“disappointing...”
Review of Hotel Vila Ombak

Hotel Vila Ombak
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I tried to shower at the hotel and everything was salty. I had to wait for the water in the small bucket cause that was the only fresh water I could get. I was awakened by mosquitoes and insects in the middle of the night. Breakfast was very mediocre and when I left to go get something else, a cat jumped to my table and ate my food. The location wasn't great either, it was a little far from the sandy area where you can actually play in the sand and water

My room, however, was spacious (got the deluxe room) and I actually liked the setting of the bathroom which was located outside the room and in the open. The beds were a little squeaky but that was okay. I wouldn't recommend this place to people though, it didn't look like the pictures on the website and clearly I was disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear steffiemhalim,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

First of all, allow us to thank you for your time to write a review about your recent stay with us. In regards to that, please allow us to apology for the inconvenience you had. Our bathroom water indeed a saline water, just like most of the accommodation here in Gili. However, more to the center of the island, the water is not as saline of those who are near the beach area. Fortunately, we do provide a fresh water in a traditional bucket in each of our guest bathroom for you to rinse up. It is because, all the fresh water in the island, we bought it from the mainland on a daily basis and it is very limited. As for the insect or mosquitoes, we do provide a electric mosquitoes repellent in each room or you can always ask our housekeeping to deliver it to the room. As for he breakfast, we do apology that it doesn't suits to your taste, however, there are plenty of selection for you to choose. And for the cat who jumped to your table while you left the table to get something else, as in the island there are many cats, and there are no dogs allowed here, their population is growing fast. However, here in the island we have a program to control the cats together with the animal preserve organization. We are very sorry for the inconvenience, and you can always ask our staff to move the cat or to get you a new plate of breakfast.

Thank you very much for the room compliment, just for your information, next time you stay again with us, try not to open the door (bathroom / main entrance) to avoid mosquitoes or insect entering your room as this is an island.

Hopefully, you will then again visit us on your next holiday.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Vila Ombak

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was here with my family in 2006 and really fell in love with the place. I've been wanting to come back ever since. The place is more tired now, but still pretty nice.
The location is great, very close to the beach, - and the rooms are cosy (we stayed in one of the bungalows). The bathroom is partly under open air, so when you are taking a shower in the dark you can look at the stars. It is lovely!
The staff was nicer the last time I was here - efficiency could really be better. They are still nice, but the place seems bigger now and more mechanical.
The breakfast was great! The wifi was poor.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Lise123333,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Welcome back again and thank you very much for your time to write a review about your recent stay.

We will make sure that your review is forwarded to the concerned department for their improvement.

See you again next time.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, but the service sucked. They were rude and sleazy.

First let us get talking about check-in: we get there and there is a ton of people and two receptionists. We finally get to the front and ask for an upgrade, apparently they can't do it and have to refer us to someone. Well, that someone was so sleazy. He wouldn't tell us how much upgrades were and insisted on showing us every room available before he would let us make a decision. All we wanted was an upgrade to the next level of room because we read that the basic rooms were pretty gross. However, this process was ridiculous. We finally made a decision and asked "how much", which he responded with "whatever you want to give me". In this situation I was uncomfortable, I didn't know how much to give or what the room was worth. He told us to discuss and see him later, but then proceeded to keep calling our room harassing us to "come see him when we had time" until we finally just gave him some money to leave us alone. This made me feel uneasy and I would have much rather had paid for the full upgrade and avoided this issue.

Second: The service. Everyone there was arrogant with an attitude. The pool bar had taken a menu from the restaurant across the street and when I tried to order a milkshake (which was ON the menu) they laughed at me and told me no. They don't listen to customers and do whatever they want.

Third: We were sitting at a table, went to get some food from the breakfast buffet and when we returned to our seats they sat someone at our table. They then tried to tell me it was my fault because I didn't leave something there when the only thing I had to leave was my camera. I'm not going to leave my camera on a table... A polite apology and a new table would have been fine, but telling me that it was my fault was rude.

However, on to the positive!

1. It is a beautiful hotel and the room we had was lovely. Having the shower outside was pretty cool and took some getting used to. There is no fresh water plumbing so I really appreciated the fresh water tap we could use after swimming in the salt water pool.

2. The pool with the waterfall is beautiful and I love how the water is pretty deep.

3. It is right on the strip, you're steps away from oceans and the best restaurants.

4. I enjoy the two refills of water in the room daily. The make-up and turn-down services both provide two bottled waters. It is a nice gesture and very much appreciated. Also I liked the fruit that was put in the room as a welcome, very thoughtful.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an upgrade to the rooms on the opposite side, they're a bit of a walk but much...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aussa2012
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I thought that Vila Ombak Hotel - a 4-star hotel and the most well-known - would be great. In fact, I was disappointed with the room that I was supposed to be nice. The room is so small and you have to go down first by stairs if you want to take a shower so, it takes time to go toilet or bathroom. Most the furniture is old enough inclusive TV. I need sajadah for praying to the staff but their response was so long! The taste of food was so-so for breakfast and it was too crowded because of small space for breakfast room. The pros is because it faces the sea and main road directly. If I come back to Gili Trawangan, I dont want to stay again to this hotel with this price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear dewiranjani,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you for your time to share your experience with us.

We would like to apologies for the inconvenience that you had during your stay with us.

The room that you stayed is called Traditional Lumbung Hut. It is similar to the Lombok native house "Sasak" or we called rumah lumbung / Barn House whereas the bathroom is located downstairs and open air. But that is adding the uniqueness of this room. As for the Sajadah / praying mat, do accept our apology for the late delivery.

We will make sure that your review is forwarded to our concerned department. for their follow up.

Hopefully we are able to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

upon arrival at the reception there was some 20 people waiting and only 2 on reception. after finally being taken to the room we found it to be dark , old , desperately in need of renovation. we rejected the room and paid more to be upgraded.this room was clean , brighter , with a private outdoor area but widly expensive for what it was.
the main pool is dirty , the breakfast is a feeding frenzy for an average buffet. there are better options , Avoid !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Greggy_11
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Greggy_11,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you for your time to share your experience with us.

Please do accept our apologies for any inconvenience occurs during your stay here. We can assure you that it is not within our standard to give our guest a bad experience. We gave some room categories for our guest for them to choose, and off course our guest have each of their own preference about our rooms including yourself. As for our main pool, we do clean the pool on daily basis, and we admit that it is a bit of a challenge as to keep it clean since we are using a saline water which requires a different treatment compare to a fresh water pool. However, we are trying very hard to make it clean as it used to be.

Again, thank you very much for your kind review and we will make sure that your review is passed on the the concerned department for their immediate follow up.

Hopefully, we are be able to welcoming you again in the future and experience the true Hotel Vila Ombak hospitality.

Regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I can't believe villa ombak has a 4 star rating! I'm not usually the type to complain but our experience was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

I can deal with run down rooms but the outdoor bathroom with shower and toilet was so putrid we avoided using it.

I paid for a suite with a semi private jacuzzi to have several families who weren't staying on the terrace make use of the pool and day beds while we waited around to use the facilities we paid a considerable amount extra for.

The service was shocking. While laying but the pool (only 11am so not a busy time) over the period of an hour my partner asked for a menu 5 times before someone finally brought one.

The hotel has a stand out the front where you can arrange water sports. We decided to spend a few hours snorkeling one morning. We were told it would cost 1,000,000 rupiah and it would need to be paid when we returned from snorkeling. Our captain advised that he wouldn't be getting in the water with us which we were fine with - little did we know he was using this time to go through our belongings. After the snorkeling we returned to the stand to pay and noticed that there was only 800,000 in my purse even though I had the exact 1,000,000 when I got on the boat. My partner went back to our room to get more money (to pay for the extra 500,000 we agreed on during the snorkel to go to gili air). We paid the originally agreed 1,000,000 and when the captain asked for the extra 500,000 I told him we wouldn't be paying more than an extra 300,000 because he already stole 200,000 from my purse and he shamefully said "ok" before walking off.

Our short 3 day experience wasn't one I'll be sharing with family and friends. There's no way I'll be recommending villa ombak to anyone

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Larockaa
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Larockaa,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you very much for you to spare your valuable time to write your experience during your stay with us.

Please do accept our deepest apology for the inconvenience caused that occurs.

Kindly be assure that it is not within our standard to service our guest like that.

We are running through an investigation to the concerned department in regards to the matters and will reply to your private email sent to us as well.

Hopefully you will be staying with us again in the future and expereince the true Hotel Vila Ombak hospitality.

Regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed in Vila Ombak for a week on May. I work in hotels and many of my guest travel to Gili T so I wanted to try it out and be able to give first hand recommendations. After what I heard about the place I was expecting a lot more...

The hotel is OK as a budget hotel and if they would charged half of the price. But for what you pay you certainly dont get the value and you can find much nicer places.

Pros:

- Location
- Nice pool
- Size of the room quite big
- Good AC

Cons:

- Hotel beach was so dirty with plastics we could not swim there
- Breakfast service and quality was simply terrible. Even it was included we preferred to go next door to have proper coffee and pastry
- Rooms are very old and not well maintain
- Bathrooms are open so you can hear everything from your neighbor (I mean everything) so this was probably the most disappointing thing during the whole stay. It was really disgusting
- Our shower drainage was blocked from day 1. I called many several times but it was still stuck on our last day

If the management take interest this could be an amazing product. I would never be back or recommend this hotel to any of my friends/ guests.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple