I picked Villa Saia after reading the rave reviews on here and I have to say it fell well short of my expectations for several reasons. If you're looking for instagrammable shots and that's your priority - go for it!
If you are looking for a luxury stay where you can relax - YOU WILL NOT FIND IT HERE. I can't emphasise this enough!! I felt the need to write an honest review to give a guide to all those travellers considering this place, so you can book with your eyes open.
Good size swimming pool, much better than most on the island
Fairly private (only 3 villas in the complex) although you can hear everything from your neighbours
Breakfast is served by the pool in your villa, which is nice.
They were able to provide yoga/exercise matts
Owner went through the Gili map with us, with a range of recommendations and information.
The staff are helpful.(especially the new starter from Lombok, who went out of his way for me - even cycling out to try and find an Indonesian desert I wanted to try!)
- You are very very close to the mosque. They blast out at least a 1 hour prayer on a huge megaspeaker from 04:30 - 05:30AM and there has been absolutely no effort to soundproof the villa (there is a small gap between the roof and wall at the top which is open air). Even with my music playing in my earphones, I couldn't drown out the noise. You will not sleep. It was so bad we actually considered leaving after our first night, but decided to stick it out as we had already paid for 3.
- Bed was very uncomfortable (too firm)
- Wifi was awful (worked 10% of the time at most, with an incredibly slow connection)
- Air conditioning does not work properly. After we raised this, management did send in people to check it and fix a fluid problem, but the difference was marginal. Plus, the villa is open air at the top, so even if it was working, the cool air simply escapes.
- POOR breakfast: A shame as I was really excited for this based on the reviews. Presentation was spot on, but flavour was absent. Banana juice was made from what was clearly unripe banana (very chalky). Pineapple similar. They tasted of very little. Watermelon was ok. There are no meat options. We were told however, that with advance notice - the villa could source 'almost anything we wanted' (sounds great right?) After the first night, we requested some sausages and were told 'no' (apparently there are no good quality ones on the island, but no alternative was offered). Oh and also, 'special requests' extends to things like tomato sauce - which you'll need to request the day before.
- There is only one small hairdryer between 3 villas, so I had to wait several hours to get use of it. This seems like a poor oversight - how cheap is a hairdryer per villa to buy when there are three!
- Again, with toiletries, I was told they could provide anything I had come without, yet on requesting some conditioner (a basic request in my eyes), I was told they didn't have it.
I really don't like writing negative reviews, and these are lovely villas, but there are SO many aspects that let them down, and for the price/standard I really think they should be offering a better service. Many of these are simple changes that would make a big difference to the stay.
We loved this place. Before arriving we communicated with Lise who was very helpful and prompt with replies. Once we arrived Rudolphe and the other staff took care of us wonderfully. The villa itself was gorgeous; we loved having access to our own private pool! Also, the breakfast was delicious and getting around the island was a piece of cake thanks to the bikes!
- superb service by the staff here who will take very good care of you
- quickly replied my emails regarding the accommodation and island
- Cindy, who met us upon check-in gave us very good recommendations on where to eat, snorkel, watch the sunrise & sunset and other information throughout our stay
- delicious breakfast
- free bicycles to use anytime we wanted
- when my friend was sick late one night, the staff here brought us to the clinic, waited with us till the end and walked back with us to make sure we were safe
- beautiful villa, pool and garden
- very clean
- has a reliable driver/tourguide you can hire to get around Lombok and to the jetty to Gili Air
- villa is easy to locate based on the map given
- very serene
- air-conditioning took a while to cool the villa sometimes
I absolutely love the 3 nights we spent here and would recommend anyone looking for a villa with a private pool to stay here. Thank you Villa Saïa team for making my birthday such a memorable one! Already dreaming of going back!
Had the pleasure of staying three nights and can't recommend this highly enough. The rooms are spacious and clean and the pool is to die for. The owners are super friendly and the whole place is very well maintained.
Villa Saïa deserves its 5 stars as the room and the bathroom are large and well equipped with a nice garden and a relaxing private swimming pool. The breakfast is also very tasty (we have tried all!) and good quality! the staff is very kind an helpful, we highly recommend this place and will come back for sure! Thanks again!
My partner and I had the most wonderful stay at Villa Saia.
Everything was perfect !
The villa is beautifully furnished and very well equipped. You have everything you could need and more. The shower was beautifully fitted and you could shower under the stars, bed was comfy and the pool was so refreshing and perfectly sized.
The host Cindy and her team were wonderful- nothing was too much trouble. Cindy helped show us some good places to eat in Gili Air and also helped us arrange onwards travel in Lombok with a lovely driver.
Breakfast was so tasty! We have bought some coconut wood bowls do try to do our own smoothie bowls at home although I don’t think we can get as good a taste!
Wonderful luxurious experience !! We will be back !!
Everything about this place is just outstanding! First hotel in Indonesia that is up to my standards! Villa is beautiful, very romantic, very modern, very private , very looked after and so so so clean! Owners are so welcoming and they will help you with anything. Great wi fi, hot water, beautiful and clean bathroom, air con, mini bar.... hairdryer ... private swimming pool and stunning garden. Breakfast... omg! So so so tasty! You have to try their home made jams... better than my grandmothers! Haha . Staff working here is providing the most exceptional service ever! They pay attention to every single detail. They will even check your room making sure there is no insects in it. We are staying here for 3 night, wish we could stay longer. It definitely looks like the best villa/hotel on Gili Air. I need to find out what kind of washing liquid they use to wash their towels as they smell so so so amazing! We have been to a lot of places and stayed in a lot of different accommodations, when I leave my review I am very honest, so people know if there is something wrong with a place, this villa? Everything is perfect here! 5*!