“unexpected”
Review of Hotel Vila Ombak

Hotel Vila Ombak
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I thought that Vila Ombak Hotel - a 4-star hotel and the most well-known - would be great. In fact, I was disappointed with the room that I was supposed to be nice. The room is so small and you have to go down first by stairs if you want to take a shower so, it takes time to go toilet or bathroom. Most the furniture is old enough inclusive TV. I need sajadah for praying to the staff but their response was so long! The taste of food was so-so for breakfast and it was too crowded because of small space for breakfast room. The pros is because it faces the sea and main road directly. If I come back to Gili Trawangan, I dont want to stay again to this hotel with this price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear dewiranjani,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you for your time to share your experience with us.

We would like to apologies for the inconvenience that you had during your stay with us.

The room that you stayed is called Traditional Lumbung Hut. It is similar to the Lombok native house "Sasak" or we called rumah lumbung / Barn House whereas the bathroom is located downstairs and open air. But that is adding the uniqueness of this room. As for the Sajadah / praying mat, do accept our apology for the late delivery.

We will make sure that your review is forwarded to our concerned department. for their follow up.

Hopefully we are able to welcoming you again in the future.

With Kind Regards,

Management of Hotel Vila Ombak

Write a ReviewReviews (1,907)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

upon arrival at the reception there was some 20 people waiting and only 2 on reception. after finally being taken to the room we found it to be dark , old , desperately in need of renovation. we rejected the room and paid more to be upgraded.this room was clean , brighter , with a private outdoor area but widly expensive for what it was.
the main pool is dirty , the breakfast is a feeding frenzy for an average buffet. there are better options , Avoid !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Greggy_11
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Greggy_11,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you for your time to share your experience with us.

Please do accept our apologies for any inconvenience occurs during your stay here. We can assure you that it is not within our standard to give our guest a bad experience. We gave some room categories for our guest for them to choose, and off course our guest have each of their own preference about our rooms including yourself. As for our main pool, we do clean the pool on daily basis, and we admit that it is a bit of a challenge as to keep it clean since we are using a saline water which requires a different treatment compare to a fresh water pool. However, we are trying very hard to make it clean as it used to be.

Again, thank you very much for your kind review and we will make sure that your review is passed on the the concerned department for their immediate follow up.

Hopefully, we are be able to welcoming you again in the future and experience the true Hotel Vila Ombak hospitality.

Regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I can't believe villa ombak has a 4 star rating! I'm not usually the type to complain but our experience was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

I can deal with run down rooms but the outdoor bathroom with shower and toilet was so putrid we avoided using it.

I paid for a suite with a semi private jacuzzi to have several families who weren't staying on the terrace make use of the pool and day beds while we waited around to use the facilities we paid a considerable amount extra for.

The service was shocking. While laying but the pool (only 11am so not a busy time) over the period of an hour my partner asked for a menu 5 times before someone finally brought one.

The hotel has a stand out the front where you can arrange water sports. We decided to spend a few hours snorkeling one morning. We were told it would cost 1,000,000 rupiah and it would need to be paid when we returned from snorkeling. Our captain advised that he wouldn't be getting in the water with us which we were fine with - little did we know he was using this time to go through our belongings. After the snorkeling we returned to the stand to pay and noticed that there was only 800,000 in my purse even though I had the exact 1,000,000 when I got on the boat. My partner went back to our room to get more money (to pay for the extra 500,000 we agreed on during the snorkel to go to gili air). We paid the originally agreed 1,000,000 and when the captain asked for the extra 500,000 I told him we wouldn't be paying more than an extra 300,000 because he already stole 200,000 from my purse and he shamefully said "ok" before walking off.

Our short 3 day experience wasn't one I'll be sharing with family and friends. There's no way I'll be recommending villa ombak to anyone

1  Thank Larockaa
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Larockaa,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you very much for you to spare your valuable time to write your experience during your stay with us.

Please do accept our deepest apology for the inconvenience caused that occurs.

Kindly be assure that it is not within our standard to service our guest like that.

We are running through an investigation to the concerned department in regards to the matters and will reply to your private email sent to us as well.

Hopefully you will be staying with us again in the future and expereince the true Hotel Vila Ombak hospitality.

Regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed in Vila Ombak for a week on May. I work in hotels and many of my guest travel to Gili T so I wanted to try it out and be able to give first hand recommendations. After what I heard about the place I was expecting a lot more...

The hotel is OK as a budget hotel and if they would charged half of the price. But for what you pay you certainly dont get the value and you can find much nicer places.

Pros:

- Location
- Nice pool
- Size of the room quite big
- Good AC

Cons:

- Hotel beach was so dirty with plastics we could not swim there
- Breakfast service and quality was simply terrible. Even it was included we preferred to go next door to have proper coffee and pastry
- Rooms are very old and not well maintain
- Bathrooms are open so you can hear everything from your neighbor (I mean everything) so this was probably the most disappointing thing during the whole stay. It was really disgusting
- Our shower drainage was blocked from day 1. I called many several times but it was still stuck on our last day

If the management take interest this could be an amazing product. I would never be back or recommend this hotel to any of my friends/ guests.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel after arriving by boat from Bali at around 10.30am
We were welcomed with a welcome drink which was nice but then to be told that check in doesn't start until 2pm.
I don't understand how check in is so late when all the boat's are arriving in the morning and leaving just before lunch time. We were just hot and uncomfortable after our boat ride and wanted to go straight to our room.

They looked after our suitcases for us and the guy who was checking us in said that he'd "come find us" if our room was avaliable any earlier.
I doubted he'd go out of his way to look around Gili T to come find my partner and I so we just stayed at the pool and had something to eat. (Which was pretty average as well)
We waited and had a swim in the nice pool with swim-up bar until eventually it was after 2pm so my partner went to see if our room was ready. The lady wasn't sure so just gave my partner the key to our room and we got our luggage and went off to go find our room.

I felt they were a bit understaffed so it was a bit annoying having to go to our room and figure out where everything was.
The room we stayed in was okay. The front door didn't open or shut properly because it wasn't cut right to fit the door frame. The bathroom and bedroom itself was very dark! Could hardly see myself in the mirror and 2 lightbulbs had blown in the room when we arrived.
They serviced your room every morning but all they did was turn the duvet the other way round and left the sheets as they were the whole 4 days we were there.
We were in an upstairs room and the hand rail walking up the stairs was basically falling apart. If you gave it a good kick there would be no hand rail. The outside needed a good sweep or clean as well.

We should have said something now that I think about it but in our room deal we also had a free couples massage and free lunch/dinner that we never got and forgot about until we got back to Seminyak which was a bit disappointing.

Other than that. It's in a good location (right across from the beach) with maybe a few boats in the way.
We were told you could snorkel there (which we did) but you couldn't see anything so it was a waste of time really.
The pool had a good seat up with ping pong and giant chess as well near by. The breakfast was good.
I probably wouldn't go here again but if you're on a budget and you don't mind a couple of lizards in your room at night than it's okay.

1  Thank NewZealandSarah91
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear NewZealandSarah91,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

First of all, on behalf of all staff, we would like to apologies for any inconvenience you had during your stay with us and thank you for the time to share your experience with us.

It is with a great concern that we learned about your unpleasant experience. and we can assure you that all of that was not in our standard to treat our guest. We will make sure that your review will be passed on to the concerned department for their immediate investigation and follow up.

Again, thank you very much for your kind information and hopefully we can welcome you again in the future.

With Kind Regards,

Reviewed 27 June 2014

my honeymoon become so complete with its exotic with the design like a traditional lombok barn,

a lot of backpacker gathered at night watching the opened giant screen movie.

snorkling, riding a horse or traditional cart called cidomo for exploring the island were a new experience to me.

it is really a place for a gateway and vila ombak complete all the experiences

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Chornea
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed in the terrace room for 3 nights. Staff were nice except for the 'customer relations' staff who were not helpful or friendly at all! Some other negatives would be that the towels are in such bad condition that's they're discoloured, tatty and thin. They also didn't replace them, on the second day I put them on the floor to make it obvious we wanted them changed but they took them without giving us more. Pool wasn't clean, really mouldy with dirt in the water. The ground was dirty also with cigarette butts. Not as nice as the pictures.
The beach area was really nice though, would recommend that over the pool. There are also a lot of facilities around this hotel and close to everything.
Overall I don't believe this place was worth the money but still compared to other hotels this is probably a good option for the island!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Hayley G,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

We thanked you for your time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

Do accept our apology for the unhelpful staff we have as it is not in our standard to serve our guest without courtesy. Our concerned department has been informed about this as well and will take a necessary action about this. In regards to bad towels condition and the dirty ground, we have inform our Housekeeping department to be follow up accordingly. We did clean our ground twice a day everyday in the morning and afternoon to make sure that all area are clean as expected. However, thank you again for the review.

Hopefully, we will have the chance to welcome you again in the near future to experience the real Hotel Vila Ombak hospitality.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gili Trawangan
#3 of 38 in Gili Trawangan
MAHAMAYA Gili Meno
MAHAMAYA Gili Meno
#1 of 11 in Gili Meno

Been to Hotel Vila Ombak? Share your experiences!