“Wonderful Discovery”

Rockwater Secret Cove Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halfmoon Bay
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We only stayed for one night - had nowhere booked to stay and just came across it! What a discovery! Beautiful idyllic setting and fantastic restaurant . We had a standard room but was very comfortable and had a balcony with ocean view. Would like to return one day for longer & use the facilities more.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Everything about our stay in the "luxury tent" was commendable, but the cost prevented us from staying for more than one night. I've stayed at very luxurious hotels in expensive cities, but never had I paid so much for one night's accommodations. It was a fun experience, but "once in a lifetime," I guess!

1  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here for four days in July. I made my reservation well in advance. A couple of months after making the reservation I received an email offering an "upgrade/guaranteed" location for $50. At the price per night these tents are I figured $50 was worth it although it seems questionable that they would operate in this manner. We ended up in tent number 60. The view from our tent was AMAZING. This was the highlight of our stay. According to the news articles and reviews in the lobby the resort is at least 14 years old and is showing signs of age. My husband figured it was at least a half mile walk down to our tent. Downhill and down stairs going there, uphill and upstairs coming back. The walkway is a wooden pathway, with a note indicating it gets slippery when wet. The wood was gray with age. Not sure why they hadn't treated it or coated it with something for traction. There was another tent located close to us and on several occasions occupants of this tent and others in the area seemed to forget that the walls were canvas. The tent itself just needs some simple maintenance. The wood is scuffed, scratched and damaged in places. The canvas on the deck was torn in a couple of places. The bed was very worn but super soft. For some reason the bottom sheet on the bed inside out when we arrived? It stayed that way throughout our four day stay. The cleaning staff just made the bed daily. They didn't change the sheets. I have to scratch my head at why a place like this wouldn't maintain these minor areas of its property. The jacuzzi tub with the view was pure bliss. There was a rain shower which I also thoroughly enjoyed. Yet every time we used the water something, the water pump?, would pound and thump. The first time I heard it I thought someone nearby had slipped on the walkway or dropped their luggage. When we arrived and for most afternoons the tent was uncomfortably warm. It was cooler outside, than inside the tent, but the mosquitoes kept us inside. At night it cooled off nicely and the heated floors were wonderful in the morning. I think this would be a better place to stay in the spring, fall or even the winter. There was a small coffee pot, coffee cups, glasses, wine glasses and a small refrigerator. We took advantage of this to do some cheese, crackers, fruit and wine one afternoon. While out in the area we mentioned to one of the locals where we were staying and he says "Oh, you're staying at the wedding factory". Since we were there Sunday through Wednesday we didn't have to deal with that. There is no wifi in the tents. Take that how you will. We actually checked out a day early and I think that pretty much sums it up. Our money would have been better spent elsewhere...

We did not have a recommendable experience with the restaurant on site either.

5  Thank Andreastravels
Reviewed 11 July 2014

It was a very nice yellow ribbon event for my wife and I. She recently redeployed from Kuwait and a few days of tranquility was very nice. The yurt style bugaboos were private enough, your own deck, and the sound of waves....boats, float planes, was very nice. okay at times the later two could have been less. We were obviously there at the wrong time, and Mosquitoes love me for dinner. Not the fault of the resort, but, made it very difficult for me to be outside much, and well, not that that was a bad thing ;). You are paying for tranquility and the view, the sun sets were pretty awesome, and I recommend the Lighthouse Pub in SeSchelt for dinner.

Room Tip: Wifi will not work out at the yurts, so if you want that, you need to be close the resort proper. It...
1  Thank Kjay_diver
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stunning vistas, Nature at it's most glorious. Welcoming staff. Superb dining. We thoroughly enjoyed our four nights at this beautiful resort. While many come only because they are guests at weddings held at this beautiful locale, it is very much worthwhile spending time here just because you deserve to be pampered. While there are luxurious tent accommodations available, we enjoyed our stay in one of the cabins. There are also rooms available in the main building, but I cannot comment on them.
While the queen-size bed was very comfortable for one person, it was uncomfortable for two people - each of us could feel every single movement of the other throughout the night. Not much sleep. The actual bedding/linens were lovely. (I just noticed that we are not the first to find the beds uncomfortable.)
Window coverings that keep out the early morning sun would be useful; the blinds provide only privacy.
Prices for accommodation depend on the season. Pricey either way, but delightful.
The manager, Dikran, went out of his way to be helpful.

Room Tip: Go further from the main building. Cabin 8 is good if you have difficulty with mobility. Close par...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We came to this resort for a wedding party. Room is pre-arranged by others. I'd been in similar tent house in Muskoka, Ontario. But here are more attractive in location. Walking on the newly build wooden path way in the early morning of summer is an un-forgettable feeling for a city-man.

Room Tip: Rooms are very good on noise-absorbing. We had weeding party in the ball room down stair but was so...
1  Thank William T
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I've had difficulty putting a title to this review. "Rockwater - A Place For Lovers". "A Grastronomical Delight". "A Fabulous Stay On BC's Sunshine Coast". "This Gives Camping Outdoors A New Meaning". "Camping Under The Stars", and a whole lot more. My wife first saw the place in a magazine about 10 years ago and dreamed that we would one day take a getaway vacation here. As she herself said, this is where the reality of the place exceeds the dream!

From my first contact with Sue on the other side of the country back in December, until the morning we left Rockwater in June, the Rockwater experience - and that's the only way to describe it - is unreal. We took two of their "Getaway Packages" - 2 nights accomodation, 2 breakfasts, one relaxation massage, and one 3-course dinner with wine pairings - along with one night's accommodation for a total of 5 nights and 4 days. (I tried to get three of their Getaway Packages but at the time we booked in mid-December, the resort was full).

We arrived late Sunday afternoon taking the ferry from Horshoe Bay (north of Vancouver) to Langdale and a 45 minute drive north on Hwy 101. The front of the place is very unprepossessing, very, very simple. But the minute you step inside, you know that this place is different.

Accommodations consist of 3 types - the older cabins and the two-storey motel. And then there are the tent suites. Yeah! The tent suites. This gives "camping" a whole new meaning! Spacious. Well appointed. An incredible view. A bathtub like you wouldn't believe. A small fridge. Granite tile floors. Lots of light. Lots of privacy. In the middle of the forest. Overlooking Secret Cove, Howe Sound, and the Straits of Georgia. Vancouver Island off in the distance. Fresh air. An eagle doing acrobatics. Humming birds within reach. And sunshine - did I mention sunshine?

While the dinner menu is limited, this is fine dining at its best. An excellent variety of selections from seafood to steak, the best seafood chowder I've ever tasted. Superb presentation. Delivered at the right moment. Add to that some wine pairings and you can get very mellow at the end of a 2-hour dinner with ma belle femme sitting across from me, watching the eagle soar above us, or watching the sun starting to set. Did I mention that Rockwater is for lovers?

Short 45-minute drives north or south will take you to Gibsons Landing and Mollys Reach - home of that old CBC televisions series "The Beachcombers", or to Backeddy - literally at the end of the road and the Scookumchuck Narrows. Whether its Mollys Reach in Gibsons Landing for lunch, the Backeddy Pub in Backeddy or the Blue Heron in Sechelt for dinner, there was always an establishment that knew how to do it right.

As I said at the beginning, I've had difficulty putting a title to this review. "Rockwater - A Place For Lovers". "A Grastronomical Delight". "A Fabulous Stay On BC's Sunshine Coast". "This Gives Camping Outdoors A New Meaning". "Camping Under The Stars". Take your pick - or all of the above.

Room Tip: Pick the tent suites. Bring along a bottle of wine or two. Leave your Crackberry, tablet or laptop...
2  Thank Robert A M
#4 of 13 in Parksville
Secret Cove Cottage Suites
Secret Cove Cottage Suites
#1 of 1 in Halfmoon Bay

Been to Rockwater Secret Cove Resort? Share your experiences!