“The Most AMAZING Experience; a Dream Come True!”

Rockwater Secret Cove Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halfmoon Bay
Reviewed 31 December 2008

I first experienced Rockwater with my fiance (now husband) over a year ago. We wanted a relaxed and luxurious getaway with a flavor for adventure ... not an easy mix to find. Upon arrival, we were intrigued by the dirt road wandering up to the property. Around the last bend, were we ever surprised! The wooded drive gives way to the most majestic view of the cove; the hotel is exquisite with expansive grounds surrounded by lush forest and arbutus trees. The cabins dot the property and are quaint and quite rustic but when we peeked inside - wow! Gorgeous, spotless ... beautiful amenities like fluffy terry robes and decadent duvets!
After touring the grounds, the hotel and restaurant, we dipped our feet in the pool overlooking the ocean. Too cold to swim as it was storm season! We strolled up the boardwalk to our tenthouse suite - toasty and warm, heated slate floors and the most breathtaking sunset I have ever seen (and I am from NW Ontario!). Our dinner was 5 star cuisine - a great menu from the chef and fantastic wines! The staff is incredible ... they treated us like family! We loved our stay so much we booked our wedding the following June! Again, not one complaint! Kevin, Maria and the rest of the Rockwater staff made our holiday and wedding one to remember! Everything was looked after from start to end ... set-up, organizing, a rain tent (just in case), welcoming guests and delivery of gift baskets to rooms ... even a last-minute tuxedo emergency with the groom ... his button fell off and someone ran up all the way from the front desk to sew a new one on! What more can you ask for? Phenomenal.
We have already booked our one year anniversary!
I cannot recommend this resort property enough - if you are looking for a touch of adventure in the great outdoors, yet want to eat gourmet cuisine and enjoy the spa life, Rockwater is for you! Year round it is fantastic ... when the weather is warm prepare for kayaking, the outdoor spa, horseback riding, golf ... even private catered excursions. For even more fun, book a seaplane to fly you in! When it is winter, sit back and relax with a good book and a fine glass of wine. Absolute Heaven! Trust me, you will have a blast, rain or shine! Jennifer Gibson-Malone

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 December 2008

Cheesy motel accomodations at resort prices! I stayed in cabin #8 with a friend for $179.00 per night. We were switched to an "upgraded" cabin at the last moment without our knowledge or consent. The "upgraded" cabin had not been aired or vaccumed. There were mouse droppings on the floor. The bathroom had probably seen its heyday in the 60s and had not been renovated since. The television, kettle, coffee maker and fridge looked liked bargain basement cast offs. There were not enough toiletries supplied and the towels were threadbare. The decor was "ecclectic" to say the least and there were draperies obscuring what was the only redeeming feature of our 1920s summer camp style cottage-the spectacular view. Staff were pushy wen it came to trying to sell outrageously overpriced spa treatments and dinners in their pricey restaurant. Don't be fooled by the slick website! This is an unprofessionally run "resort" and not worth spending your hard earned money on. Do I feel ripped off? You bet!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 December 2008

The website offers very misleading pictures of Rockwater. I will admit that the view from the windows are some of the most spectacular I have ever had...that is where the luxury pictured on the web ends.

We had reviewed a number of higher end stays for a week over Christmas. All I can say we `are looking forward to leaving tomorrow...a few days early. To say the Honeymoon (usually the higher end accomodation) cabin is cozy is an understatement. We were told there was a tub...there was not..we asked about a microwave and were told there was one...there was not..I did not mind the rusticness but if I had wanted rustic I would have looked for rustic. I was looking for something a little better and did not find it.

I should have reviewed this site first. Apparently some of the cabins are renovated. Really.??

I guess that could account for the mold on the bathroom ceiling.

This is a place I would bring my buddies to stay on a drinking/golfing weekend but not my girlfriend or wife,

The food was great but appies and a couple of drinks for $150...it is definately overpriced...we went into town for the rest of our meals.

There is an old saying that goes when she's happy..everybody is happy...she saw the bathroom first ...they said there was a tub ...like I said , we're going home

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2008

The niece had her wedding at this supposed fancy resort by the ocean. It does have a nice view, but for the $$$ it was way overpriced. We rented a two bedroom bungalow and what a dump. The carpets looked original from the 50's and had all the stains to go with it, the bathroom was an act of acrobatics to use the facilities, if the cabin tilted anymore it would have slid down the hill. The cabins were very filthy, dead bugs all over the place, maybe that was to give the impression of one roughing it in the wilds I guess. The wiring was pretty dated and looked like a fire hazard. My brother stayed in the main part of the resort and their room wasn't too bad. All in all way overpriced for the accommodation and food, (the only place to eat within a few mile radius so I guess that justified the prices) so I would have a tough time to recommend this to anyone at their prices.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank FXSTS02
Reviewed 30 October 2008

Stayed 4 nights in a tentsuite (#57----a great, very private one) for a relaxing, quiet couple getaway. This is considered off season ("red wine and a good book season") so the rate for the tentsuite was significantly lower than it is in the summer months.
One cannot possibly argue how fantastic they have done up the tents. The radiant heated slate tiled floors, the fireplace, the Daniadown comforter and pillows...they really did splash out. The highlight was the new BainUltra Air tubs, big enuf for two, with chromotherapy lights to set whatever mood you want....I've been gone 8 hours and I sorrily miss that tub. The coolness of the weather this time of year made the tent even better---very cozy. We got one full day of cloud and rain, which actually made staying inside, under the covers, by the fireplace, reading a book sweet perfection.
As for previous complaints about management etc, we had no problems, and it may be because things were relatively quiet. However, we hunkered down in the tent and were happy to have the housekeeping skip our tent for a day (requested it actually)...we were not there to be waited on.
The restaurant food and service was excellent, we ate dinner there twice. They were not open 2/4 of our nights, but we didn't really mind driving into Sechelt for dinner...the Old Boot Italian joint was fantastic. Breakfast was ok, a straightforward continental, not remarkable, but all we needed.
Had a massage in the winter spa tent, very nice!
Overall, as a couple looking for a quiet,private, pampering treat, this fit the bill really nicely. I would love to go back. It would seem they are gradually upgrading the whole site and if they continue in the same manner they have with the tents, this place will be untouchable in a few years.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2008

This place is GOING to be great - but theyre not quite there yet. We booked a regular room in the lodge but when we got there, we upgraded to a tentsuite. It was a lot more $ but Im very pleased we did - I have stayed in similarly luxurious places for a lot more money. I think the tentsuites are good value. But then, we are British travelling in dollars!
My verdict is - give them another six months to a year and they'll have themselves a lovely hideaway resort. I get the impression that the hotel is in the middle of a transition. For example, the tentsuites suggest amazing luxury and obviously target honeymooners and the like. However, the restaurant and the lodge itself are kind of throwbacks to the eighties. Perfectly pleasant and nice environments, but nothing special at all. However, the food is fantastic. Not cheap, but superb - they need to keep hold of that chef because he makes this place special. I dont think they are really in a position to be able to charge what they are charging - yet!
We booked treatments in the spa that were excellent, and though not cheap, on a par with a decent hotel spa so not bad at all. The Spa manager = who also handled our check in etc - was also excellent and v professional. however, while I was having my relaxing massage, she was outside trying to get the screaming kidss in the pool to quieten down. See what I mean? They seem to mean well, but are struggling to deliver. poor kid was only playing in the pool, but I had paid top dollar for a relaxing treatment in a dreamy, away from it all place. Maybe this hotel is trying to be all things to all people? They need to decide what they are and target that market - is it spa-hotel for honeymooners and corporate types getting away from it all? They are not quite there. There was also a wedding on when we were there, and we also struggled to get the attention of the hotel staff once all the guests had arrived. We were also not informed when we booked/arrived that there was a wedding on. We too thought that the breakfast was poor, both the offer and its display - its served from a tiny bar area so its congested for guests and hard for staff to manage. We thought the waiting staff were lovely though and I believe someone had spent a good deal of time training them - they were really very pleasant and helpful.
In summary, this hotel has huge potential but doesnt make the mark. Yet. Once it gets over its identity crisis, its going to be a jewel in the Crown that is the beautiful Sunshine Coast. I wish them the best of luck. And if you can get a tentsuite, dont let the above put you off - its position on the cliff edge and those sunsets can make one overlook the small things....
PS> Skip Sechelt and head straight for Gibsons if you are looking to spend some time in a cute town and dont have much (time).

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Thank S_G.UK
Reviewed 1 October 2008

We stayed three nights in one of the renovated cabins because that is the only way we could have our dog with us. The cabin is very small (no more than 2 people will fit) and there is nowhere to cook. Staff was friendly but not overly helpful. We had to ask for bathrobes and our room was not cleaned once during our stay, even after we asked for new towels and told them to refresh our room. For the amount of money that we paid I find that absolut terrible service. Breakfast was okay, nothing special though. Overall, I would not stay there again mainly because for a resort Rockwater is lacking professional attitude and service.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
#4 of 13 in Parksville
Secret Cove Cottage Suites
Secret Cove Cottage Suites
#1 of 1 in Halfmoon Bay

Been to Rockwater Secret Cove Resort? Share your experiences!