“Fantastic!”
Review of Samba Villas

Samba Villas
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Upon arriving at Samba Villas I was treated with the utmost kindness and hospitality and lots of smiles :)! I found the rooms to be much more than I expected, clean, comfortable and with the flowers placed so randomly around the room I felt I had finally found what I had been needing for so very long. After a two year English teaching sprint in Taiwan all the stresses melted away :) ! The food was delicious and presented in an excellent manner. Special orders were performed without hassle and being from a family -owned-restaurant background I felt the kitchen worked in a very professional manner in getting orders out during rush times. All in all my experience at Samba Villas left me with the feeling that I will always have a home on Gilli T :) :) :)

Room Tip: The family room is great for families with separate rooms for the family and kitchen and living room...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Mikalli Z

Reviewed 11 August 2013

My family stayed here for 3 nights during our 5 night stay on Gili T. We booked a Family Suite via booking.com but on arrival the Manager, Ank, upgraded us to the front 3 bedroom villa because there was a double booking through booking.com and a Family Suite was no longer available. Our invoice showed the '3 bedroom villa' but we actually only had access to two lockable bedrooms with ensuites that opened out onto an old open air kitchen/dining/lounge area which had a TV and DVD player. This area opened out onto the front bar pool by reception. There was also an internal stairway that led to an open area balcony but we asked the staff to block it off as we didn't want our children wandering up there.

The bedrooms were fine, they weren't interconnecting but were adjacent one another. No TVs or DVD player in the rooms; the aircons worked well.

Unfortunately, we found the ensuites quite unsuitable for our young family. The benches, sinks and taps were extremely high (even for the adults) and our 7yo and 5 yo children couldn't reach the sink or taps and needed us to lift them each time they needed to use them (our children are average height and this has never happened any where else - ever!). So these rooms really weren't suitable for us at all.

Also, there were no windows making the ensuites very dark, the water pressure was very weak (terrible for washing salt from hair) and the drains blocked often (I respect that Gili T has a limited fresh water supply and a huge number of tourists, so my husband and I kept reminding ourselves to "manage our expectations").

The rooms and ensuites were cleaned daily and diligently which was excellent because we kept dragging sand into the rooms and the beds, I even saw one housekeeper carefully sweeping the sand from our bed (perhaps changing the sheets would be better).

The main pool was in an adjacent property at the back of the resort, I wasn't impressed by it and I didn't use it but instead used the pool briefly in front of our rooms. Most of the time we were snorkelling and only briefly used the pool to cool off.

The bar by the front pool wasn't in operation but the staff at the restaurant bar were happy to deliver drinks to the front pool.

Breakfast was served at the restaurant across the main walk path. It was quite basic and we have had much better breakfasts at other hotels. We didn't eat here at any other time but they were open for lunch and dinner as well.

The location of the Samba is directly opposite the main snorkelling area which was very convenient. The Samba hire out snorkels and masks but next time we will take our own because it was difficult to find masks to fit the children properly. (Tip: someone gave us an empty 600ml water bottle filled with bread with holes in the lid for feeding the fish - I'm not sure how ecologically-friendly that was but it was amazing to have hundreds of fish following us like the Pied Piper!!)

And a final comment about location...the Samba is located in the vicinity of the local mosque so we could easily hear the call to prayer over the loud speaker at various times of the day, as you can at most places on Gili T. We are very open to other cultures and lifestyles and like to enjoy these new experiences while we are travelling, however our visit to Gili T was during Ramadan and we didn't anticipate being woken at 3am everyday for the morning call to early breakfast. For our remaining nights on Gili T we stayed at the southern end and we couldn't hear the loud speaker at any time.

The Samba staff were all lovely and very helpful and the proximity to the snorkelling area was great, however we won't stay here again because the bathroom facilities of the front rooms weren't suitable for our family and we wouldn't risk having that happen again.

Room Tip: Ensuites in the front rooms aren't suitable for young children, the taps and sinks are way too h...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank eccythump
Reviewed 6 August 2013

was a nice place to stay very helpfull and friendly staff rooms were clean well presented food was good,would defintly stay here again we had dinner there several times and a lot of drinks staff were always prompt service good and friendly.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Hankburns
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We did not stay at Samba Villas but first visited their restaurant on our first night on GT. We were lured in by their large TripAdvisor 4.5 star sign.
Of course my wife indulged in their two-for-the-price-of-one cocktails and loved her Cosmopolitans at our table on the sand with the waves lapping a few metres away. She is usually wary of local dishes but ventured into a Beef Rendang which was tender and tasty. I chose a Teriyaki Fish but whatever they delivered was a delicious mystery – certainly not Teriyaki fish, but a delightful Chicken something with an amazing sauce with flavours that exploded on my palate. I soaked up every last drop with my rice.
My dish was so good that we returned for lunch next day – once again cocktails for her (their two-for-the-price-of-one cocktails are on a 24 hour “happy hour”). She chose a Thai salad which was delicious and spicy while I enjoyed my Chicken Goreng Pedan. Great service, friendly staff, - probably one of the best restaurant bars in Gili Trawagan.

Room Tip: Try this restaurant, regardless of where you are staying
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank croftonMelbourne
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The worst thing about this place is the deceiving photos. Pool bar? It's a dirty pool and no bartender in the bar. Kids use the pool to play a bit with their snorkeling gear but why would you post such a pretty picture of a swimming pool bar if there's nothing attractive about it?

Staff schemes
- Checking in was annoying, when we complained about the room rates (after seeing them) the manager told us that we had booked through booking.com so the money would be taken out of our account anyway. That's not a customer friendly answer! In addition, we checked and its not even true: booking.com says that cancellation fees are up to the properties and not up to booking.com!
- we had paid a deposit through PayPal which was not mentioned by the staff while we were checking in. Even though they had sent us an email (!!) after our booking with the request to pay 50 euros in advance, which we did. They made us ay the whole amount without deducting the deposit. When we found out we had to go back and ask the deposit back. They said they would check PayPal, but never did. We had to ask three times and then the manager told us to show it on our own phone. So we did. We had already calculated what 50 euros would be in IDR with the current rate (650.000) and the manager said that he would give us 500.000. he didn't even calculate it, he just said it. We said that its 650.000 for sure. His reply was: YES BUT THAT'S WITH YESTERDAY'S RATE. I didn't believe what I was hearing. First of all, it doesn't matter if its yesterday's rate as we also paid it the day before so we want our money back with the same rate. Second of all, the rate was exactly the same that day, we had checked online. Third of all, why did he not take the time to check PayPal himself instead of having us come back three times. Schemes, schemes, schemes. Unbelievable.

Room was ok and clean but bathroom smelled like urine and the toilet was leaking. Shower area was moldy. Didn't dare to take off my slippers in the bathroom. AC was good and working. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. Fruit was fermented. It says the hotel offers snorkeling material but you have to rent it at absurd prices.

Overall, not bad of a room but everything else was terrible. Do not go there. D not go to gili t. It's not worth it. Unless you are 16 and want to have beach and drinks all day. Nothing more to do.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

We found all the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. The rooms were exceptionally clean and well serviced. Unfortunately we had an incident when a thunderstorm with heavy rain for over an hour caused water that was coming off the roof of the building next door to shed onto our veranda floor and wash under our front door flooding some of our room floor. I reported it and the staff were around directly to sweep the waster away and dry the floor with a mop and stop the cause of the water ingress. Well done. We had no damage to our belongings and other was no damage to their room.

The restaurant was over the road and on the beach, the menu was great, prices reasonable, and food of great quality. Service was prompt despite the restaurant being full.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank afterglow1236
Reviewed 14 July 2013

we stayed at Samba Villa for one night in July 2013. The room is excelent. the staff s are very friendly especially the manager , mr Ank . The locaton of the hotel is good enough and also the beach. The staff ( Mr Chaerul / Haerul ) helped us to rent a boat for snorkeling because we couldnt joint snorkleing tour that day . We will stay here again if we visit Gili Trawangan . The only disappointment of us is we stayed only one night.
Any way the phone in the room does not work.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
#33 of 260 in Gili Trawangan
Kelapa Luxury Villas
Kelapa Luxury Villas
#37 of 260 in Gili Trawangan

Been to Samba Villas? Share your experiences!