“Not Worth the 5-star price”

Rockwater Secret Cove Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halfmoon Bay
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed here for one night this August for a wedding in one of the tent suites. To sum it up it is not worth it when there is new places like the Pointhouse that are close enough (at half the price), and the service/cleaning might be better.

Good points:
-View is nice
-Nice to be located at resort if you are attending a wedding there
- Tea in room was fantastic
- Bed is comfortable

Bad
-Food in pool area is definitely not suited for pool. This needs to be fixed and maybe have a snack menu suited for the pool.
- Pool area service is bad. Who doesn't bring napkins and cutlery when serving people food. I ordered, and had to ask for this. My friends joined me later, and also had to request this.
- Fireplace in room was not working. It would make noises like it was trying to turn on, but it wouldn't. It does get cold in the tent suite at night, and the morning, so this would have been nice.
- The room staff should be cleaning the glass on the balcony. Every day they should take a squeegee and do this (or at least every other day). You get this room for the view, and there was bird poop on the glass and other marks. When sitting on the patio furniture you have to look through the glass, and this definitely took away from the experience.
- Receipt was not e-mailed to me even though I requested it at check out and didn't take a printed copy with me

Iffy points
- Wedding food was dry. Was not sure if this was the fault of the hotel, or the wedding party was late for dinner.
- Check-in staff seem aloof. You get the friendly vibe, but not the professional vibe. It is definitely a small town community type of feel with the staff (which Halfmoon Bay is small).

I think that this hotel capitalizes on its past glory and weddings. As new hotels pop up, this hotel is going to need to consider lowering its rates. I paid almost $550 for one night. For the price, you would think that everything about the suite would be impeccably clean, and the services in its facilities be of a 5-star quality. I understand that this is in Halfmoon Bay where the lifestyle is more laid back, but if it wants to charge the prices it does, it needs to up its game. Higher end complimentary toiletries (maybe even the bulgari ones), working amenities, and on-point staff. I don't think that I would stay here again unless offered a significant discount. I saw pictures of the Pointhouse and some properties offered on AirBnB, and think that I would choose them over this.

All of that said, I am thankful I stayed in the suite versus the three bedroom cabin I booked earlier. I visited friends that were staying in a cabin, and I definitely would have felt claustrophobic in it. They said their bed was not comfortable, but I got a good sleep in mine. If you do have to stay here, I recommend a tent. It is a lot more money, but better than a cabin.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank PK_Vancouver

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We had an amazing time at the Rockwater- our tent was better then im imagined- the walk to the tent was enchanting and beautiful. I will say that although our dinner was good chances are I wont eat there again or at the very least will order to my room- the thing I don't love about this place is that the restaurant is very outdated and unfortunately for us on our first night of our honeymoon there also happened to be a wedding party having rehearsal so we were unable to use the pool as they take over the pool so then we went for dinner but we were unable to use the outdoor deck as the wedding party was moving up there next so we were stuck inside an outdated over heated restaurant. Having said that, we packed our food up and continued our meal on our magical deck and it was fabulous. All staff were 10 out of 10- I did feel that our meal was over priced but our room was priced to reflect how amazing that accommodation is. My excellent rating is directly related to the tent room on ocean view and the kind staff. The sounds of the ocean, the chirping of birds and the fresh breeze coming through our room-

Room Tip: Ocean view tent or a different tent- maybe a cabin- i wouldnt want to stay in the hotel portion.
1  Thank AmandaEmans
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Interesting setting on the Sunshine Coast, but not what should be considered a 4.5 star resort. The spot was choosen based on previous reviews and comments are applicable to the main lodge rooms where we had a second floor suite. Great food with good service until things got busy at dinner time. Shared balcony on some rooms which seems to mean you have access to the balcony only when there is no one in the ajoining room. Bathroom sink was full of chips, floor was marked up and there was something sprayed on the bathroom ceiling. The smoking policy appears unclear and this means there are guests smoking on their balconies which also means that smoke is drawn into adjacant rooms as the windows are open since there is no ac.

Room Tip: 2nd floor end suite Room 47 bedroom window faces the discharge from the laundry dryers so you may wa...
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We were fortunate to be invited to this beautiful couples wedding here at the Rockwater, it is a very nice older resort in an awsome location. We were put up in the main building in a good sized double queen room, the bed was super comfy with nice bedding(slept like a baby) could of been the free bar but the bed was GREAT. When we got there at 2pm on a gorgeous Aug.day we entered the room and with the patio closed of course it was a little stagnant and hot so opening the sliding door for some fresh air helped a little.I went to what i thought was the A/C but noticed it was just for heat after a few more checks on possible A/C locations alas there was none,oh well not the end of the world but strange as even the cheapest motels we have stayed in have had A/C so there must of been a good reason for none here maybe power supply to this remote area wont allow for it, when we return on our own and at our expense i'll ask the super friendly staff as to why but today we were here to celebrate not to nit pick so on to the party..... Awsome Awsome Awsome did i mention it was AWSOME...lol. The food was top notch!! melt in your mouth roasted ribeye which the carving chef told me is slow cooked overnight it was just superb, perfectly cooked veg. teder juicy chicken breasts in a velvety rich brown sauce, properly cooked salmon (which is hard to pull off on a buffet) and all the salads and sides were good too. All in all an excellent time made possible by the wonderful hosts, beautiful bride and handsome groom along with the Rockwater staff... Thanks so very much for the invite and we will definately be heading back on our own to stay in the oceanside tent cabins. Steve & Iris :)

Room Tip: be nice to people and good thing come back to you :) honey not vinegar smiles not frowns..... just...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I went with my family here for my sisters wedding. They had a tent suite and we rented a couple of the cabins. There were multiple mosquitos flying around inside along with spiders in the shower and plenty of dead bugs along the window ledges. Location was beautiful. Food was good. They did send someone to come clean the room after we checked in and complained... But to little to late. My sister also booked a videographer along with her wedding package that never did show up. HUGE unforgiving mistake. They were not going to do anything about it. Upon our group checking out after our couple days stay I went to the desk to discuss this with her and the people at the front desk. They had not offered anything. After describing to them the major importance of their error they gave her a voucher for a weekend stay for her and her husband. I still didnt think that justified it. So thank goodness for phones these days as i captured the majority of the wedding with the video camera on my blackberry. So warning to all!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Jake787
Dikran Z, General Manager at Rockwater Secret Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Jake787,

Thank you very much for your comments pertaining to your stay dating back to September 2013.

It was certainly very unfortunate that the videographer which your sister made arrangements for her Elopment was a no show which we sincerely apologize for.

Please note that our Elopment Package does not include the services of a videographer but rather of a photographer which we offered the bride upon booking but she wanted to make her own arrangements as such.

Also as a gesture of goodwill we provided the Bride and The Groom with a two night stay at a future date.

Wishing you all the very best and thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

A lovely little hideaway on BC's Sunshine Coast, in a secluded spot looking west towards Vancouver Island. Breakfast lunch and dinner were all excellent, with a nice selection of fresh seafood dishes. We stayed in one of the older wooden cabins which was absolutely fine: comfortable bed, clean and simple shower room. The more upmarket tents looked excellent. This is a high end resort for the area so probably better for couples, though there are plenty of outdoor activities in the vicinity.

3  Thank Andrew M

Hello Andrew M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on line pertaining to your recent stay with us.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Resort is overpriced. $270 a night for a room that has no AC, wasn't cleaned and needs serious update. I requested an early check in and they gave me the run around why they could not have it ready. Staff was rolling their eyes when asked to do something. The food and drinks were overpriced and the overall experience was terrible. I will never stay there again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank guest12344

Dear Guest 12344,

Thank You very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

Although none of our 38 units are equipped with Air Conditioning units we do however have fans in all rooms for our guests comfort.

As for early check ins, it is based on request and availability therefore not guaranteed but we do our outmost best to accomodate requests as such.

As for price points, we are comparable to any other similiar operation on the Sunshine Coast.

However please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of service which you received during your stay with us which was uncalled for.

Wishing you all the very best.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Halfmoon Bay
Secret Cove Cottage Suites
Secret Cove Cottage Suites
#1 of 1 in Halfmoon Bay
Backeddy Resort & Marina

Been to Rockwater Secret Cove Resort? Share your experiences!