“Pictures look better than reality!”
Review of Hotel Ombak Sunset

Hotel Ombak Sunset
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Although the rooms were alright and the restaurant had a variety of different cuisines, my overall experience there was average. The pool is very dirty and when staff were asked how often they clean it, their answer was always "Kurang tau, ibu" which means they hadn't a clue. The location is far from the central so resorting to renting a bike for RP75,000 a day or hiring Cidomo (horse and cart) for RP75,000 per trip to central is necessary. The showers were very dirty but we got used to it by the third day. The beach in front has a lovely swing but there is a lot of coral and starfish so walking on it can get very painful and unpleasurable. Must warn guest that the bar on the beach in front had tried to scam us with our change by giving RP.50,000 less and when confronted they took the change back behind the bar and slyly picked up the rest of the change and counted it in front of us as if it had been that amount from the start.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CJLamb
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Ombak Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear CJLamb,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you very much for your time to write a review about your recent experience.

We are very sorry to learned that you didn't fully enjoy your stay with us.

Our pool is cleaned on a daily basis, however for the past couple of days, we are struggle with the chemical as it was not arrived from our suppliers especially since the Ramadhan holiday. And it will take sometimes until the chemical is arriving. As for the cleanliness of our public area, we have informed our concerned department for their immediate follow up and improvement. and for our staff behavior, we will have our concerned department to investigate and do the follow up.

Again, thank you very much for your kind review as this will be our improvement to serve our valuable guest better.

Hopefully, we will still be able to welcome you on your next holiday to Gili Trawangan.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Ombak Sunset

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I've been to the Gili Islands many times before, I know what to expect and I understand the way things are here. However I was left quite disappointed by my stay at this hotel. I was upset from the moment we arrived when I was instructed to pay for a 10% daily deposit by credit card with no prior notice. Luckily I had two credit cards because they did not accept my first.
When taken to the rooms they were ok, but considering the price we had paid it wasn't reflective of the quality, mainly due to poor upkeep.
We had an awful time almost every morning at breakfast which was totally overcrowded and couldn't cater for the number of guests. There was a terrible evening meal where I was supposed to break open a crab with my bare hands which was inside a curry! Luckily my boyfriend is a sea food expert but still he only managed to take out a teaspoon full of crab at the most. The chicken curry my father ordered had more bones than chicken and the evening was ruined by disappointing service following our complaints about the meal.
Although the room was 'cleaned' daily, strange things happened such as our used glasses never being washed out or replaced, but strangest of all had to be the towels. On day one we began with 3 body towels, 2 hand towels and 2 wash towels. By the end of the stay we had only 2 bath towels and one wash towel... Almost like the hotel had run out as it had filled up? Very strange!
There was no where to hang out wet beach wear on the balcony or in the bathroom.
There was a daily battle for the sun beds, especially ones with shade as numerous parasols were broken and not repaired during our stay.
The water also struggled during this time with unpredictable shower experiences.

Staff on the whole were friendly and the resort has the potential to be great, I feel it has just over reached itself and when expectations aren't met it makes you feel more let down than if you had chosen a cheaper place.
Maybe it was just the busiest week of its existence however surely the way in which you respond to the hardest of times shows your worth and unfortunately this hotel was a let down.

Room Tip: The bungalows looked much nicer.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Lar_85

Dear Lar_85,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you very much for your time to write a review about your previous experience.

It is very sad for us to learned that your stay was not as you have expected, and we are apology because of it. It is not in our standard of service to treat our valuable guest like that. Let us assured you that our concerned department has been inform that and they will do the improvement and follow up.

Just to let you know, our hotel policy for the deposit. We do take deposit for any incidental charges such as the usage of minbar, consumption in our restaurants, the usage of spa treatment, or any other things that might occurs. This is just to make it easier on the check out process so that our guest didn't surprised when they see the bill. And normally, we take credit card pre-authorization for the deposit, however we do accept cash which will be returned to you upon check out should there no additional bills. It depends on how long our guest stay, but for a minimum, we take equals to 1 night room charge for the deposit. Therefore, it doesn't have to be a credit card deposit, which may be a bit hassle due to the banks regulation in each origin country.

As for the dinner, we are very sorry that our staff did not provide you with the proper equipment. We will remind our concerned department regarding that.

Hopefully, we will still be able to welcome you again on your next holiday here.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

On the one hand, we had a good time at the hotel since it"s new, modern and very clean, all the staff was friendly and it includes a very good spa with massages.

However, we were disappointed by it"s quite dirty pool and its location: it"s at the dead west coast of the island and you need to walk 40minutes to reach the main strip with the habor, restaurants and all activities. Since there are no vehicles on the island, this was quite annoying. They do not rent bikes, so the only solution is to take a horse carriage...

Moreover the hotel restaurant is not that delicious, but luckily the only other option (5 minutes walk up north) is much better.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JosefWeber

Dear JosefWeber,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you very much for your time to write a review about your recent experience with us.

We are very sorry to learned that your stay was not as expected.

Our property indeed is located in the west part of the island which is more quite, more tranquil, and meant for those who seeks for relax without any disturbance from neighboring properties. Actually we do renting a bike for our guest to use, and you may ask for our staff assistance to get one if we ran out of bicycle due to the limitation.

However, we do thank you again for your review and this will be passed on the our concerned department for their immediate follow up and improvement.

Hopefully, we will still be able to welcome you again on your next holiday to Gili Trawangan.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I miss my laptop and several travel tickets when I was check out.
Lucky me, I still on Gili Trawangan when I realize that I left my laptop on hotel.
I contact the hotel staff and she arranged to deliver my laptop to me.
Although I waited a little bit long time, but I'm happy I can get my laptop back.

Several hours later, my mother said that she lost her handphone in Villa Ombak (one management with Ombak Sunset) when she and me waiting for my laptop from Ombak Sunset. Unfortunately I already left Gili and heading to Mataram. I was panic and try to contact hotel management.
Hotel management told that they found my mom handphone and want to deliver it to my hotel in Mataram. What a service !!!
And the hotel manager itself who delivered my mom handphone to Mataram. After they found the handpone, he directly delivered it to my hotel. I was amazed !

I'm really grateful I can got my things back and I will recomended this place to everyone :)

Other things, this place was good. Great room and facilities, nice staff (although there is one staff named Herman was unkindly to me but overall the staff was good).

If you go to Gili Trawangan, I think Villa Ombak or Ombak Sunset is the best choice for stay :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Ombak Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Sugiarto S,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you very much for your time to write a positive review about your previous experience.

It is and always been our pleasure to make sure that all of our guest stay is a safest and memorable one.

This is also to inform you that our properties are safe for everyone to enjoy.

Hopefully, we would be able to welcome you again on your next holiday to Gili Trawangan, either with your family or friends.

See you again on your next holiday.

Our regards to you and to your family,

Management of Hotel Ombak Sunset & Hotel Vila Ombak

Reviewed 8 August 2014

1) breakfast was too busy, too many people and not enough food. All tables were dirty and no one asked if we wanted coffee or tea. We had to hunt down a waiter ourselves and beg for tea.
2) claims to be an upmarket resort but it really isn't
3) service is quite shocking and unbelievably inefficient
4) aircon did cool down the room a little but not enough
5) the resort is massive but doesn't seem to have enough sun beds for everybody nor enough tables at breakfast
6) really far away from town
7) not good if you're Vegetarian or vegan
8) sun umbrellas by the pool are fixed to the ground so no shade for most of the day. I am blonde so I could not stay by the pool for long
9) room is very bbasic and the bathroom looks unfinished without a proper shower.
10) Wifiis real bad. You can load a page with a bit of patience but forget about loading a vid, attachments or play online

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Simonetta H,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

It is very sad for us to learned that your stay was not as you expected.

Kindly be inform that it was not in our standard to serve our valuable guest like that.

Rest assured that our concerned department has been inform about this, and will do the improvement and follow up so that it will not happened again in the future.

We do hope that we will still be able to welcome you again on your next holiday in Gili Trawangan.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Fantastic! A beautiful hotel, a 10 minutes biking (you should rent a bike on Gili Trawangan!) away from the bustling village you find the tranquility of this great hotel, very good breakfast, large rooms, clean, great swimming pool and indeed, every evening a wonderful sunset!

1  Thank Maaike v

Dear Maaike v,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you very much for your time to make a review about your previous experience.

We are very happy to learned that your stay was a memorable one.

Our property is indeed a very tranquil for those who seeks peaceful, comfort, away from the hip area and a romantic one.

We hope that we will still be able to welcome you again on your next holiday with your family.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel really needs improving quickly as we had a terrible experience here. The staff are unhelpful and room service takes numerous phone calls before you get anywhere ( and then your request is incomplete!) Breakfast time was a complete nightmare. The buffet was never stocked properly and it turned into a mission to get an egg prepared often queuing for more than 15 mins. To toast a piece of bread took 5 attempts of sliding it though to get anywhere near brown. You were never greeted by the staff on arrival to breakfast and often no tables were available or clean. Cocktails by the pool were appalling and took far too long to be prepared. This hotel needs to look at its staff and train them properly as customer service is not obviously a priority. We never ate dinner here and always travelled to the other side of the island where the choice of restaurants is abundant and delicious. We will not be staying here again in the dark rooms ( no natural light comes in!) and be warned- if you wish to swim in the sea outside hotel you can't. The coral makes it too dangerous. The photos on the website are deceiving and look like you can just step in the sea. The sunsets are amazing but thats not surprising as the hotel are not controlling this. Very very disappointing.

Room Tip: all rooms are dark but if you insist on going then book a bungalow.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Ombak Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear heather m,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you very much for your time to write a review regarding your experience.

We are very sorry for the inconveniences you had during your stay. Kindly be inform that it is not in our standard to serve our guest like that. Rest assured that our concerned department has been inform and will do the necessary for the improvement.

Again, thank you very much and wish you would still consider our property is the preferred accommodation for your holiday in Gili Trawangan.