“View and location great, but service and cleanness..” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Segar Villages

Segar Villages
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Gili Air
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“View and location great, but service and cleanness..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

We had mixed feelings about Gili Air and this accommodation. We did not book in advance because we could negotiate a cheaper price than booking in advance. We had an aircon room for 400k IDR. Negotiated with the owner (not with the guys working..)

The guys who 'work' there, work there because they do not need to work (hard). This is what they openly admit/state. The room was not cleaned very well. You needed to ask for clean towels (towels on the floor would be laid back on your bed again). You also needed to ask for simple things like new toilet paper. The ground felt dirty.

The bathroom concept was nice, but not practical. There was even a frog living there (be careful not to step on it). I am sure that other accommodations on Gili Air can be worse, but this was surely less than I expected. The location however, is very nice. Nice part of beach (with snorkeling possibilities) and enough warungs nearby to eat.

The guys who worked there really worked on my nerves to be honest. They seemed very friendly and kind (calling you "My Friend" all the time), but they would also easily overcharge you for snorkeling trips (double the price), or for renting stuff. I did not trust them for a bit, which gave me a really unpleasant feeling.

Breakfast on the roof was really nice though!

Room Tip: take a room with a aircon
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Don C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I loved it! Basically I went there with 14 with my mates and they all got rooms down the island at Kaluku so I was the odd one out in Segar but had a amazing time. The room was amazing and very spacious and cool. The bathroom was a massive wet room which had one of the best showers I've had to date. Because the guys knew that all of my mates were down the island they looked after me and gave a me a good deal to make sure I was too out of pocket being on my own but ended giving the saving mostly back in tips because it was goo great. The drawback is at night you have to walk down a road which is quite dark but being one of the safest islands on earth I was fine after the first walk and the cows didn't bother me!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room based on teh bathroom because for some reason I think it makes a differ...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Asher2326
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

I only give 3 points because after reading all the good reviews i expected segar villages nicer than it was. we booked a romm with aircon and it was ok and good, but just not as nice as i expected and as other places we stayed at were.
also we booked the room in advance which i would not do again in low-season. people walking by looking at rooms were offered our room 12$ cheaper compared to our price. so we felt that our room was a little overpriced.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank britta_246
Bossier City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay here. Starting with spotting the Komodo lizard in the pond, to the outdoor bathroom with the waterfall shower. Our cottage faces west and I watched the sunrise. At night we relaxed in the hammock listening to the waves. The staff was extremely accommodating and breakfast was tasty

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Dawn H
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed there for 2 weeks with a friend. We shared a bungalow - double bed, fan. We haggled a bit to get the price down as we were staying for 2 weeks.
The place was very calm and chilled. Breakfast was a feast, with choice of eggs or pancakes with side of fruits and fruit juice or coffee.
The beach itself just opposite the village isn't great to lie down because of the bits of coral, but this is the same as everywhere on Gili Air. Snorkeling is amazing though with turtle sights every single day I went swimming. Be careful with the jelly fish stings in the morning though.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sharkdiversl6
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

We had been staying in a homestay close by and had walked past this villa every morning and had commented how wonderful it would be to stay in it, right on the beach front with a veranda and hammock overlooking the sea. When we decided to look for somewhere with aircon we enquired about the villa never dreaming it would be available. We were incredibly lucky that they had a couple of nights. Great location just outside the main strip, beautiful view, lovely clean room and really comfortable bed. The owners were really great and took us in their traditional boat to main land Lombok at the end of our stay for a great price.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

Excellent rooms, new and fresh, with an awesome outdoor toilet/shower. Nice decorations to the room. Breakfast was included and was very nice. We stayed in one of the rooms in the back, but it was only a 100m walk through the garden to get to the beach. Friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple