“Best location for sunset lovers”

Aston Sunset Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Although its quite a distance from the busy opposite side of the island, Aston has the best location for sunset lovers. When feels like going around the island, can easily get the bike provided for free. Stayed for one week and the bedroom is very good, clean, spacious, and comfy. The wifi coverage is very good across the entire hotel area and inside room. Wish they can provide more food variety but it's ok.

There was only one drawback though, seems like Aston is lack of staff. They are nice and friendly but probably too few to cover all guests. I had to wait for ages for room service which ended up not turning up. So I went out to the restaurant to get cups/cutlery/food rather than request by phone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
AstonGiliTrawangan, Manager at Aston Sunset Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thanks Iwan or your patience and yes I'm terribly sorry the room service wasn't available for you when you called. That's a very beautiful photo of the sunset you have!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed 3 nights at Aston and the bedroom was very good and comfy. The bathroom is big, has 2 sinks, but the water doesn't get hot. The wi-fi is good and free in all areas.

They have one restaurant, you need to order before get hungry, it takes a while to get it. The choices are not many, and the plates are small but good. Mains are from 8 aud. We also order dinner in the room, it was quicker than ordering at the restaurant.
Have breakfast with seaview is wonderful, they have more food options than real breakfast, not many breads or deli stuff.

The service in general is average, the staff just need to be well trained, they already are nice, friendly and hardworking people.

They have bikes free of charge, but you might only get them if pick it in the morning. They also have padlock for it. The bikes are good quality and have lights in case you use it at night. The way to the busy part of the island is easy, except a small distance covered with sand that you might get down of your bike, but it doesn't take more than a minute. The way is also scenic, you will stop many times to take pictures.

This locations is perfect to watch the sunset and the volcano at the end of the day, from the sunbeds just a step from the sand. This area in the island is also very quiet, it takes 10 to 15 minutes by bike from the busiest part of the island, where the boats berth and the restaurants are. If you are coming with heavy luggagges you might get a horse buggy, it cost from 8 to 10 aud.
The sunset time is amazing, the sunbeds start to get busy at 4pm, and around 5 pm the live band starts, have to say that the band is a must.

The pool is nice, and the beach in front of the hotel is also

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luana B

Thank You Luana for your detailed feedback! We are aware of and working on all the issues you mentioned. I'm glad overall your stay went well.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

we were impressed by the size of the room and the cleanliness when we arrived. our room was not done up on one day despite this being requested several times and the sign being left on the door. this was quite annoying. generally you had to ask many times for anything to be done: obtain food from the restaurant or even a menu. it was hard to get the staff's attention. one night we ordered the burger after about 30-40 mins we asked again, another waiter this time and were told they had run out this time. we ordered again and again had to wait 30-40 mins for our food, by this time our toddler was besides himself. there was an open source of electricity whereby he electrocuted himself and me too as I went to touch the source myself not understanding what had happened as the source was inocuous looking. there wasnt much by way of apology for this. the food was good when it came. they do have bikes you can rent but not many and the one with the babyseat has no seat belt on it, also the bikes are first come first serve so you cannot count on them. when you do put the "do not disturb" sign on the door they still come and knock even though you will have asked at reception that they do not knock or disturb as well as putting the sign up. finally there is no babysitting service available despite this being advertised on the website?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hi Stephanie, I'm very worried to hear you and your child were hurt. I hope you both are ok. Sorry doesn't even begin to explain how terrible I feel that this happened to you both. As I write this, Ive asked our team to search the entire restaurant (as I assume this was where you were) to try to find it. If you have a moment, can you email me at feedback@archipelagointernational.com with the location where you were?

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Beach is great with sunet view and live music. Hotel provided guest the free bicycle for us to ride around island. staffs are helpful. the hotel swimming pool was great but there wasn't enough sun bath chairs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
AstonGiliTrawangan, General Manager at Aston Sunset Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2016

Dear Meanery,

I am glad that we have met your satisfaction during your stay and we appreciate your time in sharing thought about the services you received. Our guest's feedback are taken seriously and it help us identify aspects of service that need attention to be improved.

Emanuel Prasodjo A

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for four nights despite shady reviews, as replies from staff claimed they were in the process of improving. Truly regretted that decision.

While the rooms and pool area are nice, that's it. Only 16 beds by the pool, and many are in the shadow most of the day. There were also rat droppings on the furthest pool edge.

Service in this place, however, is among the worst I have encountered. There were not many guests when we were there, still, a simple drink order by the pool or restaurant took 20 minutes, assuming you ever got it (often didn't). One day we also counted 16 empty bottles and glasses just sitting around poolside all day without anyone bothering cleaning up.

Beer and water was usually warm. It appeared they only kept about 5 bottles in the fridge at any time.

Several times during our stay we were served dirty glasses, plates and cutlery (there were literally chunks of food still on them).

The breakfast buffet was ridiculous. There usually was no clean glasses or plates. Coffee cans were rarely refilled. Neither were food trays.

Both for breakfast and dinner, tables would be left dirty for 20 minutes + before someone finally cleared the table, usually just to move the dirties to a nearby tray where it would sit.

It wasn't just us either. All day, every day someone was complaining about something or other to the staff.

I could go on and on about crappy rental bikes, incompetent staff, poor cleaning etc, but basically I will just strongly discourage anyone going there. Do not be tempted by the low price 5 star. It would be bad even if they were listed as 3 star.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Stian M
AstonGiliTrawangan, Aston International Corporate office at Aston Sunset Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hi Stian M,
I am deeply saddened to read your review. We have been hard at work for the past 1 month making improvements to the hotel and its the service. Yes, this is not a 5 star hotel (we dont claim to be), and yes, we are on a small island in the middle of the ocean with limited staff and resources so things take longer than a hotel on Bali or Java.

I know for a fact we have 30 sun beds by the pool (not 16) and the entire beach front for relaxing and enjoying the sun. Claims of rat droppings disturbs me greatly as we have never heard such complaints before and we have regular pest control service. Ive walked the entire property and have not seen anything like this. I can assure you that our industrial fridges can and do hold more than 5 bottles of water and beer.

I could go on about how much positive feedback we are now getting from guests on site, about how our dishes are cleaned but there is always a possibility of human error in not double checking the result of from the washer, and how any bike would deteriorate rapidly in a sandy and salty beach climate despite regular maintenance on them. We will keep working to get the hotel up to a 4 star Aston standard.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Good things:
- price
- Quite
- rooms and bathroom sufficient large
- pool
- Nice design
- Transfer service (airport- speed boat- Horse carriage)
Bad things:
-Not only the room sizes, LED TV , and facilities (pool fitnessroom etc.) makes a 5 star hotel but more the quality of it.
-Actually the hotel is quite new but quality of construction especially rooms not to the best finishing.
-Maintenance as well not the best (Fan in the non window badroom was not working till the end of our stay)
- Can confirm that the service of quality is still not to a satisfactory level. Long waiting for check in and out, respond to complains. Service during breakfast took too long.
- So we arrived at around 8pm but was said that the room still needs to be checked?! After 30 min. waiting I took the luggage and went to the room to find out that the toilet was blocked. After 1h and a flooding bathroom we got a room in a lower booking class.
At check out I needed to fight (verbally) for not paying for the Aston Club room but got only 1/2 the price difference between both rooms as a compensation.
Dear Pak Ali, still waiting for my fruit basket :-)

To consider:
Hotel on the west side of the island but restaurants, bars, shops etc. at the East side with 30 min. + walk or you are lucky or an early bird to get one of the hotel bikes (free of charge)

Room Tip: rooms between Aston club and superior room not much different
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pilo2014
AstonGiliTrawangan, Aston International Corporate office at Aston Sunset Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Hi Pilo2014,
Sorry you were disappointed. For our guests better understanding, most of the boat arrivals and departures are at the same time. Limited staff on site have a very short amount of time to clean and turn over 125 rooms. It is an industry standard that check out is at 12 and check in is at 2. On Gili it is a much shorter time frame so we appreciate everyone's understanding and patience when checking in and out. If the staff at the front desk mention a room is not ready yet, its for a good reason, like a clogged toilet, or a leak. Believe us, they would be happy to check guests in as soon as possible.

Pak Ali was the previous front office manager. We have hired his replacement and they will be joining us soon. We would be happy to give you a fruit basket upon your return :)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We moved to the west part of Gili T after 2 nights at the 'happening' side of Gili T. It's a nice change - quiet and peaceful. What was supposed to be a nice surprise birthday celebration for my partner did not materialise but turned out to be a total disaster.

I was in email contact with them prior to arrival and have arranged a birthday celebration dinner and for the room to be decorated with a surprise upon checking in. Nothing was prepared when we checked into our room. Then when I checked on the dinner arrangement, to my horror, the reception did not know anything about this, and after scrambling for 15 mins or so, he came to me with a printout of my email correspondence with all the details on it. Nonchalantly he told me that special dinner was booked out that evening. After much discussions, I was offered a 'romantic' dinner at the beach restaurant, and not on a wooden walkway out on the beach. I believe this was not what we had agreed for. We then settled for the special dinner the next day, which was a day later than the birthday. And this was even at a higher price, almost double than what was agreed. I was told that the prior arrangement was for the dinner at restaurant, not the one on the walkway. I do not believe this as if it's really so, it wouldn't have booked out on the initial evening, there were plenty of tables in the restaurant to be booked out for dinner. I am utterly disgusted with the dishonest dealings of the reception.

And when I told them about the surprise deco in the room, they reluctantly promise to do something that evening, or the morning next. Of course, nothing came out of it.

We tried to rent the free bicycle but was told none was available. The staff told us they only have like 30 bikes. And there are 125 rooms! Seriously if you want to provide a free service, do think of how many rooms you have in your hotel, and if you are able to cater to your guests. We were not the only guests turned away. When we did finally get two, they were of terrible conditions, ones brake was not working and the others chains were falling out. We decided to use the horse cart instead, and it really depends on luck how long you have to wait. Upon checking out early, we had to wait for 20-30mins. I can't imagine if we check out at 12pm with everyone else.

There are many areas that did not meet expectations such as:
- Slow check in and check out.

- During morning buffet breakfast, cutleries not on tables, not enough glasses for the juice, slow and inefficient waiting staff.

- We couldn't get into our room once and when we went to the reception and gave the card, they did something and told us it was fixed. It couldn't work still and we had to walk back to the reception. Only then they sent someone and it was the battery issues.

- The room is huge with high ceiling, the air conditioner seemed too weak to cool the whole room. Hence it was quite stuffy and warm throughout the night.

- Shampoo and shower gel were not replenished.

- Called the reception as the safe was locked. Promised to send someone but no one showed up. Called few times subsequently but no one picked up.

- It's wintertime on TV, you only see snowflakes.

- Bathroom is beautiful but poorly designed. It's open concept, when you shower the whole bathroom gets wet it's slippery and a concern for safety.

It's truly shocking and upsetting that these happened to a hotel which prides itself for style, comfort and service. Hotel itself has a nice pool and the room is not bad actually, but the inefficient staff and their lacklustre, indifferent services marred our experience. Please just avoid. We went next door to Ombak Sunset for meal twice and the services at their restaurant was just impeccable. It was quieter and the food was much better too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank highfever88

Hi highfever88,
Thanks for your comments. We have informed the owner repeatedly about purchasing more bicycles. Guest reviews such as yours will help support our requests, so thank you for that. As for the dinner, I am so very sorry. The reservation staff did not coordinate with the front office or f&B team and this person has been reprimanded. As for the other issues this is mostly related to us needing more staff and repeated training for those already on site. We are continuously working on it.