“Paradise”

Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Darwin, Australia
“Paradise”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Quiet but close enough to walk to everything. A lovely place with lovely staff. Villa was beautiful and private. Cable TV didnt work (world cup was on) and they said the satellite was out but it worked in the reception area - go figure. That was the only thing they promised that they didnt deliver and a very minor thing at that.Beautiful hotel, great location and staff

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LocalLad_13

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is one of the better places to stay on Gili T. Location was great, good snorkelling right out the front of the hotel so you didn't have to travel. It was close enough to everything but out of the noisy areas so was nice and quiet at night. Rooms are spacious and fairly well appointed. The hotels on Gili are more expensive than Bali so expect to pay a little more. The restaurant was good, right on the beach.

Tips, when you get off the boat get a horse carriage as its too far to lug a large bag. Cost about 50k. Hire a bicycle straight away as its the best way to get around the island. You can ride all the way around but parts of the north you have to get off and walk as its just sand. Check out the sunset from Karma Kayak and Aston Sunset resort as it's worth the effort. If your diving try to go when the moon is at its lowest (away from full) as it can create some hairy currents.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Dabezz
Gili Trawangan, Indonesia
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Villa Almerik has a beautiful restaurant right on the beach away from the busy part of the island. The roof is made of bamboo, which gives a natural look, however the blue decking would have been better in a more natural colour.

The set up is nice, with beautiful set tables and a romantic table with flowers for special occasions on the beach. I've been to the restaurant a couple of times, mainly because they have live music a couple of times a week and especially the band playing on Friday and Saturday (Yellow Jacket) is nice to listen at.

The staff is very thoughtful and make you feel special. Also it's nice to have complimentary water and bruchetta whilst waiting.

The menu includes western and Indonesian dishes. The quality of the food however is not up to expectations. A salade caprese includes 4 slices of tomato and 4 slices of cheese. The cheese was hard, so I wouldn't call it morzarella and for the price of a regular dish in any other restaurant ($5-$6) this is such a disappointment. I personally would be ashamed to put it on the table in front of one of my guest.
There are many pasta dishes on the menu and I think the restaurant might have some Italian influence, but the pasta was nothing to compare to fresh pasta you can get in other restaurants on the island for that price. The chocolate mouse was frozen, which made it more like chocolate ice cream (we couldn't get our spoon in it).

Over all I still think it's worth going to Almerik restaurant, first of all for the nice music and staff and second of all because I think we just didn't get lucky that evening and I had other nights where the food was better, however still not worth writing a good review about it.
I think this restaurant has potential, but for the price you pay they should pay more attention to the quality and quantity of the food. Hopefully it will improve soon and will be able to get and keep a higher standard.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I read all the votings about Almarik, that's why I booked, but I felt disappointed by my arrival.
Sorry, but that is not what I want. The reality looks completely different from what I found in my visit.

The HOUSE seems old, need fresh colour and some renovation.Some parts are really too old and dirty.
The POOL is smelling, the shower old and malfunctioning.
The POOLAREA old, without any care, damaged floor around the pool. Dried plants.Not enough chairs. All in all an uncomfortable area that needs renovation. So nearly all guests avoid to swim in pool.
The GARDEN is too dark,dead plants, dried trees. In the night to dark. Danger to stumble.
The ROOMS are clean but too dark. The bathrooms smelling terrible. The small garden outside the bathhouses door a drama.Dirty and without care.
The BREAKFAST without any fantasy. Every day the same undelicious food. Cold fried noodles. Cold rice. No variety. Poor.
The BEACH is not for swim. You hurt your feet by corals.
Just good for snorkeling.
In the evening loud rock music at the beach restaurant. No chance for any conversation. Loud. Noisy.
The food at restaurant too expensive for that what they offer.
The STAFF is not always polite. Some are nice. Some are not able to reply a simple good morning. For many staff members english seems to be a unknown language. Just 2 nice and helpful staff members at the reception. Thanks Eny and colleague.
When I paid my bill by CC the hotel charged me 3% additional CC fee although I had a fixed price by my booking agency. Nowhere was any information about that.
Really I can't agree with all that positive votings about Almarik.
I missed a lot of comfort and service.The hotel needs a fresh renovation and I think it needs a better management. That hotel has too many mistakes.
I was happy to leave after 5 days.
My voting for Almarik: once upon a time there WAS a good hotel called Villa Almarik.......

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mibra123
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We've just returned from Bali and spent 3 nights at Villa Almarak on Gili T. This was our first visit to Gili T but definitely won't be our last and we would have no hesitatation in returning to Villa Almarak. The villas are very spacious and the aircon worked well. We always received service with a smile and nothing was too much trouble. The position of this property was perfect for us - far enough away from the noise but everything still a short walk or bike ride away. We hired bikes and snorkelling gear right next door and there is also a small supermarket for cold drinks and snacks. Things we appreciated - we were met from the ferry and taken to the villa by horse and carriage, free 20 minute massage and free afternoon tea each day. Their beach bar is an impressive bamboo structure and a great place to relax for lunch and a cocktail. Negatives (only if I had to be picky) - water pressure wasn't great in our villa and there were no fresh beach towels available on the second day as they hadn't come back from the laundry. Overall, Villa Almarik got a big thumbs up from us and we can't wait to go back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brisbod
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Far away from the main area on gill. Manageable but still very poorly managed. Not at all clean. Stayed there for 2 nights and it was horrifying. Lizards and ants were like pets and the frog doesn't let u sleep. The spa was a joke, it was my next room converted into a spa. Don't bother booking here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My family and I had a great stay at Villa Almarik in December last year (a late review, but necessary nevertheless considering we had a wonderful stay in Gili T and at the villa).
When we reached the hotel, it was evening and yet, we were warmly welcomed by the staff who even engaged with the kids, telling them about the snorkelling they can do just in front of the hotel. The staff also sat us down comfortably and briefed us on the things we can do around the island - map and all!! One of the managers even promised to provide bread for the fish for the next morning's snorkelling - which he did:)
The room was huge and fit 5 of us - 2 adults and 4 kids - perfectly well. The kids loved the bed built in on an alcove by the windows. We had an extra bed as well and still had ample space in the room! I was looking at several hotels to decide on the family rooms and this was definitely the perfect choice! The toilet is also spacious and clean. And yes, the housekeepers do check with you after you come in from the beach to check if you want your room cleaned - I suppose for the floor to be swept clean after all that sand. Very considerate service!

The staff is remarkably attentive -the villa gives a homely feel to our vacation. In fact, we extended our stay despite having booked and paid for a night at Lombok at the Sheraton. We flew back in the evening and at home while unpacking I found to my horror that I had left my hard drive and my new hp charger in the room. When we emailed them, the reply was prompt by resident manager Linda who confirmed it was in the room safe and even took photos of the things I had left behind! And she sent everything via courier!! I really appreciate the extra mile they go for their guests.
On some days we slept in and were late in coming for breakfast. We would receive a call and a staff would direct us to what we can still have for breakfast. I think thay keep some stations (bread, croissants) open for latecomers like us (oops!!)

I think this is the attitude of people from Lombok who are proud of their islands. I have that feeling when I go around the island - service is attentive and administered with pride. At 2 places where we rented snorkels, the deal was that we can return anytime if we are not comfortable with them. And these they do (the kids can be very fussy with their snorkels!) without complaints. We had the same experience renting bikes, too.

And we absolutely love the island - we cycled around the island twice! Unfortunately we went during the raining season - but even then, the rain didn't last long. Cycling in the rain was also an experience we enjoyed!
We'll definitely come again - the kids have been bugging us about it! And do go snorkelling in the north western part of the island. It's so beautiful and about 100-200m off the beach.. water is calm and you see so much beauty underwater - we spotted a moray eel....ah Gili T is superbly beautiful!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family