When a friend told me that she needed time away from it all, I gave a lot of thought to where would be the best place to take her. She needed somewhere quiet but not too quiet, a place that would keep her entertained, and somewhere she could enjoy life’s creature comforts.
I had visited Gili Trawangan on a dive excursion from Lombok back in 2006 and remembered it as a beautiful oasis where cars and motorbikes are banned and yet there’s a party happening every night. Going on the reviews of other travellers on TripAdvisor, we booked a Deluxe Lumbung at the Vila Ombak.
On arrival at the hotel, we were taken to our lumbung which was nestled in the most beautiful garden surroundings. Check-in was painless and the staff were most helpful in getting us settled in.
The lumbung itself was amazing – possibly not the easiest place to manoeuvre in – but still great for us! Downstairs was a sun bed and hammock, which my friend absolutely loved when it got too hot during the middle of the day. Upstairs were two sun lounges and inside, the bedroom.
The room was well set out, so despite having four over-sized suitcases and a whole lot of clothes, we still felt like we had more than enough room. In addition, the internal decor was in keeping with the traditional thatched style so that even in the middle of the day, the room remained cool (though I would recommend keeping the A/C on just in case).
My favourite part though was definitely the outdoor bathroom. I must admit that the ‘Death Stairs’ leading down to the bathroom were not overly user friendly (especially after a night of cocktails at the hotel bar), but once you got used to navigating your way down, it wasn’t a huge deal. I absolutely loved the outdoor shower, but have to say that it takes some time to feel completely comfortable using the facilities in the open – still, it’s a novelty!
The rest of the site also met our expectations. The buffet breakfast was excellent and the restaurant staff were great, dinner at the hotel restaurant down on the beach was also brilliant (you can’t go past the Mexicana pizza!), and Happy Hour at the hotel bar kept us going each night and was fantastic value for money.
The spa was also great value for money – my friend and I had full body treatments which set us back around AUD$30 each. We were pummelled, scrubbed and pampered for over two hours – it was absolutely amazing!
Finally, I can highly recommend the dive school attached to the hotel. My friend had never dived before so we paid approximately AUD$60 each for an introductory lesson in the pool, and then a 45-minute dive to 12 metres. Our instructor, Rolf, runs the dive school and he was so professional, we couldn’t fault him. I’ve dived in a number of spots throughout the world and have to say that Gili Trawangan has some of the best marine life, and Rolf himself did a fantastic job of making my friend feel completely at ease during her first diving experience.
Overall, I cannot say enough positive things about my stay at Hotel Vila Ombak. The staff were all amazing, the accommodation was perfect and it felt like the closest that I have ever been to paradise.
After such a great experience, I will definitely be back...thank you, Vila Ombak!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Vila Ombak, the first international hotel on the magical island of Gili Trawangan, is a place that balances the comforts of first class accommodation with the natural beauty that surrounds.The Hotel Vila Ombak features the traditional building style of Lombok, and its neighboring islands, to blend harmoniously with the island's landscape.Hotel Vila Ombak is the winner of World Travel Awards as the Indonesia's Leading Hotel 2012, Indonesia Travel & Tourism Awards as Indonesia Leading Island Resort - Lombok 2013, and World Luxury Hotel Awards 2013 as the Indonesia Leading Hotel 2013. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Booking.com, Hotelopia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Hotel Vila Ombak reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vila Ombak Hotel
- Vila Ombak Gili Trawangan
- Hotel Vila Ombak Gili Islands/Gili Trawangan