“Fantastic find!”

Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Gili Air
Victoria, Canada
“Fantastic find!”
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Accommodation was very clean and comfortable. The a/c worked and I didn't mind the salt water shower.... part of the charm being on a remote island. I totally loved the vibe of this island. Staff couldn't be more helpful and friendly. I'll definitely return.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank CanadianFlashPacker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We loved our stay on Gili Air, but not the cold saltwater showers of the Manta Dive bunglalows! The bungalows themselves are very sweet and the staff snoozing in hammocks and ultra laid back, so laid back that you are handed a key but provided with zero information. This meant that on our first day we were a) Eaten alive by mosquitoes when they could easily have mentioned that you could borrow a can of spray from reception. b) locked our belongings in the safe, since there are no instructions and it has an idiosyncratic system. c) Almost boiled to death in the night because no one mentioned that the air conditioning unit takes about three hours to cool the room. Once we'd mastered these things on our own, we loved our stay. Other things they don't tell you are: the snorkelling off the beach in front of Manta Dive is some of the best in the world; the Chill Out Bar is the best place to hang out and eat; the coffee shop charges London prices. The banana pancakes at breakfast are the best you'll ever eat, but if you have an extra coffee or if you ask for, say, a capuccino instead of the standard coffee they give you, you'll pay handsomely. Oh, and the pillows are the worst I've ever slept on. I jokingly asked my partner if she thought they had a pillow menu. 'Sure,' she said. 'The choices will be hard and lumpy or lump it.' Which I thought was quite funny.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank whitegiraffe
Bob99962, Manager at Manta Dive Gili Air Resort, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
Hi, and thanks for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay in the end.
We always take it very seriously when we hear that all hasn’t been as it should be during one of our guests stay here. We do apologise for any dissatisfaction this may have caused you.

We are sorry that you weren’t given more information on your arrival to our resort. Usually one of the office staff accompanies any new arrivals to the room and makes sure that all is ok with the room for the guests. This should have happened and we will address it.

If they had accompanied you to the room in the usual manner they would have showed you the information manual which is left in each guest’s room. This manual contains information on how to use the safe, breakfast details, and the various activities available on the Island. This would have addressed all the issues you had with your stay, apart from the pillows.

As most of our guests comment, we do have very approachable and friendly staff at Manta Dive, and they would have been more than happy to swap the pillows in your room if you weren’t happy with them. If anyone knows how important a good sleep is, it’s our local staff, they love sleeping! And they and the western staff would have also been happy to answer any questions about activities available and their own preferences for eating etc. It’s unusual that nobody mentioned the Chill Out bar to you, if you asked, as most of our staff and guests eat there almost every night. We do actually have a very good relationship between the 2 businesses, as you would have seen from the Manta Dive signs located in the Bar.

For the showers, our showers are hot water showers, and once again this problem could have been resolved if we were made aware of it. We take maintenance of our rooms very seriously, which is why we have 3 maintenance men for 11 rooms. The problem may simply have been, that we are trying to use solar power as much as possible, to try and help the fragile environment we live in, which can mean sometimes you have to wait 30 seconds or so for the hot water to work its way through to the shower.

Regarding the coffee shop, I do have to question your comment here. Our coffee prices can not be compared to a London Coffee shop or probably any in England. If you can find me a coffee shop in London that sells a Latte or Cappuccino for £1.50, using imported Illy coffee, (and please remember this is a remote Island in Indonesia), then I would be very happy to meet you there and buy you coffees all day!

We do try at Manta Dive to be as helpful and approachable as possible. We also do tend to let the guests approach us for information. Most people coming to Gili Air are looking for peace, quiet, relaxation and privacy, so we don’t tend to approach the guests too often unless they make us aware that they need our attention. I am sorry if this method was not apparent to you.

But we are happy that despite these small problems that you managed to enjoy your time on Gili Air, and maybe one day you will return and we will ensure that all is as you require, which is our goal for every guest!

Thanks again for your comments, they all help us improve!
london
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We have just returned from a second visit to Manta divers in 5 months.

There is always a risk returning somewhere you really enjoyed , as it can disappoint.

We went back to Gili Air for just 4 days in November and enjoyed it even more than we did in June. The bungalows are so lovely and the beach so beautiful that we truly could have stayed forever.

Again we went diving every day with Suno and it was definitely better than before. We saw three white tipped sharks chilling out on the seabed in Shark Point and a sweet little baby giant manta ray at Manta Point.We also saw masses of turtles and the new dive sites that are being discovered all the times seem to have pristine coral.

The location near all the cool beach restuarants is wonderful.The marine life just off the beach is brilliant and the resident turtles are adorable but grumpy looking.

The best part of Manta Divers are the great people : the wonderful welcoming office staff , the dive guides who truly love their jobs and the ever smiling coffee bar girls.

Next time we will stay for longer.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ire123
Pointe de Flacq
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Just returned to Bali following 4 days on Gili Air at Manta Dive!
While lots of teh reef have been damaged by dynamite fishing, the dives are fun, easy and the crew extremely attentive. The combination of both local and western divemaster is always good! Thank you Kaitlin, Rob, Amanda and Opik!
We travelled with our kids and booked teh connecting room...clean and comfortable!
The resort has a small pool, perfect for the kids to play and has direct access to teh beach. In addition, Chill Out is a good place for food and only minutes away by foot.
We'll definately go back!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank JerCol
perth
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Stayed 4 nights at Manta Dive after the positive feedback on Trip Advisor, and it is all true. Having done my original dive certificate over 25 years ago, and a re-certification 6 or so years ago, I was a keen but apprehensive diver looking for a place to 'get back into it' without fuss. And this is the place. Whether you are a very experienced diver (like my husband and others), rusty like me, or a new diver, the staff and facilities at Manta Dive will ensure that you have a very comfortable stay and dives that are amazing. It is very well organised with lots of options to help you dive in different locations, and planned well to be away from other groups of divers from Gili Air or other islands. I think that this is the first place that I can honestly say challenges the Great Barrier Reef, if you could hear me under water you would have heard my constant 'O.M.G!' is was so beautiful. The relaxed atmosphere helped me chill out and enjoy my trip.The snorkelling was just as good, so if you are not a diver you can still see plenty of fish, coral and turtles. Jackie was a fabulous dive master, and he was also able to tell us about Gili Air, his home and the changes he has seen in the last 10-15 years. Plenty of choice for lunches and dinner on the island, while breakfast at MD was perfect - ask for ginger tea. The accommodation was very comfortable - shower was lightly salty but hot - after wanting a fresh water shower, this just wasn't an issue anymore as the rest of the room, bed etc was just perfect.. And so nice to hear the staff singing while they work... I'd love to go back, so much more diving to do, but also to see more of the island and visit Gili T. Thank you Mona/Muna (sorry) and Kristie for such a lovely stay, including organising the transport from the airport on Lombok. (Note - don't fly, while the drive over the hills is very scenic, and I'm glad we did it, catch the fast boat from Bali - it will be quicker in the long run).

Room Tip: Everyone will recommend their own room but we stayed in Sasak villa 3, which I thought was one of th...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mmacPerth
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Where to start with so much to say ... was it only 9 blissful days at the beginning of November filled with an unexpected new passion of diving fueled by passionate instructors? At the end of trip it felt like more days and at the same time so few! I'm sure I could have easily stayed longer if there was accommodation available and loved ones weren't waiting for my return.

The island is so beautifully chilled and taking a horse drawn cart to Manta was a great and funny start to my time there.

Mona's greeting on my arrival at Manta set the scene with so much activity all around with divers just back from a dive and having lunch before the next dive. My room was ready and it was all that was promised to be (both on their website and from the other reviews). I stayed in both a Sasak and a Garden room during my stay.

Off for a swim and was amazed about the marine life just off the beach - on my last day I followed 2 turtles when I was snorkelling just off the beach.

Restaurants/bars around (as per the other reviews) and after tips from the dive instructors I often went to the warungs in the village near the middle of the island for fabulous and cheap food.

On my first full day on the island I started my Openwater certificate with Johan as my instructor and I fell in love with diving. I then did my Advanced course, again with the ever patient Johan, and just squeezed in a Nitrox course with Rob before leaving. The dive instructors/masters are fabulous and so helpful and keen to share their knowledge, and great also to chat with the other divers and learn from them too.

It was so easy to stay at Manta with the staff at Manta helpful, professional, and up for a laugh. Before I arrived they answered all my email questions, helped me book my travel to/from the island, and gave suggestions on where to stay in Bali.

Being by myself on the island was totally cool and I felt safe at all times. I just needed to buy a torch so that I could find my way back from yoga at H2O - Natascha and Asherah are great teachers and the yoga space is AMAZING - I'd highly recommend going there if you're into yoga or want to try it for the first time. Asherah gives a great shiatsu massage too!

I'll definitely be going back to Gili Air and staying at Manta Dive soon!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Felicity B
Amsterdam
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Never thought I'd dive, ever... but the Manta Dive crew helped me out and turned me into an addict. All thanks to the patience and professional guidance of Kaite, Pia, Rob and all the others!
I'll be back next year for my Underwater Bakset Weaving Specialty!

RoFLow

#16 of 20 in Gili Air
MAHAMAYA Gili Meno
MAHAMAYA Gili Meno
#1 of 11 in Gili Meno

Been to Manta Dive Gili Air Resort? Share your experiences!