My family stayed here for 3 nights during our 5 night stay on Gili T. We booked a Family Suite via booking.com but on arrival the Manager, Ank, upgraded us to the front 3 bedroom villa because there was a double booking through booking.com and a Family Suite was no longer available. Our invoice showed the '3 bedroom villa' but we actually only had access to two lockable bedrooms with ensuites that opened out onto an old open air kitchen/dining/lounge area which had a TV and DVD player. This area opened out onto the front bar pool by reception. There was also an internal stairway that led to an open area balcony but we asked the staff to block it off as we didn't want our children wandering up there.
The bedrooms were fine, they weren't interconnecting but were adjacent one another. No TVs or DVD player in the rooms; the aircons worked well.
Unfortunately, we found the ensuites quite unsuitable for our young family. The benches, sinks and taps were extremely high (even for the adults) and our 7yo and 5 yo children couldn't reach the sink or taps and needed us to lift them each time they needed to use them (our children are average height and this has never happened any where else - ever!). So these rooms really weren't suitable for us at all.
Also, there were no windows making the ensuites very dark, the water pressure was very weak (terrible for washing salt from hair) and the drains blocked often (I respect that Gili T has a limited fresh water supply and a huge number of tourists, so my husband and I kept reminding ourselves to "manage our expectations").
The rooms and ensuites were cleaned daily and diligently which was excellent because we kept dragging sand into the rooms and the beds, I even saw one housekeeper carefully sweeping the sand from our bed (perhaps changing the sheets would be better).
The main pool was in an adjacent property at the back of the resort, I wasn't impressed by it and I didn't use it but instead used the pool briefly in front of our rooms. Most of the time we were snorkelling and only briefly used the pool to cool off.
The bar by the front pool wasn't in operation but the staff at the restaurant bar were happy to deliver drinks to the front pool.
Breakfast was served at the restaurant across the main walk path. It was quite basic and we have had much better breakfasts at other hotels. We didn't eat here at any other time but they were open for lunch and dinner as well.
The location of the Samba is directly opposite the main snorkelling area which was very convenient. The Samba hire out snorkels and masks but next time we will take our own because it was difficult to find masks to fit the children properly. (Tip: someone gave us an empty 600ml water bottle filled with bread with holes in the lid for feeding the fish - I'm not sure how ecologically-friendly that was but it was amazing to have hundreds of fish following us like the Pied Piper!!)
And a final comment about location...the Samba is located in the vicinity of the local mosque so we could easily hear the call to prayer over the loud speaker at various times of the day, as you can at most places on Gili T. We are very open to other cultures and lifestyles and like to enjoy these new experiences while we are travelling, however our visit to Gili T was during Ramadan and we didn't anticipate being woken at 3am everyday for the morning call to early breakfast. For our remaining nights on Gili T we stayed at the southern end and we couldn't hear the loud speaker at any time.
The Samba staff were all lovely and very helpful and the proximity to the snorkelling area was great, however we won't stay here again because the bathroom facilities of the front rooms weren't suitable for our family and we wouldn't risk having that happen again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Samba Villas enjoys a direct access to the beach. It offers a perfect base as an Indonesian family owned and run operation, attention to each and every guest gives you truly unique experience at the same time as supporting local business. whether your holiday focuses in diving, island hopping, or simply relaxing in the sun. With local and international cuisine and strong knowledge of the island and surrounding area, we aim to keep you satisfied both inside and out. Samba Villas is a special places if you are swimming in our pool, enjoying the bar and lounge area, resting in your villa or somewhere in between, Samba Villas will not leave you wanting. Samba Villas have a fresh water pool from where you can watch beach life in front. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Samba Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samba Villas Hotel Gili Trawangan
- Samba Villas Gili Islands/Gili Trawangan