“Lovely hotel, great location, fantastic service!”
Review of Hotel Ombak Sunset

Hotel Ombak Sunset
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We visited the resort for five days, and that was just the perfect amount of time for Gili T. Any longer and you would be bored.

We stayed in a Garden Bungalow, behind the resort reception which was lovely. There is large main building just being finished beside the reception, however we were not disturbed by any construction noise as garden area with the villas, is too far away to hear anything.

The staff could not have been any more lovely and helpful if they had tried. They really went out of their way to make us feel special.

The only complaint I had about the accommodation is that I am paranoid about getting bitten by mosquitoes, and the outdoor bathroom of the villa (although very enclosed and absolutely lovely) did tend to have a few mosquitoes if you went out at night, that followed you back inside if you were not quick!

I asked if we could be moved to a villa with an indoor bathroom, and they moved us immediately and very graciously however the villa was not as nice as the one with the outdoor bathroom but hey, you can't have it all! And it was still perfectly nice.

Bed sheets were changed every day, and villa was cleaned really well and fresh fruits placed in room. Food in the restaurants was lovely, and the pool area was a great place to chill out.

The private beach front (belonging to the resort) is the most beautiful place to watch the sunset, possibly in the world! You get best view on the island, and there are loungers and day beds and drinks service. Also a lovely restaurant on the beach, where you can have dinner and watch the sunset....very romantic!

The spa was absolutely wonderful. The spa manager Gary is incredibly healing,and he does reflexology like no-one else. I went back two days in a row! The body massage I had was also great, and all the staff lovely. Only complaint about the spa was that they were using cheap nail polishes, and my manicure didn't last very long. Manicure was great though, apart from the polish so take your own polish.

Only other negative things that I would say are: Wireless is only available in the reception area or in the villas beside the reception. They need to increase the wireless coverage. Also they give you individual session log ins and passwords on paper for logging on which is not necessary, as they could just give everyone a password and change the password every few weeks.

Also, the need to increase their medical supply box. There is a doctor on the island but he is an hour away by the time they send for a donkey and cart to get you, and sometimes you don't want to travel to the doctor on a donkey and cart when you feel ill! I got a mild vomiting bug the first day we were there (almost certainly from breakfast I ate at another resort) and I needed hydration sachets and anti-sickness pills and they had none, and also no thermometer as my partner wanted to check my temperature but their old mercury thermometer was broken. I ended up having to make the journey into town on the back of the donkey to get stuff from the doctors. Not fun when you're being sick!!

All in all though, this is a beautiful resort! Perfect, romantic place for any couple.

Room Tip: Choose one beside reception if you want wireless in your room
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 June 2012

What a pleasant surprise on Gili Trawangan. Great rooms with nice outdoor Bali style bathrooms. The standard rooms are still under construction, leaving only the bungalows open for customers I think. All of the facilities are ready though, including the great pool and really nice breakfast. Because of the construction, we had these facilities mostly to ourselves. We only ate one other meal there, because the prices were a bit high and the menu was only ok, but that was no problem as we worked other meals into our excursions to the other side of the island. I enjoyed the walks across to the other side of the island which was lucky because the cidomos (horse powered passenger carts) were a bit uncomfortable and slightly expensive, at least by Indonesian standards.

Happy hour was good, if a bit lonely; the bartenders at the pool were great. The bar at the beach was nice for drinks while watching the sun set. The staff made sure we had everything we needed every day, they all spoke English, and they all smiled a lot. Electric socket adapters, flashlight for a night walk, extra towels, turn down service, etc. all provided. Their service was truly outstanding. Free internet in the lobby area was adequate, and I'm sure is diffucult to provide given the location. TV channel selection was good. Beds were great.

The beach is pretty and clean, no trash floating around like in Bali. The downside is you can't swim in the ocean here, too shallow with lots of plants and creatures. We walked across some stepping stones in the ocean, looking for the dropoff, until my son was poked by a sea urchin perched on one of the stones; end of that walk. Anyway, still beautiful from the shoreline and the pool covered the swimming needs. Pool water was just a tiny bit saline, water in rooms is fresh. Really recommended for honeymooners due to the quiet and beautiful surroundings. To a lesser extent, I recommend it for kids also due to the great pool, though it should be even better when more rooms open up and there are more kids around. The construction wasn't really bothersome.

Room Tip: I think all the bungalows are similarly good, not sure if any other room type is yet available.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2012

if you like crowds, this place is definitely not for you..
their location is pretty far from all the happenings.. but, i do prefer that. it's pretty quiet, and as its name suggests, i enjoyed the beautiful sunset sky right from the hotel's swimming pool.. I quite like restaurant's .. the food is good (not excellent by indo standard), though it's a bit pricey.

Now here's the mixed review:
- when we got there, they gave us a nice, spacious, clean unit in a quiet block. I couldn't have asked for more.. I enjoyed it so much that i was willing to cancel my booking for my subsequent trip (simply so that i could stay here longer).
- after i told the hotel that i was extending my stay & because the unit that we stayed in was booked, we were moved to another unit further at the back. And this is when the holiday ended & the nightmare started. The Aircon leaked water, the room was dirty that we had to ask the cleaners to do extra work and in general it was the opposite of the pleasant stay that we experienced.. i spent all my time complaining & chasing up with the hotel .. but they did very little (it was busy time for them in dec).

I asked the hotel to arrange our transfer (speedboat to the main island, the road trip to see traditional village on the way to airport, etc) .. This turned out to be the most stressful part of the holiday.. the horse-drawn vehicles arrived very late & not enough for all of us, the long delay to get to the speed boat, the road-trip was very unpleasant. Although we already booked the driver+car, the driver was not aware of this arrangement & he was tasked to pick up another visitor, which meant we wouldn't have time to visit the traditional village..
in anger, i took the driver's phone & switched it off, I was already fuming & i couldn't let the hotel ruin the remainder of my holiday.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Handy T
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Good hotel, big pool, friendly staff. The Island Bungalow we got was spacious with outdoor bathroom. Bicycle was not free, you have to rent them for Rp. 75.000/24hr; the problem is, they do not come with the locks. You would have difficulty parking them around the island since you would be recommended to lock them should you leave them for other activities like snorkeling/fishing, dining, or even other attractions.

Sitting on the west part of the island, the hotel was sort of isolated, though. You would get the center of the town after 20 min cycling. The sandy path would require you to push your bike at times. Would not be a smooth ride; yup, I lost my reading glasses during the ride to town..

Once the sun is set, you would feel that you are trapped in the hotel. Going to town on bicycle? Don't even think of it. Too dark and those bikes are not equipped with lights. The cidomo (horse carts) would take you there, but then again, you don't see them a lot in front of the hotel. We ended up sitting down at the lobby most of the night 'playing' with our iPad & smart phones since the lobby is the only place where you would get good wiFi connection.

Fresh water shower is a good thing since some hotels there still use sea water. The pool though, is still filled with sea water.

They seem to have their own generator set there to supply the electricity to their own need. Somehow, at night, when most people turn on the air conditions, we experienced some electricity off. Quite bugging since you would have to turn on the air conditions again and again using the remote controller.

The staff though, was very helpful: We told the receptionist that we would like to get transferred to their sister hotel, Villa Ombak (located at the center of the activities) the next day despite of our 2 nights reservation; and he (Pak Herman? Unless I remember the name wrong...) called Villa Ombak right away and made it happen for us with some adjustment fee. Good for us since our two kids look really bored, then.

Breakfast? Not good. Could be better actually.

So: Stay there if you are the kind of person who likes quietness, maybe watch the beautiful sun set; but dont stay there if you are like me: The kind of person who would rather be in the center of activities/making sure you would be able to get snacks, or a tooth brush next store, in case you forgot to bring one..

Room Tip: Get the ones closer to the swimming pool/lobby. Again, the lobby is the only area having good wiFi.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed here after requesting a transfer from the Villa Omak at is was too crowed and busy for us honeymooners!

The staff were incredible. The wonderful and helpful Miss M at the front desk arranged for our tranfer and horse cart to and from the Villa Ombak.

The room was mangnificent, the fresh water shower, the superb king bed and spacious and warm decorating were delightful.

The pool was extrordinary - long, inviting and the cocktails and mocktails served at the pool bar were amazing.

The hotel is situated on the west side of the island, away from hustle and bustle of 'central' but close enough to ride / horse cart or walk into.

The food was excellent, and staff were accommodating to menu and dietary requests.

There was some construction happening but it was fairly benign and was less offensive than the crowds of central!

The only negative would be the quality of the bikes for hire. They need to be upgraded as there were issues with breaks and very unconfortalbe broken seats - they also need to provide locks and baskets.

We would definately recommend Ombak Sunset to any visitors to Gili T who are after a more tranquil and chilled experience than what is offered on central.

Thank you to ALL the staff at the hotel who were just beautiful in every sense. Thank you for a wonderful stay. Jo and Vernon

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank knxjojo
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I would like to say bunch of thanks to Pak Imam Wahyudi the General Manager, Marika from GVI Bali and Pak Arif Billah the General Manager of Legian Beach Hotel who recommended me this beautiful resort in Gili Trawangan. Located in the secluded part of island, where you can see the beautiful sunset, just like front of your eyes! whole part of sunset with ocean view. Got white and clean sandy beach, like no one there so whole beach its yours!. Good room with half open bathroom and got fresh water where very rare for some hotels and resorts there. Perfect for couple and honeymooners, unfortunately i was wit my girlfriend lol :-). Yummy breakfast and good presentation, got friendly staffs and can feel how they serve you with sincere heart :-). Big and nice Olympic size swimming pool and jacuzzi. Thanks to Mba Mila, Front Office Manager who very kind help and assist us. Got free massage for back massage and easy made us fallen a sleep, it is all depend on the therapist, and they did it!. Overall was good and we are looking forward to be back again for holiday soon :-). Cheers!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Honeypie78
Reviewed 8 April 2012

First, I would like to say thank you to my best friend who recommend this resort for me and my partners. It was an amazing to find a comfort place to spend your holiday after your routines out there. The room is good, 3 of us in the same room is ok and it still big enough. Here you can relax all day and night with their friendly staffs who try their best to service us at many times. Some of the staff maybe lack of English both oral and written but it's not a big deal if you can use your body language I think, sure they will learn by doing. Sunset point is here at Ombak Sunset!! where else? Their private beach is about 300 meters with sun bed or if you wanna some drink please have a seat at their bar called Sea Breeze, cozy big bar on the island. If you want to hang out for party you got to go to the eastern of the island, where many pub and bar offers their best too. Don't forget to ask flash light if any, coz it's dark when you back to the hotel at night. I will be back someday to this peaceful hotel. See you all again someday.

Room Tip: choose the closer to facilities area such lobby and restaurant. Call to hotel directly if you want b...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends