“I loved this hotel, the service is the only reason it is not 5 star...”
Review of Hotel Vila Ombak

Hotel Vila Ombak
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Richmond, Canada
“I loved this hotel, the service is the only reason it is not 5 star...”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, but the service sucked. They were rude and sleazy.

First let us get talking about check-in: we get there and there is a ton of people and two receptionists. We finally get to the front and ask for an upgrade, apparently they can't do it and have to refer us to someone. Well, that someone was so sleazy. He wouldn't tell us how much upgrades were and insisted on showing us every room available before he would let us make a decision. All we wanted was an upgrade to the next level of room because we read that the basic rooms were pretty gross. However, this process was ridiculous. We finally made a decision and asked "how much", which he responded with "whatever you want to give me". In this situation I was uncomfortable, I didn't know how much to give or what the room was worth. He told us to discuss and see him later, but then proceeded to keep calling our room harassing us to "come see him when we had time" until we finally just gave him some money to leave us alone. This made me feel uneasy and I would have much rather had paid for the full upgrade and avoided this issue.

Second: The service. Everyone there was arrogant with an attitude. The pool bar had taken a menu from the restaurant across the street and when I tried to order a milkshake (which was ON the menu) they laughed at me and told me no. They don't listen to customers and do whatever they want.

Third: We were sitting at a table, went to get some food from the breakfast buffet and when we returned to our seats they sat someone at our table. They then tried to tell me it was my fault because I didn't leave something there when the only thing I had to leave was my camera. I'm not going to leave my camera on a table... A polite apology and a new table would have been fine, but telling me that it was my fault was rude.

However, on to the positive!

1. It is a beautiful hotel and the room we had was lovely. Having the shower outside was pretty cool and took some getting used to. There is no fresh water plumbing so I really appreciated the fresh water tap we could use after swimming in the salt water pool.

2. The pool with the waterfall is beautiful and I love how the water is pretty deep.

3. It is right on the strip, you're steps away from oceans and the best restaurants.

4. I enjoy the two refills of water in the room daily. The make-up and turn-down services both provide two bottled waters. It is a nice gesture and very much appreciated. Also I liked the fruit that was put in the room as a welcome, very thoughtful.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an upgrade to the rooms on the opposite side, they're a bit of a walk but much...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aussa2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
South Kalimantan, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I thought that Vila Ombak Hotel - a 4-star hotel and the most well-known - would be great. In fact, I was disappointed with the room that I was supposed to be nice. The room is so small and you have to go down first by stairs if you want to take a shower so, it takes time to go toilet or bathroom. Most the furniture is old enough inclusive TV. I need sajadah for praying to the staff but their response was so long! The taste of food was so-so for breakfast and it was too crowded because of small space for breakfast room. The pros is because it faces the sea and main road directly. If I come back to Gili Trawangan, I dont want to stay again to this hotel with this price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear dewiranjani,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you for your time to share your experience with us.

We would like to apologies for the inconvenience that you had during your stay with us.

The room that you stayed is called Traditional Lumbung Hut. It is similar to the Lombok native house "Sasak" or we called rumah lumbung / Barn House whereas the bathroom is located downstairs and open air. But that is adding the uniqueness of this room. As for the Sajadah / praying mat, do accept our apology for the late delivery.

We will make sure that your review is forwarded to our concerned department. for their follow up.

Hopefully we are able to welcoming you again in the future.

With Kind Regards,

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 2 July 2014

upon arrival at the reception there was some 20 people waiting and only 2 on reception. after finally being taken to the room we found it to be dark , old , desperately in need of renovation. we rejected the room and paid more to be upgraded.this room was clean , brighter , with a private outdoor area but widly expensive for what it was.
the main pool is dirty , the breakfast is a feeding frenzy for an average buffet. there are better options , Avoid !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Greggy_11
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Greggy_11,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you for your time to share your experience with us.

Please do accept our apologies for any inconvenience occurs during your stay here. We can assure you that it is not within our standard to give our guest a bad experience. We gave some room categories for our guest for them to choose, and off course our guest have each of their own preference about our rooms including yourself. As for our main pool, we do clean the pool on daily basis, and we admit that it is a bit of a challenge as to keep it clean since we are using a saline water which requires a different treatment compare to a fresh water pool. However, we are trying very hard to make it clean as it used to be.

Again, thank you very much for your kind review and we will make sure that your review is passed on the the concerned department for their immediate follow up.

Hopefully, we are be able to welcoming you again in the future and experience the true Hotel Vila Ombak hospitality.

Regards,

Perth
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I can't believe villa ombak has a 4 star rating! I'm not usually the type to complain but our experience was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

I can deal with run down rooms but the outdoor bathroom with shower and toilet was so putrid we avoided using it.

I paid for a suite with a semi private jacuzzi to have several families who weren't staying on the terrace make use of the pool and day beds while we waited around to use the facilities we paid a considerable amount extra for.

The service was shocking. While laying but the pool (only 11am so not a busy time) over the period of an hour my partner asked for a menu 5 times before someone finally brought one.

The hotel has a stand out the front where you can arrange water sports. We decided to spend a few hours snorkeling one morning. We were told it would cost 1,000,000 rupiah and it would need to be paid when we returned from snorkeling. Our captain advised that he wouldn't be getting in the water with us which we were fine with - little did we know he was using this time to go through our belongings. After the snorkeling we returned to the stand to pay and noticed that there was only 800,000 in my purse even though I had the exact 1,000,000 when I got on the boat. My partner went back to our room to get more money (to pay for the extra 500,000 we agreed on during the snorkel to go to gili air). We paid the originally agreed 1,000,000 and when the captain asked for the extra 500,000 I told him we wouldn't be paying more than an extra 300,000 because he already stole 200,000 from my purse and he shamefully said "ok" before walking off.

Our short 3 day experience wasn't one I'll be sharing with family and friends. There's no way I'll be recommending villa ombak to anyone

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Larockaa
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Larockaa,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you very much for you to spare your valuable time to write your experience during your stay with us.

Please do accept our deepest apology for the inconvenience caused that occurs.

Kindly be assure that it is not within our standard to service our guest like that.

We are running through an investigation to the concerned department in regards to the matters and will reply to your private email sent to us as well.

Hopefully you will be staying with us again in the future and expereince the true Hotel Vila Ombak hospitality.

Regards,

Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed in Vila Ombak for a week on May. I work in hotels and many of my guest travel to Gili T so I wanted to try it out and be able to give first hand recommendations. After what I heard about the place I was expecting a lot more...

The hotel is OK as a budget hotel and if they would charged half of the price. But for what you pay you certainly dont get the value and you can find much nicer places.

Pros:

- Location
- Nice pool
- Size of the room quite big
- Good AC

Cons:

- Hotel beach was so dirty with plastics we could not swim there
- Breakfast service and quality was simply terrible. Even it was included we preferred to go next door to have proper coffee and pastry
- Rooms are very old and not well maintain
- Bathrooms are open so you can hear everything from your neighbor (I mean everything) so this was probably the most disappointing thing during the whole stay. It was really disgusting
- Our shower drainage was blocked from day 1. I called many several times but it was still stuck on our last day

If the management take interest this could be an amazing product. I would never be back or recommend this hotel to any of my friends/ guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel after arriving by boat from Bali at around 10.30am
We were welcomed with a welcome drink which was nice but then to be told that check in doesn't start until 2pm.
I don't understand how check in is so late when all the boat's are arriving in the morning and leaving just before lunch time. We were just hot and uncomfortable after our boat ride and wanted to go straight to our room.

They looked after our suitcases for us and the guy who was checking us in said that he'd "come find us" if our room was avaliable any earlier.
I doubted he'd go out of his way to look around Gili T to come find my partner and I so we just stayed at the pool and had something to eat. (Which was pretty average as well)
We waited and had a swim in the nice pool with swim-up bar until eventually it was after 2pm so my partner went to see if our room was ready. The lady wasn't sure so just gave my partner the key to our room and we got our luggage and went off to go find our room.

I felt they were a bit understaffed so it was a bit annoying having to go to our room and figure out where everything was.
The room we stayed in was okay. The front door didn't open or shut properly because it wasn't cut right to fit the door frame. The bathroom and bedroom itself was very dark! Could hardly see myself in the mirror and 2 lightbulbs had blown in the room when we arrived.
They serviced your room every morning but all they did was turn the duvet the other way round and left the sheets as they were the whole 4 days we were there.
We were in an upstairs room and the hand rail walking up the stairs was basically falling apart. If you gave it a good kick there would be no hand rail. The outside needed a good sweep or clean as well.

We should have said something now that I think about it but in our room deal we also had a free couples massage and free lunch/dinner that we never got and forgot about until we got back to Seminyak which was a bit disappointing.

Other than that. It's in a good location (right across from the beach) with maybe a few boats in the way.
We were told you could snorkel there (which we did) but you couldn't see anything so it was a waste of time really.
The pool had a good seat up with ping pong and giant chess as well near by. The breakfast was good.
I probably wouldn't go here again but if you're on a budget and you don't mind a couple of lizards in your room at night than it's okay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NewZealandSarah91
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear NewZealandSarah91,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

First of all, on behalf of all staff, we would like to apologies for any inconvenience you had during your stay with us and thank you for the time to share your experience with us.

It is with a great concern that we learned about your unpleasant experience. and we can assure you that all of that was not in our standard to treat our guest. We will make sure that your review will be passed on to the concerned department for their immediate investigation and follow up.

Again, thank you very much for your kind information and hopefully we can welcome you again in the future.

With Kind Regards,

Jakarta
Reviewed 27 June 2014

my honeymoon become so complete with its exotic with the design like a traditional lombok barn,

a lot of backpacker gathered at night watching the opened giant screen movie.

snorkling, riding a horse or traditional cart called cidomo for exploring the island were a new experience to me.

it is really a place for a gateway and vila ombak complete all the experiences

• Stayed August 2013