We wished to travel as a family of four (two children, aged 4 and 6) and stay somewhere in or around Norwich to allow us to split our time between North Norfolk and Suffolk at reasonable cost. The initial impression is - frankly - a worry: a bleak tarmac car park. But once inside, the interior is pleasant, the rooms a decent size and quite comfortable and reception welcoming. The hotel also shows signs of care and maintenance - everywhere was clean, tidy and freshly decorated.
The main attraction was the use of a pool. The pool was quite good - deep enough and long enough to get into a rhythm and actually swim lengths. I didn't try the sauna or steam room, but they looked to be typical of a hotel. The men's changing area could - perhaps - be cleaner, but it was up to normal standards.
We tried the bar meals: Everything was fine - nothing exciting or unusual but decent value considering the modest prices charged. There were also two real ales on tap - my Adnams Bitter was in good condition when it arrived. The breakfast service was good enough considering the room pricing.
So far, so good - there's nothing wrong with the place on the whole and if you enjoy Golf (a mystery to me but it takes all sorts I suppose) then having two courses close by would make it a good choice. And yet, the place lacks that touch of something extra. It needs a few modest extras - a box of tissues in the room was my wife's suggestion - along with somewhere to buy a few odds and ends, such as a bottle of cola. as is common is hotels in the US. Somehow it all feels a bit institutional - more like a management training centre than a hotel.
There is a lot to like, yet somehow it doesn't quite click. I would be quite happy to return at some point and if I were sent there for work I'd be quite content for two or three days. If we were doing the same trip again, its location would make it a good choice. But for someone looking for a hotel in Norwich, there may be better choices.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in 350 acres of breathtaking Norfolk countryside you’ll have plenty to choose from at Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club. Perhaps you are thinking of taking a weekend break in Norfolk, or a Golf break in Norwich, and would like to be only 5 miles from Norwich’s nightlife, shopping and culture and just 30 minutes from the beautiful North Norfolk coastline. Our convenient location and transport links make us the perfect Norwich Airport Hotel. Whatever the purpose of your visit, anything is possible at Wensum Valley Hotel, Golf and Country Club.Wensum Valley Hotel offers 2 of the finest golf courses in Norfolk. Both 18-hole courses are free draining, meaning they are playable all year round with no temporary greens! Our 90 en-suite rooms are both comfortable and welcoming after a round on the course, fishing on the river Wensum or a day out in Norfolk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wensum Valley Hotel And Country
- Wensum Valley Hotel Golf And Country Club Taverham, Norfolk, UK