“Mixed feelings ”

Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
London, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings ”
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Visited here for part of our honeymoon, this was the most expensive hotel of our trip costing £150+ a night for a deluxe family bungalow and I don't think it was worth that. I'm glad we didn't pay extra for the beach bungalows as our impression was you got a bit of private beach with these, which you don't. The positives were staff were all very happy and tried to be helpful and the grounds are lovely and well kept. The room was big and clean with a big bathroom. We booked a private boat snorkelling around the islands with the hotel this was amazing. We saw lots of different fish and turtles and our guide snorkelling was great! Now the negatives, nowhere near enough sun beds by the pool or beach, maybe 20 at each when there are 100+ rooms is not enough! So then you are left to pay somewhere for a sun bed after already paying ALOT for the hotel or lie on the beach which is not soft and sandy but covered in dead rough coral. Toiletries in the bathroom were never restocked. Room was not cleaned until 2/3pm in the afternoon. Our boat to Gili T was cancelled due to bad weather so we flew and arranged the "private" transfer with Vila Ombak. Arrive at lombok fine, get in the car, first thing we have to do is pay for the guys parking so we can leave, why don't they give them parking money! The guy drives like a maniac to the point where we had several very near misses and I was feeling very sick and he spoke no English so we couldn't ask him to slow down or how far it was. Finally arrive at the little harbour, after dark, there's nothing there no one to offer even a water, we have to wait for another couple about 10 minutes then were asked did we mind waiting 20 minutes for some more , we said no we had been travelling for 7 hours. In the mean time very conveniently the staff slowly loaded our bags on so by the time they were finished the other people arrived. Eventually we get on the boat, and set off only to turn around 2 minutes later to collect someone else! So what should have taken 20 minutes took an hour for a private transfer when we had to wait for others...arrived at Vila Ombak jetty at 8.15pm, no one there to help with our bags or show to reception, if it was very late at night I could understand but it was 2015 and they should have been expecting us! So we wandered around until my husband asked someone where reception was, the girl in reception did give us money off the price we had paid but really all we wanted was to not have had all the problems with the transfer and to be greeted as you would expect upon arrival at a luxury and expensive hotel! I would not stay here again and would advise others to look around as I don't feel it offers value for money.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Unlike most people who book short stays we made this our main summer family holiday and booked 9 nights.

The island is mainly occupied by back-packers nowadays who come to the island for the party scene. Meaning all night raves of deafening ( and I mean all - night and I mean fully amped-up rave music) noise. And of course meaning drugs which I saw being traded on the main path and I saw some pretty ill people too! Sad very sad.

Night after night I got to sleep around either 3am or 4am and then on the Full Moon night - the island was packed for a party which started at 6pm and trailed off at 7am - I did not sleep a wink that night. By 5.30am I was so miserable and so tired I walked to the Reception to complain and asked to speak to a manager. There was not one and I never got a call or visit from anyone in management. I had clearly explained the problems we were having. I started counting down the time to leave! I got home today and am knackered and crashing in bed early. Not really what I expect to feel after a " holiday"!

There are so many other more minor issues which I wrote to the hotel manager. Things like there is little security so our Lambung Villa pool was used daily ( and abused) by people who were not staying here but just using the pool. They threw the pool beds into the pool and our tandem bike went missing. It was a free for all.

The music in the main evening restaurant was terrible and loud. Not surprising therefore that it was hardly used at night.

Hygiene in the rooms - not great. With a quick dry mop around the main bedroom floor, the dust and spiders were amassing in the corners. And the glass door between the bedroom and bathroom was filthy and remained filthy for the whole 9 days until I asked the man to clean it for the next guests! The inside of the fridges in both rooms were filthy! I could not see any cleaning fluids on the cleaning trolleys other than glass cleaner.

The pool towel shortage was still going on during our stay. Meaning, the pool towels were pretty old and grotty but your had to keep them for days because there were no replacements. Some days there were clean ones around 4pm when they arrived from Lombok.

Different housekeepers ( all smiling and polite) had next door rooms to clean and there was not an obvious system. The cleaning time was after 4pm on many days with no clean at all on one day because the housekeeper came around 5pm when we were already back in our room and napping. I called housekeeping to ask for am cleans but it never happened. It was hopeless. Where was the Housekeeping manager? Who does the rota? Who would not notice piles of room service dishes on tables, outside rooms, by smoking bins and not think to clear them? Surely the restaurant knows where it has delivered meals and if it has no system to collect all those plates in that heat what does the restaurant think will happen to those dishes? Armies of ants. And in the absence of a working and effective system from the restaurant, surely the housekeepers could make a call to remind them? And failing that, the Housekeeping Manager ( if there is one) should be checking the quality each day anyway - and could notice?! Really bad service all round. Amateur! But expensive hotel for this level of service and poor quality. But these are processes and systems which could easily be put in place by trained Hotel and Catering Management.

Except for the groundsmen. Hats off to the hardworking gardeners who do seem to have a system and are hard at work from 7am sweeping and tidying the borders and making the best of the grounds. Cheerful, polite and courteous. Even at night the grounds are pretty with lights in the trees and borders.

Dishes from meals ordered for room service remained in piles around the place ( as I mentioned above) and yet several waiters a day would walk right past them and not observe or use their own initiative to collect them. A couple downstairs had regular expresso's ordered and so a little army of expresso cups started piling up by the bin by the pool. Each day the housekeepers parked trolleys next to them but never cleared them. I even asked one to treat the ants because they were everywhere. He sprayed them all but left all the cups!

The location is good on the island. The dive school sited at this hotel is good according to my family members who dive.

Being a sailor I am worried by the quality of boats, meaning seaworthiness and the staff operating them and in fact today on the news sadly 15 people died on a boat crossing from Gili to Komodo.

Someone can be doing that crossing for 5 years from Lombok to Gili but can be doing it poorly for 5 years. Reversing the boats, revving into the sand and not tying classic mooring knots are really sure signs of untrained and unskilled people in these vital safety roles. Tragic. Our boat transfer was poor. Poor mooring skills. Not good knowledge, obviously. No safety jackets. And then during our stay the pontoon split in the wind. And I mean it broke in half! Another reason not to risk it.

The cinema is a great idea. Outside under the stars and good choice of movies. Could be quite magical. But then the ( very out of tune live singing) music from the restaurant next door starts up to drown out the cinema. It does not take a lot of joined up thinking to work out that those two are in opposition to each other not complementary.

If you go to the island ( and to stay at Vila Ombak or elsewhere) go with your eyes wide open and ask yourself first if you really want to spend both your time and your tourist dollars here. I would not and I will be much more circumspect about my holiday bookings in the future. The very mixed reviews of this hotel did worry us and we even phoned up before we arrived to double-check with the hotel but we chose to go anyway. That was our expensive mistake. Don't make it yours.

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Amanda S
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Amanda S,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you very much for your time to write an encourage review about your recent experience.

It will be seriously taken care by the management.

We do still hope that you will be coming back again to our property and experience the true Hotel Vila Ombak hospitality.

Bronte
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We were travelling through Indonesia for 3 weeks and stayed here for 4 nights. I was a bit concerned prior to our stay due to the recent comments on here. However I was assured by my agent that the property was great and not to be swayed by trip advisor.
Lets start with the pros - the location is great - close to great eatery's and across the road from the beach but far enough away from the nightclubs that can get quite loud if too close!
Our villa was ok - it could do with a revamp and a new coat of paint. The bathroom was nice and the private pool was great as the main pool at the hotel looked very run down and grimy so it was nice to have our own!
The cons - the service! The staff were less than helpful. We would also leave our breakfast and coffee mugs at the front door to be collected and they would sit out there all day. I ordered a drink when we arrived and left the glass next to the pool - this glass stayed there until we checked out!
Do not got to the restaurant to have your breakfast - its chaos! Order breakfast and eat in your room. Especially if you have a private pool villa - much nicer to eat next to your pool than with a herd of hungry people! (even if the plates take 24hrs to be collected!)
From what I saw there isn't very much to choose from in regards to accommodation on the island, this place could be good if the service was stepped up a few notches and the entire property was given a facelift. That said you don't go to the Gilis to stay in your hotel / resort as there is so much to do on the island and surrounding islands!

Room Tip: Choose the Villa with private pool
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Shelleigh7,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Thank you very much for your time to write a review about your recent experience.

Kindly be informed that your review is truly a correction for us what had gone wrong. Our concerned department has been inform in regards to this and will make sure that the same thing will not happened again.

Once more, we thanked you for the review and hopefully we will still be able to welcome you again on your next holiday.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Love the ocean view, the villa decor, and friendly service.
However, breakfast spread was so so, and I couldn't sleep well because of the mosquito attack! There was an army hidden in my villa & I was pretty much eaten alive at night :(

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank yySing
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear yySing,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

Please do accept our apology for the inconvenience you had by the mosquitoes attack. We do provide an electric mosquito extinguisher in the room should you need it. Also, we can provide you with a repellent should you want it as well. Just inform our housekeeping and we will bring it for you.

However again, we are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Hopefully, what was happened did not stop you to stay again with us on your next holiday to Gili Trawangan.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Villa Ombak for four nights as part of our honeymoon. Not that it matters really but every other hotel on the trip made a real fuss of us and treated us so warmly but even on arrival the staff were a quite luke warm. It took over 45mins to be checked in.

The room itself (a lumbung hut) was nice- although quite small. There are loungers outside and table area below. The bed was very comfortable. The quirky thing about these rooms is that the bathroom is outside and downstairs, some quite steep wooden stairs. The bathroom itself has a nice feel and was a treat to shower outside but the shower is salt water. As is the main pool on the resort.

This hotel is fine- but I just felt it wasn't quite special enough for the price we paid for it. I think there are plenty of other nicer places to stay on Trawangan. Kokomo for example or Gilli Amor (a new boutique style hotel some friends stayed in with a lovely pool and half the price!).

Stayed August 2014
Dear nikki23,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

It is in our deep concerned that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Rest assured that your review has been forwarded to our concerned department for their immediate improvement.

Hopefully, we still be able to welcome you again on lets us say your anniversary or on your next holiday here in Gili Trawangan.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I was a bit scared the first nights here because I had read so much from visitors about their problem with bed bugs at this place, but we didn't have a problem with that at all. Staff, breakfast and our lumbung hut was all ok. Bit small huts but cosy. Minus about this place was that the showers only had saltwater and wi-fi was really bad. Also a bit too expensive for what you get.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Jessica S,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

We are happy to learned that you enjoyed your stay with us, yet we are sad to know that there are a few issues during your stay. Pleased to inform you that we have passed this matter to the concerned department for their immediate follow up and improvement.

Again, we thank you for your kind review.

Hopefully, we will still be able to welcome you in our property on your next holiday.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I have visited Vila Ombak twice and each time has been equally amazing. The rooms & resort itself are only a step away from the beautiful turquoise waters of Gili Trawangan & the service from Iwan and his team was nothing short of world class. I would not look past Vila Ombak for accomodation on Gili Trawangan & if I could rate it an 11/10 I would. I look forward to another visit in the near future!

Thank you Iwan & team, Vila Ombak really is my island home away from home.

• Stayed August 2014
Imam W, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear cami_810,

Greetings from Gili Trawangan...

It was and always been our pleasure to make sure that your stay is a memorable one.

Our team are looking forward to welcome you again on your next holiday.