“We absolutely loved it”
Review of Hotel Vila Ombak

Hotel Vila Ombak
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Reviewed 30 March 2009

I'm surprised over the bad reviws so I felt that I have to tell about our stay. We spent 10 days June/July 2008 and were so pleased with everything, going back this summer too. As a family this is THE place at Gili T. Lovely big rooms (Deluxe Family+Deluxe Ombak), fantastic pool area, tasty breakfast, lovely staff and the best location as we see it. In the middle of all the best restaurant for the evenings and a 15 min stroll to the swimable beach in the daytime.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Vila Ombak

Reviewed 12 March 2009

The rooms are lovely, the hotel is right where the action is. The grounds are delightful.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2009

The family & I booked a room through a travel agent in Java for 2 nights at vila ombak. Upon arrival at the hotel, the clerk asked for 200,000 rupiah ( U.S. $ 20 ) for additional person. I wasn't happy about this and told him about it when he took me to my room. His response was, "you can leave now, if you are not happy". I would punch him if this were in Jakarta or any other big city. But, this is in gili trawangan, I had to stand down. After this incident, I asked my family to stay in the room, while I look for other hotel in the area.
After I found a new hotel, I just checked myself out. I feared for the safety of my family & my own. It's not worth it to fight with a clerk who makes less than U.S. $ 100 per month. There are many other hotels on the island. If you don't mind being milked and challenge to a fight by a lowly front desk clerk, vila ombak is your kind of hotel.
If you are looking for a safety and comfort while staying in gili trawangan, find other hotels. There are plenty of them.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2008

Vila Ombak is now one of my favorite hotels. The Indonesian style Lumbung was great fun, the air conditioned bedroom upstairs was well decorated, the bale area with hammock was relaxing, and the outdoor bathroom was beautiful. The staff was always friendly and eager to please. The buffet breakfast was great, including a mix of Indonesian and westernfood (with made to order omlets). The swimming pool was big and well maintained. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 15 November 2008

We came over from Quici Villas on Lombok on Villa Ombak's boat for $10 a person. After staying at Quinci for less money this was a total disaster.

There wanted $145 US for our hotel room. Our hotel room had no deck. I like to enjoy a cold beverage on my deck when I travel. The rooms was dirty. Some of the lights didn't work. There were stains on the sheets. Gross.

This is all after we requested a room change because they gave us a room with two beds. Did I mention the smell? Not good. There was no way I was going to stay there for a night let alone a week. So off we went to find another hotel room...what we found is another story all together. Much better for $65 less.

They made us pay for 2 nights because we had originally said we were staying for a week. I didn't care I just wanted to get away.

Dont do it. Seriously.

Stayed: October 2008
4  Thank VancouverMagic
Reviewed 4 November 2008

We were staying in Bali and decided to spend a couple of days on the Gili Islands. Advised that you had to fly to Lombok then take a boat, we were relieved to find you could take a 3 hour high speed boat direct from Bali (the port is 10 minutes from Denpasar airport, with free hotel transfers from Kuta, Nasa Dua etc.).

We chose Gili Trawangan as it is the biggest and has more going on, good choice. Gili Meno and Air are 3 minutes away by boat, it looks easily swimmable but the under currents would just make your partner rich and single from the travel insurance claim!

We had pre-booked Vila Ombak for our one night stay. It looked amazing from the outside, but internally it was just basic if not a little dirty and poorly maintained; you need to view my photos. We paid around £100 for the night, so my report is written on that basis, for £30 it would of been good value and received a better report.

We chose it for the exterior views of the Villas (which are beautiful) and the large central pool area. The latter was grubby, but luckily the beach and sea are fantastic on Gili, so we headed there. Breakfast at the hotel was just OK. The hotel water is not fresh (sea water), no problem for us, in fact quite nice but not for everybody. Room had a TV, safe, bed and wardrobe with two hangars. Bathroom had a toilet and grubby outdoor shower area.

It is clear from other photos and reports that there is a mix of rooms at this resort, varying in standards; so choose carefully if you go.

As for Gili Trawangan, a perfect little oasis free from motorised vehicles, it was perfect to cycle around (takes about 30 minutes to cover the full perimeter of the island, but you have to push the bike at times due to deep sand on the trail).

Plenty of bars and restaurants on the main ‘strip’ to entertain you in the evening, but don’t miss the sunset at the rear of the island. Take a horse and cart there if you are too tired to walk around.
Snorkelling is amazing, I saw an enormous sea turtle; but watch those under currents.

In summary, there are many equally nicer and significantly better value hotels on Gili Trawangan, so for me I would advise you take one of those.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nick_From_Manchester
Reviewed 29 October 2008

Me and my girlfriend arrived with the Blue Water Express from Bali. As we got closer, the Gilis looked wonderful! White beaches and deep blue seas.

We got of the boat and were met by the local "taxi drivers" (horse and wagon). Some find this charming, but the guys would not take "no thank you" for an answer.
The driver wanted 50000 IRP for a 400 meter ride. This is not a lot of money, but the driver in Bali (with a car), demanded 60000 for a 15 min. drive...

At the hotel we were met by a very nice and professional member of the hotel staff. Check in was an ease.

We stayed at the deluxe lumbung hut. The hut and its surroundings inside the hotel area is nice and charming. But do not expect luxory! It is small and for a tall man it is easy to knock your head when moving around.
The bed is ok, but the AC does not boost enough cold air to keep you from sweating.

The open air bathroom is nice. The shower delivers salt water, with fresh water in a bucket. This is ok for some days, but I guess you would be fed up in a week or two.

Vila Ombak has a very nice pool area, and in the mid october, it was not crowded at all.
The beach restaurant is wonderful, not so much because of the food - it is good, but not perfect - but for the view! Really nice!
The breakfast however, was perfect!

Vila Ombak is without doubt the best place to stay on Gili Trawangan. But do not expect something perfect! The sanitary conditions are not as good as what you can expect in a hotel on the mainland.

In my opinion Gili Trawangan is also overrated. Yes it is beautifull here. But there are many, many island which is much more scenic than the Gilis. Outside of the hotel area there is not much to see but sand and bleak trees.

The beach is nice, and the water crystal clear, but the island street is dirty and smelly. This is an old hippy island, and it showes. We met lots of people who clearly have been living life hard. You will meet the marihuana pushers when moving around at night, and even if they are not very scary they take away some of the charm.
Gili Trawangan is nice, but I would never go here with kids or older friends.

The best about the island? Get up at 06 in the morning and enjoy the sunrise with the girl you love. Great!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Imedvindfranord