“Very Relaxing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halfmoon Bay
Peace River, Alberta
“Very Relaxing”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My wife and I booked a three night stay in one of the tent suites for our honeymoon, our total cost was $2800.00 (ouch) but included was a $175.00 (their value) dinner, two $35.00 breakfasts, one 1 hour couples massage along the water, one couples facial and a float plane flight through the sechelt inlet (sorry do know costs of massages and inlet tour but I am estimating $200 each for the massages and 140 for the flight). So basically, for three nights in a tent suite cost us $2000.00, basically you are paying $650/night to sleep in a tent, we do not regret it as we felt three days of pure bliss as far as sleeping was concerned.
There is a kayak rental place on site but we went out for an hour and a half and they charged us well over $100, I would recommend renting elsewhere for a few days so that you aren't forced to have them back before 5pm (closing time). We did not use the pool as it was busy and full of the guests staying in the other suites on the premisses. w
They try to pull off the fancy restaurant thing by over charging for their food in a dining room that definitely needs to be upgraded...one night we had dinner a little later, they left the doors open to late and the restaurant was filled with mosquitoes, my wife and I spent the first night of our honeymoon warding off mosquitoes, to which we were offered a can of OFF! from the friendly server but we weren't planning on smelling like bug repellent on our romantic night - totally disappointed with how they handled things in this regard. I would recommend eating elsewhere, as the food is not worth the money or the bug bites. The staff is however, exemplary, we always had very friendly service with a smile from attentive service.
The spa is very good but not excellent, the outdoor seaside tandem massage that we received with out honeymoon was super relaxing but it's right beside the dock and the kids playing were slightly disruptive. Again, not a knock on the staff, as they are top notch massage therapists!
You do not get Wifi from the tents despite what they tell you. I used my phone as a hot spot in order to get internet, which was not really necessary for this type of escape, so no gripes about that.
Overall, if you don't mind the price tag, this is a great place for a romantic getaway. I would suggest to the hotel themselves to work toward a few things:
1) Isolate the restaurant so that bugs cannot get in
2) offer a more expansive menu throughout the day as the night time menu is lacking and too pricey
3) Build a quiet pool for those looking to relax (adult pool) without children

Great place to relax but not easy on the pocket book - not for value seekers, especially when it comes to eating at this resort.

Room Tip: Tent #60 is immediately above the water and gets a lot of afternoon sun, the tent inside is hot on s...
1 Thank TravelwoBob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Fort St. John, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This is a beautiful location and if you are looking for a nice ocean view and don't care about the room, this location may be for you. I stayed in a room that resembled the old outside entrance 'rowhouse' style with two floors. Although they have attempted to put new bedding and curtains in the room, its definitely a very old motel. I made the following observations:

- my white sheets were very stained with no fewer than five large brown stains
- I wouldn't call the room dirty, but it definitely wasn't clean
- no fridge, clock in the room
- furniture was old and tired looking
- friends staying next to us had no coffee in their room
- no A/C
- wifi was quite slow

The wedding I attended was beautiful and I had a great time but I most definitely feel that they are trying to pass this location off as a high end resort when in reality it feels like an tired old country Inn. They will have to do some major cleaning and renovating to get the 'feel' of a high end resort. I'm not sure how they justify the high prices. Considering I stayed in the cheapest option on the property, I did not experience a getaway that would justify $270 per night.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank S L
Winnipeg
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed in the cabins... the one in front of the septic field. Mistake! There is both the odor and the view is blocked by the whole septic processing station. The cabin is showing it's age - that was noticeable when getting into bed on the far side of the bed. A definite slope of the floor. Can't say how the motel and tent cabins were, but the 'Robinson Crusoe type stairs and walkways up to and around the tents were quaint and seemed somewhat magical.
We booked a couples massage down by the ocean-side. That was relaxing and quite a nice experience.
This resort is in a great place but the cabins could use some updating and some changes that will make them seem more inviting to sit outside and relax... like a bit of privacy lattice or something.
Staff was good in both check in and out. We had one meal in the restaurant and it was enjoyable. We never got to the pool to check it out. Parking seems to be a bit of a challenge as there were numerous vehicles lining the road on the way down into the resort.

Room Tip: Stay away from Cabin 6 for sure...the septic field is too close
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed here for one night this August for a wedding in one of the tent suites. To sum it up it is not worth it when there is new places like the Pointhouse that are close enough (at half the price), and the service/cleaning might be better.

Good points:
-View is nice
-Nice to be located at resort if you are attending a wedding there
- Tea in room was fantastic
- Bed is comfortable

Bad
-Food in pool area is definitely not suited for pool. This needs to be fixed and maybe have a snack menu suited for the pool.
- Pool area service is bad. Who doesn't bring napkins and cutlery when serving people food. I ordered, and had to ask for this. My friends joined me later, and also had to request this.
- Fireplace in room was not working. It would make noises like it was trying to turn on, but it wouldn't. It does get cold in the tent suite at night, and the morning, so this would have been nice.
- The room staff should be cleaning the glass on the balcony. Every day they should take a squeegee and do this (or at least every other day). You get this room for the view, and there was bird poop on the glass and other marks. When sitting on the patio furniture you have to look through the glass, and this definitely took away from the experience.
- Receipt was not e-mailed to me even though I requested it at check out and didn't take a printed copy with me

Iffy points
- Wedding food was dry. Was not sure if this was the fault of the hotel, or the wedding party was late for dinner.
- Check-in staff seem aloof. You get the friendly vibe, but not the professional vibe. It is definitely a small town community type of feel with the staff (which Halfmoon Bay is small).

I think that this hotel capitalizes on its past glory and weddings. As new hotels pop up, this hotel is going to need to consider lowering its rates. I paid almost $550 for one night. For the price, you would think that everything about the suite would be impeccably clean, and the services in its facilities be of a 5-star quality. I understand that this is in Halfmoon Bay where the lifestyle is more laid back, but if it wants to charge the prices it does, it needs to up its game. Higher end complimentary toiletries (maybe even the bulgari ones), working amenities, and on-point staff. I don't think that I would stay here again unless offered a significant discount. I saw pictures of the Pointhouse and some properties offered on AirBnB, and think that I would choose them over this.

All of that said, I am thankful I stayed in the suite versus the three bedroom cabin I booked earlier. I visited friends that were staying in a cabin, and I definitely would have felt claustrophobic in it. They said their bed was not comfortable, but I got a good sleep in mine. If you do have to stay here, I recommend a tent. It is a lot more money, but better than a cabin.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank PK_Vancouver
Mission, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We had an amazing time at the Rockwater- our tent was better then im imagined- the walk to the tent was enchanting and beautiful. I will say that although our dinner was good chances are I wont eat there again or at the very least will order to my room- the thing I don't love about this place is that the restaurant is very outdated and unfortunately for us on our first night of our honeymoon there also happened to be a wedding party having rehearsal so we were unable to use the pool as they take over the pool so then we went for dinner but we were unable to use the outdoor deck as the wedding party was moving up there next so we were stuck inside an outdated over heated restaurant. Having said that, we packed our food up and continued our meal on our magical deck and it was fabulous. All staff were 10 out of 10- I did feel that our meal was over priced but our room was priced to reflect how amazing that accommodation is. My excellent rating is directly related to the tent room on ocean view and the kind staff. The sounds of the ocean, the chirping of birds and the fresh breeze coming through our room-

Room Tip: Ocean view tent or a different tent- maybe a cabin- i wouldnt want to stay in the hotel portion.
1 Thank AmandaEmans
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Interesting setting on the Sunshine Coast, but not what should be considered a 4.5 star resort. The spot was choosen based on previous reviews and comments are applicable to the main lodge rooms where we had a second floor suite. Great food with good service until things got busy at dinner time. Shared balcony on some rooms which seems to mean you have access to the balcony only when there is no one in the ajoining room. Bathroom sink was full of chips, floor was marked up and there was something sprayed on the bathroom ceiling. The smoking policy appears unclear and this means there are guests smoking on their balconies which also means that smoke is drawn into adjacant rooms as the windows are open since there is no ac.

Room Tip: 2nd floor end suite Room 47 bedroom window faces the discharge from the laundry dryers so you may wa...
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We were fortunate to be invited to this beautiful couples wedding here at the Rockwater, it is a very nice older resort in an awsome location. We were put up in the main building in a good sized double queen room, the bed was super comfy with nice bedding(slept like a baby) could of been the free bar but the bed was GREAT. When we got there at 2pm on a gorgeous Aug.day we entered the room and with the patio closed of course it was a little stagnant and hot so opening the sliding door for some fresh air helped a little.I went to what i thought was the A/C but noticed it was just for heat after a few more checks on possible A/C locations alas there was none,oh well not the end of the world but strange as even the cheapest motels we have stayed in have had A/C so there must of been a good reason for none here maybe power supply to this remote area wont allow for it, when we return on our own and at our expense i'll ask the super friendly staff as to why but today we were here to celebrate not to nit pick so on to the party..... Awsome Awsome Awsome did i mention it was AWSOME...lol. The food was top notch!! melt in your mouth roasted ribeye which the carving chef told me is slow cooked overnight it was just superb, perfectly cooked veg. teder juicy chicken breasts in a velvety rich brown sauce, properly cooked salmon (which is hard to pull off on a buffet) and all the salads and sides were good too. All in all an excellent time made possible by the wonderful hosts, beautiful bride and handsome groom along with the Rockwater staff... Thanks so very much for the invite and we will definately be heading back on our own to stay in the oceanside tent cabins. Steve & Iris :)

Room Tip: be nice to people and good thing come back to you :) honey not vinegar smiles not frowns..... just...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,940 reviews
Secret Cove Cottage Suites
Secret Cove Cottage Suites
#1 of 1 in Halfmoon Bay

Been to Rockwater Secret Cove Resort? Share your experiences!