“Special Diets??”

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Visited in May, September and October. The pub is nicely presented and welcoming. Some areas need a bit of attention but nothing a small renovation can't fix. I would recommend checking the allergy table on their website before going to guide your choice, because some of the staff are clueless about any dietary requirements. Didn't feel 100% confident that my choice was definitely not containing any dairy. My husband's burger was really nice but arrived without all the items specified on the menu. We did get this rectified, but it took a long time to get food, even though it wasnt very busy. Can be very hot in the restaurant, but sitting by a window doesn't help as customers seem encouraged to smoke right near the front door and windows. You end up getting a lung full of smoke for free with your meal!

1  Thank Lisa G
Drayton C, Manager at The Cock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Hi Lisa, thank you for leaving us some feedback, we are sorry to hear that you didn't feel confident in the information you were given, we have since briefed the team on how to deal with allergies and hope that if you visit us in the future you will have a better experience.
Thank you for bringing it to our attention about the smoker, we have now moved the cigarette buckets further from the entrance.
We hope you will visit again soon so we can look after you in a much more positive way.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Had a Christmas meal this evening with colleagues from work. Me and hubby are both vegan and had pre ordered separate meals to ensure we got vegan food. What we didn't however expect was for our vegan starter to come with a packet of butter (would have been a disaster for me as I'm allergic to cows milk) and the desert came with a jug of non vegan custard. I can only hope that the rest of the meal was definatly vegan.

Hi Cheyl, Thank you for your feedback, I was really disappinted to hear that you were given butter to go with your starter, obviously it shouldn't have happened and I know the waiter was very embarrased that he did not recognise your wishes until afterwards.
I do hope that your experience hasn't put you off and you give us the opportunity to look after you again.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I had lunch last Friday with my two sisters to kick off a weekend of family celebrations.
Being a bit of a food snob (bore, some may say), I was a little trepidatious as this is clearly a pub chain. However to my delight we were greeted quickly, and seated promptly. The menu was surprising in its range and offered so much more than the standard pub chain fare of lasagne, curry or pie. I had the beef short ribs and mash. These were actually divine! Three thick ends of rib, cooked for ever in a rich sauce, leaving the beef unctuous, soft, tasty and delightfully gelatinous. It was served with mash and some or other veg, which I didn't eat, as I pigged out on the beef and was too full of bovine goodness to bother with a couple of my five a day - which is quite an achievement as my appetite is notoriously large. The sisters of no mercy both played safe with scampi and seemed happy enough.
The Pinot Grigio was very fresh and served ice cold.
The loos were user friendly and bleachy clean, although the window opening onto the carpark was a little disconcerting, as I could clearly see the outside world, therefore the outside world could clearly see me....
All in all a successful visit, with just enough banter with the staff. Next time I'm that way, I'm going to try those ribs again. Yum!

1  Thank Ellecantere

Thank you so much for leaving us some lovely feedback, we are really pleased that you enjoyed your food, wine and overall experience.
We hope to see you very soon.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Popped in for a quick lunch, found a table straight away and the waitress was quick to take our order. We may have caught them on a bad day but lunch was some 20 minuets in the making. My wife had the chicken melt and daughter had a burger, I plumped for the beef and ale pie, this I would not return to as it was a bit grizzly. The other two meals were fine, standard pub fodder, nothing special but filled a hole without cause to complain. The surroundings are pleasant but some areas are looking tired, the toilets in particular could do with a spruce up. I would go again but only as a convenience rather than destination of want.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Special offer on at the moment so second visit this week. Had a really nice lamb and spinach curry, couple of pints of Hobgoblin and desert. Wife and daughter had lamb chops/veggie option and were impressed by the quality. Great friendly service and a very fair price. Will certainly go again (well it is only 10 minutes away)