accommodation & a nice location, not too near or far away from the village. I have to give a special mention to the very attentive staff who made us feel very welcome from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Great to have allocated sun beds on the beach & not have to pay for them as we did in Legian & Seminyak. Bikes also for rent which are a must for exploring this beautiful little island. I would definately recommend & return :-)

Thank u to the Bale Sampan for making our stay a very memorable & welcome one on Gili.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 9 March 2013

After traveling the middle and far east over the last 20 - 25 years, I have travelled to Gilli T and stayed at Bale Sampan a number of times over the last 3 years. Following my most resent visit I could not fault the staff, the accommodation or the food both at the accommodation or in the nearby restaurants.

The accommodation offers clean towels and the beding is changed regularly. The rooms are spotless. Time is obviously taken to maintain the standards and up keep of the rooms and gardens.

The staff are very friendly and helpfull, assisting where ever possible to make your stay enjoyable. Laundry was done promptly and transfers to and from the island were organised for me.

This is a small island with a lot to offer. It offers superb facilities for an island that is rapidly developing. There is WiFi, fresh water, comfortable beds, good food and a warm smile at all time. Why wouldn't you come bak:-) !!!!!!! Thank you Bale Sampan.

Room Tip: The 2 sea front room offer spectacular view, however the garden rooms secluded tranquility.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We just had 2 nights at the Bale Sampan on Gilli T and will return in the near future
Upon arrival we were greeted by one of the owners , Harriett who could not have been any more helpful in explaining the workings of the place and all the sites to see on the island.
The breakfast was adequate and very tasty.
We all enjoyed the conversation and laughs supplied by Mary Anna who is a real asset to the business

Room Tip: Pool Rooms are very nice with the out door shower
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have to say that coming back to Bale Sampan was a pleasure. So much so that I am planning my next trip back already. What makes me keep coming back is the delightful rooms the charming staff and the oh so good breakfast. The rooms are always clean and tidy and clean towels put into your room everyday. And what a treat having that beautiful beach only a few meters away. And after the swim in the sea a dip in the freshwater pool. So thank you Bale Sampan looking forward to getting back in November.

Room Tip: All excellent Value
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

I booked this place because the good reviews and about the staff but I think it was below average. We paid $75US for a room.

First of all we think it was overpriced. The towels were ratty, stained, old and smelly. Both beach towels and the room towels. Soap a were not refilled in the bathroom. Toilet was yellow and the shower head full of crusty stuff. Old toilet rolls were left behind after cleaning. The water system was weak and it was hard to get the right balance of hot and cold. These are annoying minor details which can make such a BIG difference. So for $75 bucks definitely a rip off. It was just the bed that was made everyday.

Paint was crumpling on the inside and outside of the bungalow. There was complimentary coffee and tea at 4pm but instant Nescafe and the cups were stained.

The staff were not very attentive. We stopped leaving our room key at the front desk when we left because there were no one there most of the time. Anyone could have reached in to get your key to your room.

The pool was small and right next to the toilet. Not very nice to look at the toilet when you are relaxing.

Breakfast was adequate. The girls running the cafe are better than the guys cleaning and running the Reception. The guy at the Reception was quite grumpy actually.

Good points would be it was a good location but it is a small island so nothing is far from each other. Some staff were helpful especially the cafe girls.

Better attention to details like with the cleaning and larger breakfast size and friendlier and happier staff would make this a better stay. But with the price I would go to a better place.

As for Gili Trawagan I would recommend maximum of 2 nights. Snorkelling was great but it was so full of tourists and this was low season. Yeah there are no cars but it is overrun by people and cats. The beaches are dirty and you get harassed by sale people constantly. The beach massages are between 100,000 to 150,000 rupiah ($10-$15 USD. Beers are about $3-$4. Pricey compared to other SE Asian countries like Vietnam or Thailand.

Be careful of people rushing at you at Bangsal Harbour, where you catch a boat across from Gili to Lombok. They grab your bags and demand tips. They also ask to see your ticket (if you pre booked a bus back into town) and tell you to follow them and ask/push you and your luggage on a HORSE and CARRIAGE. They will take you literally 5 minutes walk to where your bus is and demand money. And if you come from Lombok to Bangsal Harbour by taxi and if you get a dishonest taxi driver like we did he will also recommend you get on a Horse and Carriage and be driven to the rest of the way to the Harbour. Tip! Don't talk to the taxi driver when they try to ask you personal questions. It is only a short walk so 'don't get on!'. They also make you pay a 2500 rupiah tax at a carpark where the taxi stops. The Horse Carriage people will then take you to a dishonest ticket office but really if you just continue by foot to the Harbour there is an official ticket office selling tickets for 10,000 rupiah person or around $1 USD. Just be ready and alert!

• Stayed: February 2013